Protein bar recommendations?

Options
tabithascatena
tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
Hi Everyone! What are you favorite protein bars? I'm traveling for work this week and want to be sure I set myself up for success in having healthy snacks/meals, including protein bars. I am 3 months post-op. In looking at the nutrition labels it was shocking to see so many with high amount so sugar and sugar alcohol. What are you suggestions? Thank you!!

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are delicious and recommended by my nutritionist. Chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite. About 20 grams of protein for 200 calories. I also love Powercrunch bars. They are like wafer cookies, but they have less protein and fiber than Quest.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Agree. Quest bars for this house.

I like the cookie bars - Chocolate Chip and Cookies and Cream, I also like the White Chocolate Raspberry and the Vanilla Almond Crunch. I don't tend to like the serious "Chocolate" bars, they are too hard, unless you have a microwave handy.

GNC is about the only place I know you can pick these up on site.

But for the protein and fiber levels vs. the calorie content I think these are some of the best choices.
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) the quest bars. You can also get them at Vitamin Shoppe stores. I like most flavors, 15 sec. In the microwave, yum! I have also found a bar called ANSI gourmet (also at Vitamin Shoppe) that comes in flavors like chocolate chip cheesecake, strawberry, peanut butter chocolate chip. These are quite similar to quest in nutrition values and are very light in texture. I don't eat them everyday but it is nice to have them when traveling or when I need something quick.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars. The consistency is a little different, so I wouldn't go buy boxes until you try the individual bars first, but with 20 grams of protein in each and a variety of calorie levels, plus they are just better nutritionally than most, they are my first choice. I prefer the ones that run 160-170 calories per bar (cinnamon roll, banana nut bread, cookies and cream, double chocolate chunk are my favorites).
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    QUEST!

My favorites are the coconut cashew and cinnamon roll -- both 170 calories! I get mine on their website usually.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Premier protein 30g bars 3 g sugar multipack at SAMs club and Pure Protein 30g shakes also at SAMs cub. Tasty and 1/3 the cost of quest. Quest tastes too much like cookie dough for me. Luna bars are loaded with sugar so don't get them.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    QUEST for me! If you are avoiding sugar alcohols, please check each flavor at www.questnutrition.com because sugar alcohols and the nutrition information can vary a lot from flavor to flavor. Also, you'll see that they are high in carbs, but it's mostly fiber.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I will also jump on the Quest bandwagon especially as someone who doesn't like everything covered in chocolate or peanut butter, they have a nice selection outside of those flavors with a good carb/protein/calorie ratio. At 7 months out I find they work well as a large snack/desert size, maybe not quite a meal but your mileage will very. If you want some right now, GNC usually has the best deal (buy 3 get 1), but I also grab mine on eBay.

Other travel able quick meal/snack suggestions that have worked for me (I've traveled a LOT this summer):
    Beef Jerky, lots and lots and lots (Perky Jerky, Krave, and Savage Jerky all are lower in sodium)
    Turkey pepperoni
    Tuna packets or the pre-seasoned canned stuff (w or without crackers)
    Dry crunchy edamame (to the point where I am now sick of it since I had it on Amazon auto-ship)
    Individual hummus packets/cup (most can survive without refrigeration for a while)
    Nuts

Syntrax Nectar (available at Vitamin Shoppe) also makes individual packets for shakes. There's are nice because they come in juice like flavors/consistencies that you can mix into your water just like Special K, but with better protein/carb/calorie ratios.
  • shygirl2222
    Options
    Quest bars............white chocolate raspberry, cookies & cream, double chocolate chunk, & chocolate brownie.
  • reisu
    reisu Posts: 16
    Options
    I have to be the only person in the world that really hates Quest bars. Bleh.

I prefer the Trader Joes Power Crunch protein bars. I don't have them that often, they are a snack for me, but the few times I had Quest it was just....nasty. They have (for me at least) an unbearable aftertaste. Then again, my sense of taste has gone through the roof since I was sleeved in January. I might just be the extreme;)
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    quest bars for me. I love them. Truly love them.
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are delicious and recommended by my nutritionist. Chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite. About 20 grams of protein for 200 calories. I also love Powercrunch bars. They are like wafer cookies, but they have less protein and fiber than Quest.

What she said. EXACTLY what she said. Plus the Power Crunch bars have about have the carbs or less if you need to keep a certain amount per day. :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Quest if I'm going for the best bang for the protein grams, but I also like PowerCrunch, which has a bit more sugar carbs and about 13g of protein but tastes like an actual wafer cookie.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars from Target. 20g protein/180 to 200 cal. Pretty cheap too, can usually get the big pack for about $1 a bar and they are pretty dense. Very full after eating one.
  • msmarisa21
    msmarisa21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like Premier Protein bars and Bariatric Advantage bars. I get the Premier Protein at Costco and order Bariatric Advantage online. I travel out of state regularly for work, so these are a normal part of my daily nutrition.
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein bars and shakes are my favorite!
  • tabithascatena
    tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who posted! This is exactly what I needed.
  • tcdouglas
    tcdouglas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ordered the celebrate sample pack for $3 and it came with a sample of I think every WLS supplement they make as well as a sample of their chocolate protein shake and two of their protein bars. I have not tried the protein bars yet as I am still on soft foods but it's an inexpensive way to them.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Quest bars - I went to GNC to pick some up on saturday. They were buy 2 get 1 free, on top of my GNC gold card discount. Good deal.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ditto this