Hair loss

Options
kaeli_shay
kaeli_shay Posts: 11 Member
I am getting ready for surgery next month, and I am really freaking out about hair loss. My hair is super thin already I am so scared of losing it! Does this happen a lot? Any tips?

Thank you!

Replies

• murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of losing my hair too. From what I've read its just something that might happen in the first few month but it will grow back. You can try taking Biotin supplements but I've heard contradicting info on it helping people. Nioxin Shampoo is also good for thinning hair.

Best of luck! Try not to let it stress you out!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready for surgery next month, and I am really freaking out about hair loss. My hair is super thin already I am so scared of losing it! Does this happen a lot? Any tips?

Thank you!
    Just cut it short early on to keep from stressing it more than you have to with grooming. Mine just quit falling out and all the new growth is super healthy and strong. Started falling out at 4 months and quit at 8 months
  • kaeli_shay
    Options
    My hairs the longest it's ever been right now, I don't want to cut it. Did you lose a lot? Like is it super noticeable? Will I need a wig? Sorry or all the questions, just really freaking out.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My hairs the longest it's ever been right now, I don't want to cut it. Did you lose a lot? Like is it super noticeable? Will I need a wig? Sorry or all the questions, just really freaking out.
    I would have lost less hair if I had cut it. The longer it is the more noticeable the hair loss as the weight of the hair pulls it down and you can see your scalp. Shorter hair fluffs up and fills in. I went from hair that need an extra large band for a ponytail to the point where I would only need a dental band. So I lost 3/4 BUT the new growth was coming in as I lost it because I hit my protein and vitamin goals so I ended up with a combination of frizz and lank 3 wks ago and I had to admit that it had just looked awful for 2 months and I got a pixie style haircut. Immediately I could no longer see my scalp. Good luck
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Take a biotin supplement. Some swear by it, I don't know, I take one still and didn't lose much if any hair, (I have a lot per square inch to begin with). I DID notice that my nails have been amazing, so there's something going on there. Be compliant with your protein and fluid requirements and take your vitamins. If it's long, consider some layers to help with the weight and perhaps a style that takes less heat styling. I let mine go kind of curly for the first 6 months and tried to lay off the color. Stay compliant in your diet, (you'll have a better experience all the way around) and be as kind to yourself and your hair as possible.
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started losing mine in after 3mths. Its not been 3 more months and still losing, however I do think it is lightening up some. So I am hoping with will stop completely in the next month or so. I am like you and have real thin hair anyways and can see a difference (not bad) in my part. I do not blow dry it, and staying away from color as much as possible until this part is over with. I also take the biotin and have since before I even had my surgery 2/26/14.
    Good Luck.
  • spooky228
    Options
    I started losing my hair around the 3rd month also. I had short hair to start with. Started taking Biotin, used 5000 units a day
    for the first few months. Also, I had my hair cut into layers, it made it appear fuller and the cutting stimulates the hair shaft some how.
    My hair started to grow back around 6th month. I am almost a year out and have 15 more pounds to go to my goal. Good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I started losing my hair about 3 months out, but at that point I was not eating anywhere near what I should have been protein wise. The nutritionist assured me it was temporary and to up my protein and take either Biotin or Hair, Skin and Nails. I did the biotin and it really helped slow down the loss. I'm 3 years out now and most of it has grown back. My cousin who had bypass about 10 years ago lost a lot and her doctor said it was a lack of protein (she wasn't getting near what they told her to), so she was told to drink protein shots.
  • kaeli_shay
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have fine, thin hair and I barely lost any at all. I did (and still do) take a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin and I always make sure to get enough protein, so that might have helped.
  • DawnBridgette
    Options
    Make sure you keep your protein up to where it should be. Thats going to help. You can take a hair and nail pill..It can help too..