Lost my toenails!

Options
Okay, so I had 3 black toenails and one toenail with blisters that may yet turn black... I went to the podiatrist and he removed the two worst offenders (they were so thick that they kept getting reinjured). This was Thursday. Friday I did some mild tae kwon do - just no contact kicks. Today I'm wearing closed toe shoes. But I haven't run yet...

I want to run a 10 K on Wednesday. It's just a little thing for work - would you do it?

And, I need new running shoes...mine were already 1/2 size up, should I go up another 1/2 size? I'm afraid my feet will just slide forward worse! To be honest, I may have initially injured the first two toenails just walking around with a pair of sneakers that were too tight - not during the long runs. The long runs probably didn't help, and I'm sure that they caused the re-injuries and injured the other two toes. WWYD?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would do the 10k if it doesn't hurt to run, and I would consider getting a different brand of shoes altogether that fits the shape of your foot better. They don't necessarily have to be longer at the front, but maybe shoes in your size that hug your foot more around the forefoot would stop you sliding forward?
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would try on a couple different pairs that are the right type for your gait, but then run on your forefoot around the store or on the treadmill and splay your toes as you do it. The big toe, during running, scoops at the upper of the shoe before coming down and the toes splay out before closing back in together. try to exaggerate that and see if you are hitting the sides and top of the box a lot or cannot spread your toes comfortably. If that happens, I would seek a shoe with a wide toebox that fits your gait. Soo...if you are running in zero drops, you might want Altras or if you are running in a shoe with middling cushioning you might want to check out saucony. etc.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    also, as a martial artist myself, I have to add that I know I develop callouses on the bottom and outsides of my big toe; this makes the toe even larger than most people's. Your typical running store employee is not going to realize this and correct your toe box size to include the fact that you spend all this time barefoot on a mat. Keep that in mind when buying shoes.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Do the race and get new shoes.... Altra, Merrell and the New Balance Minimus line all have great shoes with wide toe boxes, but still hold your foot....
  • dementedA
    Options
    I'll add that they weren't my big toes (although those have been black before). They were the ones that are next to the big toe. Those are just about as long, but the nails are shaped differently. I've worn Asics for years, but I'll get them to let me try some of the others. Saucony was a bit too wide - back when I wore them. I have to admit that usually when I buy shoes they ask what I've worn - bring me Asics and don't really offer anything else. Being a bit lazy myself, I try on a couple of pairs and pay up. Big mistake!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 toenails 2 days before a HM last year. I ran anyway. I could feel the tenderness a bit, but i forgot once I started running. It was fine. They hurt some after, but not bad. I think you could do the 10k.

Sizing up might not be the problem. I had a girl at the store really check my shoes the other day. In the end she determined that the shoes i was wearing didn't cause the problem. Ialso have a pair of adidas energy boost that turn up in the toe. More than likely I'm rubbing the top of the shoe, not the end, so that could be the problem too.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I had 3 black toenails and one toenail with blisters that may yet turn black... I went to the podiatrist and he removed the two worst offenders (they were so thick that they kept getting reinjured). This was Thursday. Friday I did some mild tae kwon do - just no contact kicks. Today I'm wearing closed toe shoes. But I haven't run yet...

I want to run a 10 K on Wednesday. It's just a little thing for work - would you do it?

And, I need new running shoes...mine were already 1/2 size up, should I go up another 1/2 size? I'm afraid my feet will just slide forward worse! To be honest, I may have initially injured the first two toenails just walking around with a pair of sneakers that were too tight - not during the long runs. The long runs probably didn't help, and I'm sure that they caused the re-injuries and injured the other two toes. WWYD?

I've heard that some have had great success with tongue pads to keep the foot from slipping forward and slamming your toes on downhills. Just use The Google to find out more on tongue pads. ;)
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My second toe toenails might as well be pulled. As soon as they grow back I lose them again. My podiatrist gave me little gel toe sleeves to put over my toes. I refer to them as my toe condoms. They reduce the tenderness when you first lose the toenail. I'm not that great about wearing them every run. Mine are mostly due to the shape of my toe, almost hammer like. I am the right size of shoe in other words and losing mine is simply due to the shape of the toe.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My second toes are a little longer than my big toes, so I've been there. I have one getting ready to come off right now. When they've fallen or are falling off, they don't seem to bother me when I run too much. The biggest thing I've found (besides sizing up) is to keep the nail trimmed as short as absolutely possible. I let the trimming slide, and that's why the current one is falling off now.

ETA: I've had the best luck in New Balance as far as wide toe boxes. Saucony seemed good, too, although they didn't work for me for other reasons. Currently running in Brooks, which seem okay, and New Balance.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    Toenails? What are those?
  • dementedA
    Options
    Toenails? What are those?

Love this!

Everyone seems right on. Hammer shaped toes and nails that absolutely must be kept short or I'll pay for it! I'll look up tongue pads (or whatever that was) and I'll try some other shoes. It's been a long time... Are the toe condoms like the ones that they use to cushion ingrown toenails? If so, my partner has some and I know what you mean. That might not be a bad idea. Someone also recommended moleskin and just wrapping my toe so that it grips and doesn't jam forward. I'll need to experiment.

And yes, I'll run on Wednesday. I'm not as nervous about it now :)
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, I would assume they're the same things though. Surprisingly you don't really notice them when you have them on. I was afraid they'd cause me to blister on the big toe and third toe from friction and they never have. Just poking around on the internet I saw dr. scholls carries toe wraps that are similar but I didn't see anywhere that had the full sleeve. I'm sure it's out there, I didn't spend extensive time searching for it though.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This has been floating around Pinterest:

832b1eebc383b573b031d8dcf5b0f56f.jpg

I haven't used the black toenail one, but I did adjust my laces for heel slipping and it helped a LOT. Might be something to try.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bump