MS and weight loss

Options
Malimaz
Malimaz Posts: 24 Member
Hello fellow fitness pals, I would like to start a support blog and friend group of fellow pals living with MS and the battle of weightloss. I will begin with my intro and welcome others and friend requests to build support group. My name is Malika I am 42 years old and have had MS for 17 years but just recently reconfirmed and began taking medicine. In addition I have been diagnosed with hashimotos and require thyroid replacement medicine. As if those were not enough I broke my back in 2008 and went through 2 major 12 hour surgeries and 2 years recovery having to relearn walking, balance, and muscle training. All of this combined has lead to my weight increasing and my ability to excersize well to diminish.

With the wonderful support of my husband we have begun a better living and lifestyle change of healthy eating and small amounts of excersize to increase slowly as I build up stregnth. I am thankful that I am still able to function physically however after physical efforts I face the second battle which is dealing with MS pain and attacks backed by the renown depression the comes with it. I figure the more support we have the stronger we can get through this.

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hi Malika, I'm Christina. So sorry to hear about your health problems but I'm also excited because I'm Egyptian :) but living in the US. I started this MS group after I was diagnosed and it's grown so much the last two years. It's really great for support. I will add you as a friend! Good luck with this journey and process!
  • Malimaz
    Malimaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about very small world! Thats great to hear, hoping soon to transition back to the states. MS is very difficult on top of being mixed with other illnesses but we stay strong keep head up and power on. Thanks for the add I accepted, looking forward to our mutual supports but seems you have done well.
  • AsterBellis
    AsterBellis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Malika! My name is Daisy. I am 46 and have secondary progressive ms.
    I am so glad you told your story. I just joined MFP today. I put in a modest goal of 20 minutes of exercise 5x a week.

I don't know what the heck I will be doing for 20 minutes! I am struggling with a back problem much less serious than yours. So you can be my super hero, okay?
  • whiterosebud
    whiterosebud Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Milika, this is Rosemary. I recently joined MFP at my sister's promting, since I'd been doing my weight loss on my own. She told me of the MS group as well. I have MS as well. I am currently walking 30 minutes per day on a Treadmill at the slow pace. I hope that some day the pain in my legs will decrease, but only someone with this disease has any idea if that will happen.