Ealing with flesh food crash cravings

Options
yogicarl
yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
When it comes in its like a tidal wave, crushing all logic and resolve.

Last night I was silly enough to watch TV until late (midnight), when I knew I had to get up at 4:45am the next day - first mistake.
I can't eat first thing in the morning as I need to do yoga in one hour and my stomach needs to be empty.
Then driving to my teacher's studio for a physically demanding Ashtanga class; 75 minutes of strength and stamina work.
After the session, I drive to work (30 minutes) to work and that's where it hits - a desperate craving for a quick high protein fix.

I stop off at the supermarket and what I really want is an egg, bacon, sausage and mayo sandwich, but I know that will have meant the needless death of a whole number of animals, but the craving is raging.

I settle for one sandwich pack - Free Range egg and cress and a second - Pole caught Tuna and cucumber. Both light in calories, both high in protein and I tell myself I have caused the least suffering.

At the sandwich bar, there are no Vegan options.

I guess - as always - the solution is to prepare a Humus, mixed beans and salad sandwich to eat after the drive back to work. Yeah - I guess that's it.

Replies

• baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You might need to prepare foods a few days in advance. If you have a food processor, the Engine 2 Hummus is very simple, and it lasts me a week.

Cherios and Soy milk is a quick breakfast. Something more hearty - 1 apple, 1 banana, .25 sup of walnuts.

Lunch for me is usually a salad with a no-oil dressing and a cucumber and tomato sammy with a hummus spread on dark pumpernickel.

A vegan protein shake with peanut butter, banana, and almond milk will satisfy a post-workout protein craving.

With a little planning and pre-work, your busy mornings can be a lot easier.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thank you - a bit more pre-planning, which I am finding is the vegan lifestyle pretty much.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    agree with planning.

Also, what helped me was to identify what specifically I was wanting to experience with the food I was craving: salty, fat, crunch, protein, etc

I once talked myself out of a philly cheesesteak this way! I ended up at home w/ Nate's meatball sub made out of jarred sauce and hot dog bun and it was SO SO SO good!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan 43 years. I still crave rare steak and rare roast beef. I was big on red meat before I turned vegan. And my favorite part was the fat around the edges of the meat. There is no vegan substitute that satisfies the craving. Nothing even comes close. So I just ignore the craving and accept it as something that will never be fulfilled.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    the term flesh food creeps me out!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've had more than my fair share of those cravings and there have been a few times I've given in and my stomach usually pays for it over the next couple of days. For me, that may very well be the best reminder!