Current Cosplay Projects!

Options
BombshellPhoenix
BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
Here, we can update current projects and how they're progressing. I'm a newbie cosplayer myself. I had made a last stitch attempt in March as She Hulk. Had everything. Failed miserably at body paint and ended up scrapping it. It sounded so easy. I was humbled to realize how difficult this really is. I'm so in love with the idea of embodying a character from a favorite show or video game, movie, comic... I'm determined to get into this one way or another!

I'm aiming to do Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail in March for my states comic con. This gives me plenty of time to mess up and perfect it beforehand (my she Hulk was maybe 3 weeks shy when I hatched the idea). To practice making a sword, I decided to do Finn from Adventure Time's golden sword of battle scaled for my 3 year old. Haha. Here's what I've got so far

25umc1l.png

ji2atl.jpg

I'm using insulation foam board. For my Erza sword, it'll be three parts since the scale is so much bigger. I plan on putting a wooden dowel in the center for stability. I've done three layers now of gesso for the sword and I'm going to sand it down and put Elmers glue on it to seal before I use resin on it. Then, I'll lightly sand it to put acrylic paint on it. Seal it with wood varnish...I think I remember that right. I've been researching until my eyeballs fall out lol

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's going to look awesome!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    -stalks-

Not really working on anything right now. I'm being lazy. I have a few ideas but I don't have the skills at sewing yet. I need to start practicing sewing more but I just haven't gotten the motivation. I think it's the heat. I've never experienced more than one or two days of 100+ weather and it's been 95-108 for the last few weeks. I'm melting.

I would like to accomplish Ayame from Inuyasha by Fanime next year (March)

2-5794.jpg

I was hoping to get Marie from Soul Eater done by August for two cons but I haven't even started yet so I doubt it. Plus it looks too warm for the how hot it will be here in August. Maybe someday though.

marie03.jpg
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    It's going to look awesome!

Thank you! I really hope so, as my test run I'm hoping it'll be a decent gauge.
    Also, to my dismay my 3 year old no longer wants this sword and at the mention of Halloween declared Thor. At the mention of little brother being Loki. Demanded he be Loki.. lol.

I'll be happy when it's complete and I can say I completed my first prop ever! :D
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    -stalks-

Not really working on anything right now. I'm being lazy. I have a few ideas but I don't have the skills at sewing yet. I need to start practicing sewing more but I just haven't gotten the motivation. I think it's the heat. I've never experienced more than one or two days of 100+ weather and it's been 95-108 for the last few weeks. I'm melting.

I would like to accomplish Ayame from Inuyasha by Fanime next year (March)

2-5794.jpg

I was hoping to get Marie from Soul Eater done by August for two cons but I haven't even started yet so I doubt it. Plus it looks too warm for the how hot it will be here in August. Maybe someday though.

marie03.jpg

I'm just totally pumped about everything lol. I'm the same about the sewing. Erza is going to require me to sew for her pleated dress and if I complete my costume in time with her, husband mentioned being Natsu...All the sowing! Eeep!

Also, that sucks about weather! That sounds miserable. I totally feel you. When it's blistering out, I just want to nap indoors with the AC blasting. Also, since all my cosplay stuff is in the garage and most of the stuff I'm currently working on requires me to be out there.... I'm resisting xD. I'm somewhat used to it, only because I'm forced to be out there to lift but omg.

I'm kind of freaking out. I want to make her earrings too. The thought of being able to do costuming makes me geek out thinking things like "I could totally make zelda earrings or necklaces" ALL THE THINGS!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    So close to finishing Finn's sword! ♡ I'm decently happy with the events. Resin. .. it got all gummy and bubbled. . Peeled some layers of gesso off. .. I'm still not sure I did it right. But hell, if this turns out, I'll be happy!

2ngd5c4.jpg

acrylic applies so much easier than tempura. .. The blade looks better in pic than up close because of the metallic shimmer. May have to coat with yellow acrylics.
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your sword is amazing! XD

Not to sure who I am cosplaying yet. I have a local con coming up on November 1st and 2nd. Due to lack of resources at the moment, I was thinking of doing Ada Wong from Resident Evil 6, plus I just really love her character. :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Thank you Reimon!

I'm honestly not super happy with it but given the pitfalls, it's a forgiving piece

ixxz6x.jpg

I'll probably wrap the handle with gray craft foam maybe but it's finished!

I started cutting out Erza's sword. I've ruined my second chest piece lol. But slow progress is still progress! xD
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Okay, no laughing (too hard). I've done two attempts at an outline for my chest piece. The tissue paper one, while hilarious, drawn on foam was too small when transferred. I ripped the seran wrap one getting it off... my husband suggested I buy the roll of foam, cut out the head hole in the center of it and wrap it around me to fit it before cutting. I'm about to...lol

15gs6rm.jpg
    339rn88.jpg

...nailed it! Jk lol
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    :happy: Couldn't be happier today I managed to find my mojo for cosplay again after about two months of throw it all to hell
    this weekend will see some progress on my Warhammer 30k costume - watch this space
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    :happy: Couldn't be happier today I managed to find my mojo for cosplay again after about two months of throw it all to hell
    this weekend will see some progress on my Warhammer 30k costume - watch this space

Whoot!

I, myself, have been dragging my feet. Partially from lack of knowledge on wth to do and not wanting to mess it up. Finally started working on my chest piece again last night xD
  • mruntidy
    Options

Whoot!

I, myself, have been dragging my feet. Partially from lack of knowledge on wth to do and not wanting to mess it up. Finally started working on my chest piece again last night xD

hur hur hur, oh wait, you mean the costume?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Whoot!

hur hur hur, oh wait, you mean the costume?

Werkin that chest piece.

I see what you did thar! ...I think! xD
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    It's okay to laugh. .. this was fully unintentional....

2rp4qgx.jpg

using a heat gun I thought "the bottom of this children's laptop is perfect for the blocky chest part" .... Did not realize there were nobs on the bottom. ... Bahaha. Night made
  • mruntidy
    Options
    BOOM!

Progress

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Holy! Looking good :D

Is it just painted cardstock?
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Holy! Looking good :D

Is it just painted cardstock?

Thanks, for the most part this is LD45 Plastazote foam that's just been put through the process but it's getting to completion now which I am really looking forwards to. I can't wait to try it all on, hopefully it won't be too hard to walk in.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Holy wow! It looks incredible!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Haha well it isn't the best but I think I am pleased with it so far. I want to add little angel wings to a few places to give it some pop but I kinda have in the back of my head that the picture doesn't have them. Then I think well it is my costume after all so I am undecided as yet.

First things first are get it completed and then go from there but I really can't wait to get to the stage of adding the purity seals and getting it tried on and I think it will be slow steady walking in this costume so it doesn't wear too much. I've learned from the last one that i need to attach the carapace armour to the armour around the waist so that it doesnt slowly shimmy back during the day as it is a royal pain to shuffle back forwards especially with the weight of the cape on it.

That'll be the next big part, attaching the cape but also deciding if I want to go all imperial on it and have an eagle on the back or just have a defined gold trim to it instead.
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Finally got started with my prop for my Vampire Knight Yuki Kuran cosplay! :happy:

APV0203_zps05f046ec.jpg

DSC01059_zps35203105.jpg
    Cut and assembled w/ two layers of gesso. Next is the handle, detailing, and paint.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    It looks great Reimon! Can't wait to see the finished piece!