30-30-30 Rule

Options
At my 6 month pre-op check in last week when I was finally approved for surgery, the clinicians suggested that I should start implementing the 30-30-30 rule with fluid intake before and after meals.
I decided to have a cup of coffee first so I could pry my eyelids open. lol. Weening off of caffeine which I will begin on September 1 will be harder for me but it gives me comfort to know that at some point I can hopefully start having some caffeine again.

So today, I had to make a real conscience effort to watch the clock and not have any fluids for the 1/2 hour before I prepared my breakfast. I was also trying to focus on chewing each mouthful of egg, turkey bacon and whole grain bread a lot. It was really strange not having my stainless steel coffee cup and water bottle on the table but it was a good cue to keep reminding me of the next stage which I was starting today. If my cup was there I think I could have easily forgotten and accidentally taken a few sips.
I really looked forward to having an orange at the end of my meal as I knew it was gonna be juicy.
I now understand the importance of eating foods that have some moisture to them, especially the meat that can be very dry depending on how it is prepared. I will be asking you, my VSG family, for a lot of ideas along the way for ideas as this is all very new to me. Love you guys. :heart:

Replies

• Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think starting to implement the changes necessary to lose weight after the surgery and be successful is best for your mind and your body. The very hardest thing for me was to go without drinking at meals/snacks - a lifelong habit. I wish I would have had 6 months pre-surgery to get accustomed to these changes, but I did at least have a few weeks.

The second hardest I thought would be switching to 'decaf' coffee as I drink it black. After the first few weeks I really did become accustomed to it. Once in a very great while I have regular, but not often. I still struggle a little with having water at meals when I have something spicy or when it's extremely hot/humid. I do love breakfast as I always have milk in some form.

You are starting off with an excellent regime by implementing the processes necessary and essential to your success post-surgery (and hard to get into the habit/routine of). It will also give you the benefit of concentrating more on the various steps you have to take post-surgery in your eating/exercise habits.

I commend you for already losing 23 lbs. and for getting a jump start on your journey to a successful outcome.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The psychologist who moderates the support group I attend says that when people ask her when they should start making changes, she tells them, "Yesterday". Making changes now will make it so much easier for you to practice those new habits after surgery. You are doing great!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the other posters, the sooner you start implementing the new life style changes the better of a success rate you will have. Keep up all the great work you are doing. I can see all the changes you are doing/did/making at it shows that you are serious about this. :flowerforyou:
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I fail miserably at this rule. I drink with some meals, before after or during. I am bad at chewing and eat to quickly. But I am improving from early days.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I admit that's one rule I have a really hard time with- it's hard for me to eat post surg with out drinking. It's good you're making the habit now.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Also- once I have up coffee for the liquid diet- I never went back. I kind of liked that I was "free" from that feeling of needing it every morning before I could function. Just something to keep in mind.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I don't understand the not drinking for 30 minutes prior to meals. Liquids do not stay in your stomach very long (and they move faster through a sleeve than a normal stomach). At most, I'll stop drinking 5-10 minutes prior to eating. I've tried waiting and not waiting and it doesn't affect my capacity for food.

That being said, I NEVER drink with meals. I was really worried this would be a temptation, but I don't even have the desire or impulse to drink with a meal now. And after eating I have to wait at least 45 minutes to an hour (sometimes longer) before I can drink again - I just feel so full after eating that I can even imagine putting anything else in my stomach until then.

Don't stress about this too much. What feels totally unnatural before surgery will likely become second nature after surgery - as long as you don't start to push the envelope and "test" your sleeve.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    yup, my RD & surgeon do not want us to stop drinking before meals, only during and after. I am not saying to ignore the instructions you received though! Definitely follow the plan they give you. It was weird for me at first, but now I am completely used to not drinking with a meal or for 30 minutes after. In fact I experimented a couple of times with drinking with meals recently (I'm over a year out, don't do this at home kids) and found it strange and kind of unpleasant. I don't have any plans to try it again.