Knee pain

Options
mmmb300
mmmb300 Posts: 10 Member
Any runners here experience knee pain?

I've registered for my first full marathon this coming October.
I began my training in June, starting seeing a athletic massage therapist and chiropractor 2x a month through training for preventative measures, had to re-evaluate my training plan in July because I was so freaking exhausted from running 4x a week plus trying to get X-training in and rest days (did my 1st tri during June too).

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a sharp pain in my right knee cap area. Hurt like a SOB to run and walk up and down stairs, painfull, but tolerable to kneel on it, and minor/dealable throbing through other activities. Took it to the Massage therapist, She put me through the gamet and thought it was an over used/inflamed patellar tendon. Took it to my Chiro and he thought the same thing. While rest does make it hurt less, to the point where I think I can run on it again, put 4 miles in and it flares back up.

My Chiro has KT taped it which seems to help a bit. I've been icing and resting the best I can. I've missed 2 long runs (11 & 12 miles) have 14 ont he block for tomorrow which I don't think will happen.

So my question being... have any of you runners experienced something like this? If so what was recovery like? How long does it last? Am I destin to never run again because of this? I'm going crazy and am begining to think that my 1st marathon wont happen!

Thanks in advance!
Michele

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What was your running background before you signed up for a marathon? You mentioned that running 4x a week plus cross training was exhausting...what was the longest race you've completed previously.

I was 58 when I started training for a 1/2 marathon (I'm 59 now) and I was following a run-walking program that required 4 run-walks a week (one of them being a long run, the shorter ones were 30-45 minutes). I found my old body wasn't given enough time to rest and repair, so I went to a 3x a week run-walk program. I completed the 1/2 marathon in 2:25.

I know have 3 1/2 marathons under my belt and I'm currently training to do a full marathon for my 60th birthday in January 2015 (Disney World). I'm going to run-walk that as well.

My point is, some of the marathon training programs assume "one size fits all," but don't take into account age--which REALLY is a factor since as one gets older, it takes longer to mend.

Sounds like you have "Runner's Knee":

Symptoms of Runner's Knee include: pain behind or around the kneecap, pain when the knee is bent, pain that is often worse going up and down stairs, swelling and popping or grinding sensations in the knee.

Treatment for it is RICE. I can't say how long it's going to take to get back to 100%, but what I do know is that in order to finish a race, you've gotta first show up in some type of shape to complete the course in the allotted time.

I would recommend that when you feel good enough to run again, use a run-walk program like Galloway to ease back into your program...better still, run-walk the entire marathon so you'll have a better chance of crossing the finish line vertical and uninjured.

I hope your knee is feeling better soon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any runners here experience knee pain?

I think that every runner at some point in their running career experiences knee pain and other assorted overuse injuries. The usual reason is trying to do too much to soon too fast. The other usual suspects are inappropriate/worn footwear and/or weak hip/glutes.

Without knowing more about you running history that's about as specific as I can get.

There's always another marathon, take the time to heal properly and work your way back slowly. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong, if you've missed your 11 & 12 you'd be crazy to try your 14 miler.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a diagnosis which is good but can anybody tell you why you have the problem? If you don't find a way to address why it will likely, and this seems to be the case, keep coming back.

I do think it is important to address this even if it means missing your marathon. Which would stink. But if you get more seriously injured you could miss many more in the future.

As Brian said, most knee problems are not knee problems and I think he hit the usual suspects. the good news is if you can find the cause I think this can heal and be prevented from recurring fairly quickly
  • mmmb300
    Options
    What was your running background before you signed up for a marathon? You mentioned that running 4x a week plus cross training was exhausting...what was the longest race you've completed previously.

I've been running for 5+ years. Completed 4 1/2 marathons and more 5, 8, 10ks then I have figures to count on. So I'm not inexperienced by no means. I never followed any training plans for my 1/2s, just went out and ran 4-5 miles a few times during the week and longer on the weekends up to 10 miles a week or 2 before the race. My PB for my last half (last year this same race) was 2:03. I average a 8:50-9:20 minute mile

I hit the big 4-0 this year and wanted to up the ante a bit and go for the full. I'm not one to sit around and do nothing so the "RICE" (and rest) is driving me crazy!

Thanks everyone
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had "runner's knee" from 1978 until about 3 months after I started running (2010). Yup, a long time and lots of pain and it was resolved due to building the muscles in my legs.

I can not speak highly enough about this site:

http://www.runningwritings.com/p/the-injury-series.html

I had Achilles problems earlier this year, followed his advice, and cleared up the issue pronto.

On the topic of knee pain, his analysis tracks with my diagnosis 35 years ago and his course of treatment is well supported by other (respected) sources.

Tape, braces, etc. are treating the symptom instead of the cause.

Good luck with this.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have iliotibial band syndrome, so not really the same thing (my pain is on the outside of my knee).

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Bracoo-Knee-Strap-Size-Black/dp/B009LA8ZDY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1409015959&sr=8-11&keywords=knee+band

Just enter 'knee band' into Amazon's search and you get lots of different types.

It has worked wonders. So long as I use it for every run, I have very little pain. Still some, but nothing like before I started using it. Might be worth a shot to try it out--it does support my knee nicely when I run. I'm not familiar with what you're experiencing, but maybe some additional support for the patella won't hurt.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have iliotibial band syndrome, so not really the same thing (my pain is on the outside of my knee).

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Bracoo-Knee-Strap-Size-Black/dp/B009LA8ZDY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1409015959&sr=8-11&keywords=knee+band

Just enter 'knee band' into Amazon's search and you get lots of different types.

