Potty training :(

Options
camorganart
camorganart Posts: 31 Member
Hello, mums.

I can feel my stress levels reaching exorbitant levels and I want to binge eat so badly. My three year old is potty training and up until three weeks ago was doing wonderfully and staying dry during nap time.

Now she pees on herself every. single. day. I explain to her that she can't go pee during nap time. She says "Okay" and then does it again the next day and now won't stop. I have no idea what to do. She was doing so well and now is regressing. I have no one to ask but this group for advice. How can I help her overcome this hurtle?

Replies

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old that I just finished potty training. I make him go potty right before I lay him down, then ask him if he has to go as soon as he wakes up. I have swatted his back side a couple of times too. Not enough to hurt him, just enough to tell him no and to let him know that wetting himself if not ok. He turned 2, 4 1/2 months ago, and has only peed in the bed twice since then. I just let him run around naked, unless there are non-family members over, and constantly ask him if he has to go potty. He has it down now and goes by himself. He has even seen his dad and big brothers going often enough that he likes to stand up to pee in the potty. It's pretty cute to watch him on his tippy toes trying to be a big boy. The sad part is that he does a better job at getting it in the potty than any of his older brothers do! lol

Good luck with your little one!
  • camorganart
    Options
    Thanks. My kid pees and poops in the potty during the day great. She has that down. It's only during nap time and at bed time that she wets herself. She uses the potty before she lays down, which is why it's quite perplexing and frustrating to me.
  • fuzznewtons
    Options
    I have two children and both of them regressed after using the bathroom fine for weeks. It is very normal. The worst thing you can do is get really frustrated, it only makes it worse. Mine weren't fully potty trained until about 4 for naps and bedtime, it is physically difficult for them to wake up by themselves and go to the bathroom when they are deeply asleep. If you want to continue trying the bedtime potty training, may I suggest waking her up about 2 hours after she goes to bed to take her to the bathroom? My 6 yo still gets up around 10:30 every night and uses the restroom, because we always got her up at that time. I understand the urge to binge, and kid behaviors are a major trigger. Hang in there!
  • camorganart
    Options
    fuzz, THANK YOU. I wasn't sure if it was normal and since my daughter is my first and only child I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I feel a lot better now. I'll keep moving forward with the potty training and hope that she continues to learn how to control her muscles and eventually stays dry :)
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My son is fully potty trained now (3 also) except for bedtime. I make sure that as I'm about to read his naptime books I tell him to "go in the toilet so you don't pee in the bed." Every time.

I let him go for a while in just underwear to bed and he was fine, but for about a week he peed every day. I tried to put a night-time pull up on him again the other day and found him awake at almost 10 pm because he wanted to take it off. I don't think they are able to wake up and work their way to the bathroom in time at night yet.

I just keep the baby monitor on next to me and if he starts whining loud I know that he either needs new sheets and clothes or needs me to put him at the toilet really fast so he doesn't need new ones. And the soft waterproof liners for beds are wonderful.

Not sure that I'm being helpful, but at least you know now you don't have to feel alone. :happy:
  • missAndi75
    Options
    My son does the same thing. I have 6 friends with 4+ kids each. All of their kids were potty trained. They all gave me the exact same potty training advice regarding naps and nighttime: don't sweat naptime/nighttime incidents in particular. In fact, they all said to just keep my son in pull-ups or other nighttime undies. Most of the time, my son is dry after his nap.

If your child does not like wearing pull-ups, I'd try a cloth diaper version of a pull-up. They look and feel more like undies, but they aren't.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    At that young age don't worry about nap time or night time, they are too young to understand or to really wake themselves up. I would suggest just putting a pull up on for when they sleep. It will come eventually, maybe not when you would like it to but it will happen in time.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old girl and so also was doing brilliantly until about two weeks ago and now always wets her nappie before i can catcher and put her on the toilet, but i have done this four times previously with my other kids and it is perfectly normal. I know she will get the hang of it just like my other kids. Try nt to stress