Races In New England

Options
soxobsessed
soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
So, this years running resolution was to run at least 1 race a month. Just signed up for my November race and found one for December YAY. 2015 running resolution will be a marathon and trying races in new states. I would like to know if you guys know of any cool races (5k, 10k, half) in ME, CT, VT and NH. TIA

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a Boston runner, but love loco races in NH. One of my favorites being Half in the Hamptons in February.

www.locoraces.com
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the CHaD Hero Half in Hanover NH in October
    http://chad.donordrive.com/

Why'd you leave out RI and MA?

I used to live in CT and ran some races put on by these two companies:
    > http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/ (I did the Blumshapiro 5k in 2012 and 2013, they changed the date for 2014 and I had the Avon Walk that weekend.
    > http://www.jbsports.com/?page_id=25 (did the Branford Road Race and Christopher Martin's 5k in 2012. Had to bail on most of my 2013 races)
    ^My friend did the Manchester Road Race (it's like 4.3 mi and around Thanksgiving - she said people show up in costumes and half drunk or hungover. It's fun she said)

In NH, I did their turkey trot in Manch NH in 2013: http://www.millenniumrunning.com/ <They host a bunch of races around NH

I'm in Maine now.
    I've done 2 races up here so far, both put on by the same company. Fiveksports (http://www.fiveksport.com/) I'm not overly impressed with their organizational skills or anything. But they seem to be the ones hosting a lot of the races in the Portland area =/

As for VT - I went to school there but I wasn't into running while there. It's shame, so many hills.
    I googled Vermont Running and got this: http://www.runvermont.org/page.php?pid=1&pname=home
    Oh! I know (at least two years ago) there was a 5k in Burlington VT that involved running 5k while eating a pint of Ben & Jerrys

In MA, in Newburyport, there's a half that's all women and 1 dude, the name is very similar to that actually.

I don't know if you drink or if it'll run in 2015 but there's this: http://craftbrewraces.com/seacoast/
  • soxobsessed
    Options
    Sorry should have mentioned, I live in MA so I have done almost all my races to this point in MA, as for RI, I do the PawSox 5k every August, so I already have my RI race (though I may add more)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Sorry should have mentioned, I live in MA so I have done almost all my races to this point in MA, as for RI, I do the PawSox 5k every August, so I already have my RI race (though I may add more)

RI kinda sucks anyway so it's ok to leave it off the list =]
  • soxobsessed
    Options

HEY NOW I grew up in RI lol be nice
  • soxobsessed
    Options
    and thank you for the ideas so far, finding some cool races to try out next year
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

HEY NOW I grew up in RI lol be nice

XD
    I've been to RI 2-3 times. Meh lol

and thank you for the ideas so far, finding some cool races to try out next year

What races?

Here are the races I've done since I start running:
    2012:
    Blumshapiro 5k (Cromwell CT)
    Branford Road Race (5mi) (Branford CT)
    Mari's Miles for Smiles (10k) (Cheshire CT)
    Army Ten Miler (Washington DC)
    Hebron Airline Ghost Trail Half (Hebron CT) [it's mostly a trail but it's packed dirt/gravel so not real trail running]
    Christopher Martin's 5k (New Haevn CT)

2013:
    Matt's Mission 5k (didn't go - injury but it's by JBsports in CT)
    Blumshapiro 5k (still Cromwell) [there's a downhill at the beginning and an uphill at about half way]
    Branford Road Race (got sick)
    New Haven Road Race (20k) (didn't go - out due to knee)
    Woodbridge Road Race (5k) (Woodbridge CT) [pretty course, no chip timing]
    Fisher Cats Thanksgiving 5k (Manchester NH) [relatively flat - you end at 3rd base in the baseball stadium]