It has worked wonders. So long as I use it for every run, I have very little pain. Still some, but nothing like before I started using it. Might be worth a shot to try it out--it does support my knee nicely when I run. I'm not familiar with what you're experiencing, but maybe some additional support for the patella won't hurt.

I have ordered said device based upon your recommendation. Thank you. Unless it doesn't work, then you owe me $6. Just kidding.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly be overstriding? do you know your cadence by any chance?
    If you are a heel striker especially, overstriding ( hit out in front of your body instead of keeping your feet under you) or striking without the knee being sufficiently bent, you end up with a lot of knee pain.

Theres been a lot of studies on this recently with all the calls for barefoot running. Many of deduced that it is not heel striking that causes knee problems, it is overstriding with a heel strike.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I have ordered said device based upon your recommendation. Thank you. Unless it doesn't work, then you owe me $6. Just kidding.

Ha! Good luck collecting!

Do hope it works for you, though, and not just because I don't want to owe you 6 bucks!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I use a similar wrap, and it has been amazing. IT band syndrome is freaking painful, and that thing has been magical. My doc told me that stretching the IT band would also be key to getting it to go away.
  • mmmb300
    Options
    Could you possibly be overstriding? do you know your cadence by any chance?
    If you are a heel striker especially, overstriding ( hit out in front of your body instead of keeping your feet under you) or striking without the knee being sufficiently bent, you end up with a lot of knee pain.

Theres been a lot of studies on this recently with all the calls for barefoot running. Many of deduced that it is not heel striking that causes knee problems, it is overstriding with a heel strike.

Not a heel striker... I land mid to ball of the foot and I don't believe I am over striding... Cadence... I measured it once (of course can't remember it now) and I think it was in a good range?
  • lucent78
    lucent78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have patella tendinitis in both my knees, worse on my right. My knee pain was actually a result of weak glutes and hips and tight quads and calves. When I decided I wanted to run a full marathon I started with strength training 6 weeks before marathon training started. I worked with a physical therapist at my chiropractor. Tons of squats, clamshells, hip flexor exercises, etc. and core strengtheners. This plus foam rolling and stretching multiple times a week (quads, IT band, inside my thighs) and I was able to keep the tendinitis at bay and complete my marathon pain free.

I know you're mid-training and starting to get into the long miles, but if you aren't already strengthening your glutes,hips, and core than that could be a major part of what's bugging your knee. I agree with a previous poster regarding knee bands and such. They mask the pain but don't actually get to the root of the problem. They may help you get your long miles in but you also have to address the reasons behind the pain.

Good Luck!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My knee pain came from something that occurred during walking/hiking. Some minor damage to the meniscus. A simple wrong step caused me a great deal of pain for several years. It took several weeks for the worst of the symptoms to reduce to a very manageable level. It has never gone "completely" away.

However, when I resumed running I was mindful of this limitation in my knee and what I've noticed is that running has actually helped as long as I don't overdue it by overstriding. Every once in a while my knee pain flares up (though nothing like when I initially injured it) and I might need to ice it , take some over the counter pain relief and back off for a day or two.

But the range of motion without pain has dramatically increased over the last year even though I've trained for 3 marathons, 3 half-marathons and a 10-mile race. Throw in a couple of 5Ks and I consider the fact that I can run reasoanbly fast for my age group a real plus.

Icing and backing off, including slowing way down for a long run, seems to hold any flare up at bay.
  • ATT949
    Options
    The IT band is almost impossible to "stretch".

Yes, we feel relief when we use a foam roller but it's not because the IT band itself is stretching, rather that the muscles to which it attaches are stretched and that reduces how the IT band is "impinging" on the knee.

The best source of information that I've found on ITBS and PFPS (patella-femoral pain syndrome) is here:

http://www.runningwritings.com/p/the-injury-series.html

In my three years of running I've had a bout of ITBS*, PFPS, and Achilles tendinosis. In every case, I followed the guidance from the above cited site ( :-) ) and issue has resolved.

The more I read about running, the more I see that the muscles in the hip girdle are incredibly important not only in injury avoidance but in allowing us to run efficiently and with good form.

*My first bout of ITBS was right after I finished my first Half marathon back in August 2011. Since it was after the race, one would think that was "good timing". Unfortunately, no.
    The problem was that about 30 minutes after the race ended, I started a "Sunny 1000 Miles in a Day with a Running Start" motorcycle ride.
    There is VERY little joy in riding a motorcycle for 18 hours with IT band pain.
    The link for the race/ride is here:
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=367c4e4e87ed45c19
  • ATT949
    Options
    I have patella tendinitis in both my knees, worse on my right. My knee pain was actually a result of weak glutes and hips and tight quads and calves. When I decided I wanted to run a full marathon I started with strength training 6 weeks before marathon training started. I worked with a physical therapist at my chiropractor. Tons of squats, clamshells, hip flexor exercises, etc. and core strengtheners. This plus foam rolling and stretching multiple times a week (quads, IT band, inside my thighs) and I was able to keep the tendinitis at bay and complete my marathon pain free.

I know you're mid-training and starting to get into the long miles, but if you aren't already strengthening your glutes,hips, and core than that could be a major part of what's bugging your knee. I agree with a previous poster regarding knee bands and such. They mask the pain but don't actually get to the root of the problem. They may help you get your long miles in but you also have to address the reasons behind the pain.

Good Luck!

Thank you for adding that!