Broadhead Preferences?

Options
missigus
missigus Posts: 207 Member
Ok, I have a few questions for you all that are experienced deer or other large game hunters with bow. I have hunted turkey with bow for a while now, but just got up the nerve to try for deer that way this year. I have used both mechanical and fixed heads on turkey and have had no problem dropping them. I just made the switch over to Montec's G5's last year, (fixed heads) Because they can be used on both turkey and deer. The mechanicals (spitfires) I had were too small supposedly for deer. I tried a different mechanical, but it opened mid flight, where as my Montec's fly like a field point. My husband is using Rage mechanicals because he has a friend that swears they bleed out more leaving a better trail. I hate to spend the money on two different heads if one will do both jobs.

My question: Have any of you had problems with blood trails using a fixed head? Have you seen a difference between the two types one causing more bleed out or it that a bunch of bull? I have seen the hole the Montects leave in the turkey and think it would be plenty, but I have also seen a couple of deer lost now after the blood trail shut off for other people. Like last night, We were helping another guy who we leases our land with us look for his buck. Never found him because the blood trail just shut off. (not sure what type head he was using). That is my fear, hitting it and not finding it. What a waste! That's the one reason I haven't hunted deer with bow. Now I am second guessing my broad head choice. So, what are your experiences and preferences, and why? Thanks!

Replies

• hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like your husbands friend swear by the Rage. I have never seen another broadhead leave a blood trail like the Rage. I used to use the spitfire and lost 2 deer using them (They didn't open.) I have also killed deer with fixed blades. Ultimately it comes down to shot placement. I have friends who use both fixed and mechanical. Hope this helps.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I love the Rage and most of the guys I hunt with use some type of mechanical. My bow technician shoots competitively and he insists I use the mechanical because of a more consistent flight.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Shot placement seems to be KEY. #1 in importance.
    It REALLY helps to have an exit wound near the bottom of the body. Or at least a good pass through.

My husband has shot Rage and Muzzy. We have found that is bone is hit, the Muzzy fixed blade was better. But for further distance (over 30 yrds) he finds the Rage more accurate. I shoot a 90 grain 4 blade Muzzy (fixed blade).

BUT I know to limit my shots to 30 yrds or less (my comfort range) and no matter WHAT weapon I am using I ALWAYS try to make a humane quick kill shot.

The Lord blessed me with that perfect quartering away shot for the doe I took this year. I was able to get lungs and part of the heart, a pass through. Nice blood trail that only went for about 50-75 yards... and there she lay.

Good Luck and happy hunting!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Well of course shot placement is #1. it doesn't matter what you're shooting if you hit the thing in the *kitten* end! :smile:

I think the bottom line is that you'll probably shoot better with whatever you're most comfortable with.

the majority of my shooting windows are up to 30 yards with one being over 40 but I wouldn't take anything over 40ish.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for your feed back. I refuse to take a shot I am not comfortable with as well, Pretty much at 30 yards and under, since I am not capable of pulling over 50 lbs I notice my arrows drop too quickly after 30 to 35 yards and I just don't feel I'm as accurate, especially if my adrenaline were flowing! I am all about humane endings as well. Sounds like Rage is a favorite among many. Especially for those longer range shots. I guess I will try closer range with my fixed Montec's and if it turns out to be a bad experience still, I will have to spend the $$$ and go to the Rage heads for Deer season. Wishing you all luck out there!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I picked up 3 Rage heads for $40 and it came with a "field tip" at D!ck's Sporting Goods. Not too bad.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    You can also buy replaceable blades for the rage.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I prefer fixed blades. Less chance of failure, IMO.

Currently loving my Slick Trick 'Grizz Trick 2s'. 100 grains
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I Like cut on contact fixed blade Broad heads, but the biggest thing with any broad head is PRACTICE with it. They might shoot like your field tips but most will not and I don't care what anyone says no broadhead will fly right on every set up so just because it works foir someone else it does not mean it will work for you.
  • tedavis60
    tedavis60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In states that allow mechanicals-- Montec G5 T3. They leave wicked blood trails. In states that don't allow mechanicals-- Montec G5 or standard Muzzy. Taken deer and elk with both.
  • BowHunter1967
    BowHunter1967 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello y'all! I'm partial to fixed blades, just cause I've never had a problem with them.
    I may try Rage at some point just to test em out, I've heard good things from my buddy.

But my current BH of choice is the Wac'em Triton 100 grain.
    I've tuned my set-up to have these heads hit right with FP's out to 40yds, and on good days, 50; though nearly all of my game shots are a lot closer. These heads are tough! I've taken whitetails, turkeys, and boar with this head. They stay intact and can often be re-used. Of course, shot placement is key and in any set-up, and practice.

Does anyone else spin their heads/set-up arrows to find the trues ones for hunting? I'm amazed at how there are always one or two that are not spinning as good as others, and it makes a difference at distance. I use a spine-tester with a needle gauge. Might be overkill, but I don't like to take any chances lol.
  • BowHunter1967
    BowHunter1967 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OP: Also meant to mention that the last several whitetails I've taken with these heads, I watched them GO DOWN with-in sight.
    That is an awesome feeling knowing that there will not need to be a blood trail, even though there is one. You just walk 30-50 yards and there he/she is. Not always, but I'm getting better at doing that.

Quartering away, double lung and he's not going far.
    Good luck to you!
  • hunter1025
    Options
    I've never spun my arrow, but was thinking about starting. I usually shoot 6 arrows 3-4 different time and the ones that hit where I am aiming are the ones I put in the quiver.

As for BH, Shot placement is everything no matter what BH you use. I use the 2 blade Rage and love it. Huge exit hole and a ton of blood. I have never trailed a deer more that 50 yards when shooting one with a rage.

Good luck!!!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I like the Rage because they come with a field tip that flies like the BH.