2014:
    Guilford Rotary 5k (Guilford CT) [decent course - doesn't start til like 11am New Years Day]
    Savin Rock 5k (West Haven CT) [there's a half marathon associated with this - 5k course was kinda lame. MFP user KeithAngilly did the half]
    Greenway 5k (Derby CT) [put on by the Knights of Columbus, course was nice, no chip timing tho]
    Strides for Spectrum 5k (Milford CT) [really nice downhill at the start, it was raining that day]
    Salmon River Run (5mi) [I forget where it is, I didn't go]
    Chesire 10k (I forget the real name, I didn't go)
    Branford Road Race (didn't go)
    Lobster Roll 5k (Scarborough ME) [no chip timing, not super organized especially at the start time, roads weren't closed and it was mid July in a tourist town on the shoreline]
    Pound the Pavement 5k (South Portland ME) [no chip timing, again not super organized at the start line, roads weren't closed but there were more signs marking the course, people at the corners, and it was mostly residential]

I'm doing a Glow Run up here soon (bah) plus the CHaD Half.
    I plan on doing the Manch NH turkey trot again.
    The NH series I linked has a race in my hometown I wanna do in 2015, the run doesn't fall right in my half training this year.

Here's another link: http://www.nehalfmarathontour.com/
    My coworker wanted to do the one in Jaffery by Monadnock.
    My cousin's husband did a half marathon in NH in February. It's almost all flat if you're interested.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Maine

Midwinter classic 10 miler
    Beach to Bacon
    Maine Marathon half or full

bunch of really nice 10ks
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Maine

Midwinter classic 10 miler
    Beach to Bacon
    Maine Marathon half or full

bunch of really nice 10ks

Think you meant Beach to Beacon lol

Ooo theres the Lobster Festival 5k and 10k. Up in Rockland!
    The races are Sunday and im fairly certain theres no fee to enter the festival on sunday!
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't think anyone would mind if it was bacon
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Probably not.
    My PM probably wouldve enjoyed it more...
  • soxobsessed
    Options

How fast could I run for Bacon....
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

hmm..as a RI native, I might have to defriend you after that remark! jk...sort of. :)

My favorite 5k is actually in my hometown of Warwick, in the really awesome and super great state of RI. It's the Gaspee Days 5k. They run it right before a parade. It's interesting, because the assembled masses aren't really running people, so it's a different vibe, in terms of crowd support. Very supportive but also a sort of "omg, that looks really hard!" kind of thing. Haha! I have also run the Providence Marathon, which was really well done and even came with free pics. It's small, which is kind of nice.

I have also run the Eastern States 20 miler, which is not the most organized run in the world, but it is a great route. My wife and I stayed in Portsmouth, which is a really nice little area.

Anything run by the Hartford Marathon folks (CT) is a safe bet, except for the girlie shirts they always seem to come up with.

Also, there is a half marathon series run by the Shoreline Sharks group here in CT that I would recommend.

Good luck!
  • soxobsessed
    Options
    hmm..as a RI native, I might have to defriend you after that remark! jk...sort of. :)

My favorite 5k is actually in my hometown of Warwick, in the really awesome and super great state of RI. It's the Gaspee Days 5k. They run it right before a parade. It's interesting, because the assembled masses aren't really running people, so it's a different vibe, in terms of crowd support. Very supportive but also a sort of "omg, that looks really hard!" kind of thing. Haha! I have also run the Providence Marathon, which was really well done and even came with free pics. It's small, which is kind of nice.

I have also run the Eastern States 20 miler, which is not the most organized run in the world, but it is a great route. My wife and I stayed in Portsmouth, which is a really nice little area.

Anything run by the Hartford Marathon folks (CT) is a safe bet, except for the girlie shirts they always seem to come up with.

Also, there is a half marathon series run by the Shoreline Sharks group here in CT that I would recommend.

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I did a race like that, the South Boston Boys and Girls Club St Patrick's 5k, along the parade route and nothing like seeing people cheer you on at 10 am with beers in hand
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a Boston runner, but love loco races in NH. One of my favorites being Half in the Hamptons in February.

www.locoraces.com

This is a great Feb. Half!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A couple more fun races, Holyoke St. Patricks Day road race 10K is a giant party both on the course, with tons of crowd support, and at the finish, with about 5 blocks of partys. Lots of fun and a pretty challenging course.
    The Manchester Road Race, in Manchester Ct. Run on Thanksgiving morning, Lots of runners, great crowds, and the race has tons of history. They have been running it for over 75 years. I believe it is 4.7 miles long.