Problems with FitBit

Options
DrPsych16
DrPsych16 Posts: 2 Member
Hi all,

I'm a really new FitBit user. I got mine from a friend double-used (he got it from his friend), but neither had complaints of how it works, just got annoyed with it and sold it off. I heard about the activity monitoring feature, but I'm not entirely sure that it's functional on mine. I logged a workout from 4:02 to 4:24 using the tap-into-sleep/activity-mode method, and tapping out when I was done, but I don't think it worked. The FB site said there was an activity log 4:02-4:02 with no minutes and no steps, no anything. Did I do it wrong?

Also, how do I get my "active minutes" on FB to sync with my workouts on MFP? It seems whenever I log a workout on MFP during the time that I have "active minutes" on FB, it takes them away from FB, so it looks like I have 0 or very few active minutes.

Honestly, I'm confused by this whole MFP/FitBit scenario and I'm starting to wonder if it was a good idea to sync the two. Would it be best if I just left it all alone and let the calorie adjustment do its magic and quit watching it so closely?

Thanks all!

Replies

• goldenrodfarm
    goldenrodfarm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    fitbit often thinks an activity you log in is not very active and changes you to active instead, in those cases I usually don't bother to log in the activity. I check the activity log to find the exact times to log in activities, you will find MFP often overestimates the amount of calories activities use compared with fitbit, I usually just make an estimate between the two.
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. My main use is to track steps as a measure of overall activity and to track sleep. When I cycle or do non-step activities I click it into activity mode and click at the end of the workout. I go into my fitbit account and edit the activity with description, type, calories (if I have HRM data or other estimate). Then I delete the duplicate entry which fitbit logged as steps. I do sync fitbit and mfp (and healthvault and google spreadsheets).

Works for me. I tack weight, activity, blood pressure, sleep, and diet. See my blog for a description of how I pull together the data:
    http://johntmoore.blogspot.com/

I wonder if you tapped at the end of your activity?

I think the decision to Fitbit or not, and to sync or not, depends on what your goals and interests are. I want 8-12 k steps per day for a variety of reasons. Also want to increase my cycling. So I track steps and cycling separately. I use the Fitbit Aria for weight and body composition tracking (estimates). I look at trends on all my data and do not get hung up on short term fluctuations.

All the best.