PCOS and hunger levels

Options
girlviernes
girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
Hey! I am curious as to your thoughts about amount of hunger that is OK to have during weight loss given PCOS.

I think that some hunger is normal with any weight loss and not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like I am right on the edge - where if I eat all of my planned calories I can just make it through without having hunger-related problems, but if I miss a snack or don't eat meals ASAP I will start to have difficulty focusing. Is that the right amount of hunger, or too much?

I'd love to hear from folks who have lost a good amount of weight, especially if you have maintained it!

Replies

• mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have found that the more carbs I incorporate into my diet, the hungrier I am. I have recently switched to a lower carb, higher fat intake and it has helped my hunger and cravings tremendously! I don't know what levels you're eating at, but I do suggest adding in more healthy fats (avocado, heavy cream, real butter, coconut oil) to help satiate your appetite more.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I could probably eat more fat although by no means am I on a low fat diet. I think I am about 30-35% fat in my diet.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've found that consistently eating some protein at every meal or snack helps with the hunger. Some great snacks when you do get hungry are boiled egg, piece of cheese, greek yogurt, handful of nuts... sometimes I'll even just go for a scoop of protein powder in water for a snack. Usually helps me!
  • FFoodLover14
    FFoodLover14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have also found that I can't eat carbs like I used to. I have been trying to eat low amylose and I do get a little hungry, but it's not bad. It is the perfect balance for me because I can have some carbs but they are low glycemic index and I can control what goes I to my mouth.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't heard of the low amylose diet. I love bananas though! Do you eat sweet potatoes?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs, ( 124 to be exact ) and I have 80 more lbs to lose with insulin resistant PCOS.
    what helped me immensley was getting on metformin ( even though the medicine was hard to adjust to at first )
    and then cutting out white sugars , doing yoga three times a week and cardio at least 2 times per week.
    I have found that with the metformin I dont get the intense carb cravings as I did before I was taking it. Everyone is different, but my doctor increased my dosage to 2000 mg per day and now I hardly get any sugar spikes. It has helped tremendously.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    None of my doctors have ever been very concerned about the PCOS or insulin resistance. It seems like my A1C number is the only thing they go by. I recently got the name of a reproductive endocrinologist, and i need to make an appointment with her. I would really like to try metformin and see whether that makes a difference.