First trimester exhaustion...

Options
fit_mama30
fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
Woah, am I being lazy or is that normal? Ever since week 4 I've been exhausted! I'm now only 5 weeks pregnant and I function OK from 7 am to about 2-3pm, but after that I just feel so tired :( I can't seem to work out... All I wanna do is stay at home and sleep or rest/watch TV. I have no energy!

It feels very foreign to me because I used to train several times a week. I've always needed my 8 hours of sleep nightly but now it doesn't seem enough. I have a (private) dance lesson in 2 hours and I don't know how I'll make it. That's normal, right?! I sort of feel lazy/guilty. I wanted to take a dance class 1x a week in september but I don't think I will because I'm just too tired. I might drop in when I feel OK but otherwise I don't think I'll workout much during my first trimester. Please tell me this is normal?

Replies

• jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal. At least that's exactly how I've been so you're not alone. I'm 11 weeks now and I'm starting to get a little bit better but I still need my daily nap. That was one of the symptoms that made me take a pregnancy test. I could have a 3 hour nap and still need to go to bed at 9pm. I used to workout out 5 days a week and now I really don't do much other than the occational walk. I've read that it's gets much better in the second trimester. I'm already looking into some classes and videos that will ease me back into working out. All the best.... now go take a nap :)
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It is normal....I went from 5-6 days working out to 3 days a week...Tho I can't say I was tired I was just being lazy....I feel like my 2nd trimester is going harder than my first which is not normal from reading around... I am experiencing round ligament pain and it is no joke... Listen to you body tho I would say and don't worry so much on having to workout..took me a minute to grasp it but I did...
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! Apart from my weekly dance class, I'll take it easy if I need to. If I feel good and I have enough energy, I'll go to the gym but I think I'll just nap most days after work ;)
  • lukfitnessprogress
    lukfitnessprogress Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It took me until around week 13 to feel ok doing what I did before...........I was so tired, it should pass :))))))
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Im 9 1/2 weeks and have been fighting this extreme fatigue since about week 6. Prior to this I was at the gym 5-6 days a week. Now Im lucky if Im making it 3 days a week. I get home from work and just want to go to bed. There have been days recently where I shut my office door and sleep for an hour. Its bad! lol Hopefully this will start to fade.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    totally normal - it was only around week 13/14 that it started to ease for me. And I'm now coming up on 25 weeks and it hasn't come back yet. Everybody told me that the second trimester was so much easier and for me that has really been true. Don't push too hard - your energy will come back :)
  • nishiem13
    nishiem13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. I'm at 7wks right now, and felt fine up until this week. I feel like the exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks! i'm exhausted from the time i get up to the time I go to bed. I'm in bed about 9pm and wake up feeling even more tired. I was working out 6 days a week and continued to do so until this week. I have done yoga twice this week. I'm hoping to do a barre workout tonight to see if that helps with my energy level. It doesn't help that i work full time and have an 18 month old to run after after work. This is how i was with my last pregnancy as well, except i was able to go home and nap after work. Not so much anymore. As soon a I hit my 2nd trimester in my last pregnancy, i felt like i got my energy back! So i'm counting down the days for this one. Maybe the magic fairy will come clean my house too. Fingers crossed... :smile:
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Normal! I was sleeping probably around 9-10 hours at night and still taking 1-2 naps daily during my last pregnancy. I was swimming hard with a team 5 days a week and, in retrospect, I think that was a bad idea. It did not make me feel better. So cut yourself some slack about not getting in as much exercise as you used to. Some women can exercise vigorously throughout their pregnancies without feeling like hell, and other women can't. I wish I hadn't felt like I had to prove something to the world with my swim team because I think not swimming would have made me feel better and more comfortable. This time around I am going to listen to my body.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am about 6 weeks now, and just this week, I have been so tired all day. Last night at around 8 or 9, I feel asleep in the middle of a conversation...my eyes just would not stay open any longer. we have a busy weekend planned, and I don't think that I will get through it without a nap each day...we are not telling anyone yet, so it should be interesting...