Getting Double Unders

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
OK, so the time has finally come to get these locked down. Does anyone have any tips as to how they were able to get them?

My general plan is to work on the rope at least 15 minutes every day I'm in the gym. Also going to try to do some in my backyard as well (using a yoga mat to keep the rope from scuffing too bad.)

I have my own rope and am going to re-measure it today to make sure it is sized accurately. I've watched a few videos on what my progressions should be. Just wondering what has worked for the people on here.

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i did something similar. I spent every other day practicing. i'd set the timer for 10 minutes and count how many i could get in that time. the key is just practice once you finally get your first one.
  • pookaroo78
    pookaroo78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have problems linking them, I do a single, double, single...I've been doing that for a year! :grumble:
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can only get a DU after a few singles, and I seem to come down too hard after I get one...its not a fluid movement yet. My coach can usually bust out quite a few in a row, but she said to start that she'd do 1-2 singles for every double, to work on the timing. Good luck!!!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I practice 5 minutes about 3 times a week and my progress has been consistent. I don't WOD with them so there is no mental pressure. Some days are better than others but the key thing is I am progressing. The 'secret' is the same as anything else - consistent practice.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's all about getting a rhythm down. If you can get one DU mixed with singles, then you can string them together. It's not an ability thing, it's a mental thing. A properly fitted rope will help, but I learned to string together DUs on the crappy generic gym rope, so it's not everything.

It took me a few months to go from mixing in DUs to stringing them. Something just clicked. This was after a LOT of practice. When you are mixing in DU, don't just stop after getting one, try it again. And keep trying. Periodically, we do something called a "flight simulator" as a warm-up and it really helps people with their DUs. Google it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Slowing down my rope is what helped me.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can't get them at all.

Not even ONE stinking double under.

Everyone else who struggles gets the odd one here and there. And I know I shouldn't look at other people but 6 months in and I can't even get ONE stupid double under :angry:

All I get is whipped.
  • garzapat1005
    garzapat1005 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    try keeping your arms at your side, relax it is all in your wrist. I started doing single, single, double till I worked up to 30 double.
  • OkRebeccaJay
    OkRebeccaJay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can do one double under... then I freak out, close my eyes incase I manage to whip myself in the face(.....yes, this has happened. More than I'd like to admit!!!) and totally loose it from there!

The theory all makes sense, but my body just wont co-operate!! Im not giving up, but it seems pretty impossible at the moment!! :(
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    the rope has been frustrating the hell out of me lately. I have having getting more than 5-6 single unders going. Not exactly sure what's going on but I will keep with it.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    urgh that was me this morning. Completely lost the ability to skip
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Doing it again today and might not quite until I do 100 singles in a row. Could be a long afternoon.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have problems linking them, I do a single, double, single...I've been doing that for a year! :grumble:

Me too and the more I practice them, the more I worry I'm hard wiring this movement pattern. I've never linked one but I can do double/single relentlessly. I also found I am double jumping on box jumps, tuck jumps, and jumping pull ups.:frown:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Okay, just got them unbroken with no double hop. Got 10. In other news, peed a little for first time. Nice. Must be doing it right.

So what I did was practiced jumping pull ups this week. Then I practiced doing same hop for jumping rope. I just tried to do singles with a big hop quickly and they sort of instinctively turned into unbroken double unders. Bigger hop, wrists of singles is what worked for me. Still lots of work to do on this but now I understand the rhythm and body position.
  • itsagr8daytolift
    itsagr8daytolift Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yay! Good for you....I was doing double, single, double, single for a while until I made myself try harder. I jumped higher each time and I can finally string 6-7 together now. I have yet to figure out how to relax my arms-my shoulders burn after doing them for a while. And yes, the pee factor....so annoying. Our WOD this morning had double unders today-off I went to empty out my bladder. :grumble: But it helps me stay focused instead of worrying about a puddle.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing now on the DU?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Still a work in progress. And get them singly every time, can't string them togheter.

Going back to basics. Doing singles then a big jump/slower swing and can now connect them. Going to keep doing that until I can do it as easy as breathing. Then I'll add in DUs, then start shortening the single gap.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To be honest they aren't really a high priority for me, but I've played with them the two times we've done jump rope in class (and a bit after class) and I find I can get one, and sometimes a few singles after that, but then my timing never really recovers and I end up with the rope in front of my feet. Like I said, they aren't really much of a priority for me as I'm working on T2B and Oly lifts primarily, but I am following this discussion because I'm sure eventually I'll want to work on them!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CF for 2 years, and just recently 'figured it out' for me, anyway.

I was like some of you and did single/double for quite a while. Then, I made myself stop. I figured I'd never learn if I kept doing it that way.

During the Open, I had a great day and got a great score for me. So, I figured, I'd try it again...It could only get better, right?! No way...I couldn't do them at all. I did about 40 less than the 1st try. UGH

So, recently, one of my coaches was watching and said, keep your elbows in and arms out. When you get tired, your arms wander out and that shortens your rope. As soon as I started focusing on my elbows in, I'm getting them! I can do anywhere from 20-40. I think my max was about 45. I still have some good days and some not as good, but they are much more consistent than they have ever been. Recently, I started tightening my core a bit more and that seemed to help, too.

Hope that helps someone :)
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 years to get double unders, and everyone is right when they said you just need to keep practicing!

We are actually doing a double unders challenge at my box right now. Everyday for the month of August we have to multiply whatever the date is by 5 (so for example, today we have to do 90). It is frustrating, but I am seeing improvement! When we started, I could only string one or two and even that was hit and miss. Now- 18 days in, I am stringing about 5-7 and the other day I strung 12 so I am getting a lot better! I have also noticed it's taking me less tries to get started on the double unders, so rather than failing 7 or 8 times before getting one it's more like 1-2.