Leslie Sansone DVDs & Using a Fitbit

Options
KymGreer92
KymGreer92 Posts: 26 Member
I restarted using Leslie Sansone's DVDs because I bought a Fitbit. The DVDs help me reach my 10,000 steps a day goal. I sync my Fitbit to get the amount of calories I burned doing the DVD. Should I be logging the workout and override what Fitbit says in calories burned?

I'm not sure the correct titles of the DVDs I use. I think they're called 30 min. in 30 days and Firm in 4 Fast Miles. I don't have a heart rate monitor yet. So I have no way of knowing exact calories I burned doing the workout. That will hopefully be my next purchase.

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Hi Kym,

It's been said that each mile burns 100 calories. I know that can't be true for all of us. But I also have a Fitbit and I think that it doesn't count certain moves as steps... I 'm thinking the side steps are not being counted, but I'm not sure.

Leslie was quoted on MyFitnessPal's hellohealthy blog recently saying she would log her walking workouts as Aerobics, General. I think there's a gulf between Fitbit and MFP and you're right that only an HRM will show exactly what you're burning.

Hope this is helpful. :smile:
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    the fitbit seems to be on track with mfp if you enter it is as aerobics. mine is off about 50 calories. I stick with what mfp says as its a little lower.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to get a fitbit in the next couple of months, glad to know how to log it. Thanks!
  • bandit5125
    Options
    Leslie will tell you to log it as aerobics as that's what you are doing. If I log it as just walking it doesn't equal what the fitbit does, aerobics does.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use a Heart Rate Monitor and only burn about 75 cal per mile unless it's one with lots of boosts. Before the HRM, calorie burns were overestimated using Aerobics. I seem to be in the minority, but it's worth mentioning for those who might be there with me. A HRM was the best gift ever!

Just today, I did the 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk for 68 min and the burn was only 431, and that contained boosts and I use more arms.
  • KymGreer92
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great advice and helpful tips. :happy:

I just love my Fitbit and Leslie's DVDs. They are a great combination. I have noticed I lost inches and pounds in the last couple of weeks since switching to Leslie's DVDs. I was using Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution DVDs and I just seemed to bulk up and not lose anything. Also there were to many plank exercises and it was aggravating my carpal tunnel. I'm glad I rediscovered Leslie and her DVDs.
  • bandit5125
    Options
    I think it depends on your weight and if you use the boosts. I burn about 140 calories a mile. I usually do the 5 advanced miles with the walking belt, stretchy band and hand weights
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your weight and if you use the boosts. I burn about 140 calories a mile. I usually do the 5 advanced miles with the walking belt, stretchy band and hand weights

It depends on weight and how much you put into it, of course. But also on how much energy you have. (I burn less when sleep deprived.) I'm sure there are other factors. I weigh around 153-ish today.

I don't usually do the 5 Advanced Miles since it's so long and I get tired of digging out all of the equipment, but I had some time so I did it today. For 71 min, I only burned 430 calories. I tried to stay very true to the workout which means all equipment and boosts but I actually caught myself using extra arms since I'm so used to doing that and that would have caused a slight increase. I found it very difficult to keep my heart rate up in miles 4 and 5, even with the arms.

I actually like this style of workout as far as the first couple of miles. My favorites are the 2 Fast Miles and 4 Fast Miles and I like the new Walk to the Hits. I wish that I could morph all of those together into one workout. I really wish I could work for Leslie helping design workouts so I could get just what I like all in one. LOL
  • KymGreer92
    Options
    On Leslie's new DVD you can program your own workout. It comes out next week. I think there are about 6 workouts on it. I want to finish her 30 day DVD and read some reviews before purchasing it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    On Leslie's new DVD you can program your own workout. It comes out next week. I think there are about 6 workouts on it. I want to finish her 30 day DVD and read some reviews before purchasing it.

It appears to be programmable:

"You can mix + match any way you like. The easy-to-use DVD menu allows you to plan your own workout combinations. Plus, Leslie offers you three pre-planned workouts made up of her favorite combinations. With so many options, you can't help but STAY MOTIVATED!"

Video clip.....reviews should come in shortly after 8/26 (release date).

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/mix-match-walk-blasters