Does the silence bother you too?

Options
SteffiLatta
SteffiLatta Posts: 31 Member
I wouldn't change having had the bypass, but does it bother anyone else when you're out to dinner with friends, and you finish your food so much faster than the rest? What do you do to fill the silence as they're all munching away oblivious to your frustration?? Though, that may be just me ;-)

Replies

• 178lbs
    178lbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that :)). There is also a further wait whilst they eat their dessert!
  • Myrtle1309
    Myrtle1309 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It used to bother me, but then I remembered I am supposed to eat very slowly. Chewing each bite 20 times seems to help the time pass while others seem to be in a race. Don't let others get to you. Remember why you had the surgery and that you are eating out to socialize.....:smile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change having had the bypass, but does it bother anyone else when you're out to dinner with friends, and you finish your food so much faster than the rest? What do you do to fill the silence as they're all munching away oblivious to your frustration?? Though, that may be just me ;-)
    Since I haven't gotten to this point yet :tongue: I was wondering, when are we able to eat food w/out having to chew on 1 bite for 5 minutes to make it mushy?!?
    I thought it was something we continue to do through the lifespan of having this done??
    Ok...so not literally "5 minutes" but you know what Im saying :wink:
  • Myrtle1309
    Myrtle1309 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out now and still chew my food thoroughly. Although it is not necessary to chew your food to mush, it is a good thing to continue chewing thoroughly. Not only does it make your food go down easier, it also allows you to eat less without feeling deprived. Still not drinking anything for 30 minutes before a meal and 30 minutes after a meal. Not drinking before a meal keeps you from filling your pouch with liquid so that you can't eat the food you need to. Not drinking for 30 minutes after a meal prevents your pouch from emptying too quickly, thus keeping you feeling full longer. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • SteffiLatta
    Options
    I too chew very thoroughly, because if I don't it's like I swallowed a baseball and I feel like I'm having a heart attack. A couple times of forgetting the chew slowly, or dumping after thinking "it's just fruit in the pie, I'll be fine!" put me off a lot of bad behaviors. I think the problem lies with my friends ordering huge meals. I tend to talk a lot, and that might keep them from eating theirs, but I get so bored waiting for them ;-)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What do you all do when it come to....
    When eating at someones home and they have soup as a starter
    Or when they have salad and typically people after surgery are more concerned about getting their protein in 1st.
    How do you avoid or deal with these situations?
    When we go to friends or family, this is usually the way the meals start out and Everyone is well aware that I am not shy when it comes to consuming their soups/salads :tongue:
    Without advertising this new dilemma of "I will only eat the meatballs from your spaghetti or I'll just have that steak/chicken etc"
    Also, I understand that fibrous foods are no longer allowed is that indefinitely?
  • SteffiLatta
    Options
    I'm pretty open with all my friends, or anyone who asks - I need protein above all. I eat the meatball first, and most of the times don't have room for the pasta, although I've been known to eat some. You can't avoid all situations.