So Tired

Options
Hi

I'm a SAHM and my previously sleeping angel has for the last 2 weeks not been sleeping. I'm feeling almost as groggy as I did when she was a newborn. She's 18 months now.

All I want to do is slob around in my jammies and eat cookies. Any tips for staying on track?

Lx

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Coffee :)

My 16 week old has started waking up loads and I've been so tired. I've also got my 5 and 3 year olds at home as it's still the Summer holidays in England.

I had a sickness bug over the weekend too, so just allowed myself a couple of days of rest.

I find going out for a walk helps clear your head a bit, and maybe some fresh air will help your daughter sleep better.
  • LoobyGongzhu
    LoobyGongzhu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    3 small people in the house! eek! Thanks for the response

If I was still in the UK I would go out for a walk but it's 80F (and climbing) with 60% humidity. It's obviously time to develop an iced coffee habit.

Lx
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    3 small people in the house! eek! Thanks for the response

If I was still in the UK I would go out for a walk but it's 80F (and climbing) with 60% humidity. It's obviously time to develop an iced coffee habit.

Lx

It's raining here and 16 celcius! British Summer, gotta love it!

Iced coffee is good :smile: I make frappuccinos in the blender sometimes...coffee, flavoured syrup, ice cubes, splash of milk.

Do you have an air conditioned shopping mall you could walk around? Not that exciting, but a bit of exercise, and you could get a coffee!

P.S are you English, or an American who lived in the UK?
  • LoobyGongzhu
    Options
    Yeah I've been following the moaning about the british weather on my friends FB.

I'm English and I moved over here 3 years ago to marry my internet sweetie!

I don't drive for medical reasons so we end up cooped up in the house quite a bit. I'm going to take her out to the pool after lunch. We don't get much swimming done but it's nice to splash and play.

Lx
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Do you have your own pool?

Good thing about England is you can walk to a lot of places, bet you miss that. I live right by the sea, and we can walk pretty much everywhere, and we're 5 mins walk from the station too. I do drive, but I'm trying to save on petrol money while on maternity leave.

We've actually had a pretty good Summer, but the past few days have been a bit crap.
  • LoobyGongzhu
    Options
    We live in a gated community so we share pool and tennis courts with 140 houses.

I REALLY miss being able to walk anywhere. Especially to the shops. I miss the sea as well. I used to be able to see the ocean (well Morecambe bay at least) from my bedroom.

Lx
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My main advice would be to get dressed. I feel so much better about the day if I've put on clothes. Even if we didn't go anywhere. I get dressed, I get the kids (ages 3 years, 20 months, and 3 months) dressed and have set things. Breakfast (usually about 9am). Play or go out (I choose not to get out everyday with 3 smalls). Lunch (I have to make sure I don't snack before this because if I do then I blow my calories - around noon). I ALWAYS have at least one snack in the afternoon during the two older ones' nap time. It's my sneaky reward. Then dinner with husband home. We usually go for a walk after dinner (it's been 80's-90's at like 7pm, but we stay in the shade, walk slow and drink lots of water because the kids and I NEED to get out of the house). Bath times then bed. Routine routine routine. It doesn't battle fatigue, but it keeps me going. Also I have one soda at lunch. I don't even know if I answered the question.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I agree that routine is important. I'd also try to get to that pool every day, just for a bit of exercise and fresh air.

I'd go insane staying home with my kids day after day! We go out pretty much every single day - beach, park, seafront, scooters, soft play etc. I appreciate that you can't do that, but even going for a short walk is better than nothing.
  • LoobyGongzhu
    Options
    Chelsea yes you did answer the question. Thanks for the support.

Little one slept for the first night in nearly 2 weeks so I managed to sleep as well. 11hours of blissful rest has made me feel a lot perkier. Back on track and feeling better means its easier to avoid the lure of the cookie jar

Lx
  • spunkychelsea
    Options
    I agree that routine is important. I'd also try to get to that pool every day, just for a bit of exercise and fresh air.

I'd go insane staying home with my kids day after day! We go out pretty much every single day - beach, park, seafront, scooters, soft play etc. I appreciate that you can't do that, but even going for a short walk is better than nothing.

Trust me, it's not cause I want to stay home, it's mostly because getting out seems so much harder. THe toddlers aren't that bad, it's the chasing of the toddlers in two different directions while holding the infant because she wants to nurse or doesn't want to be in the carrier for some reason. I've been trying to plan outings during her usual nap time (she is starting to get a routine) so that she'll sleep in the carrier. But I'm having a hard time pushing the double stroller with a kid precariously perched in a carrier (my husband showed her she likes to face out now she hates facing in, but she falls asleep and her head falls forward so I feel like I should hold it up so she can breathe easier - but that leaves 1 hand to push the stroller and 60 lbs of toddler). Getting them in the car when my no one can get themselves in or out of their car seats (my son is 3 and REFUSES to even put his arms through the straps on his own). I just...it's hard right now.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Trust me, it's not cause I want to stay home, it's mostly because getting out seems so much harder. THe toddlers aren't that bad, it's the chasing of the toddlers in two different directions while holding the infant because she wants to nurse or doesn't want to be in the carrier for some reason. I've been trying to plan outings during her usual nap time (she is starting to get a routine) so that she'll sleep in the carrier. But I'm having a hard time pushing the double stroller with a kid precariously perched in a carrier (my husband showed her she likes to face out now she hates facing in, but she falls asleep and her head falls forward so I feel like I should hold it up so she can breathe easier - but that leaves 1 hand to push the stroller and 60 lbs of toddler). Getting them in the car when my no one can get themselves in or out of their car seats (my son is 3 and REFUSES to even put his arms through the straps on his own). I just...it's hard right now.

I wasn't criticising you! I personally find I have to go out....my kids are very active. My eldest is 5 too, so it's probably easier. Plus I rarely need to use my car as we're walking distance from the beach/shops/train station etc. In England people tend to walk a lot more. My 3 year old stopped using a stroller for good at 2.5, so I don't have a double to worry about. It's very rare for kids over 3 to be in strollers here.

Do you have a garden? We live in a flat so we don't, which is why we go out so much.
  • spunkychelsea
    Options
    I wasn't criticising you! I personally find I have to go out....my kids are very active. My eldest is 5 too, so it's probably easier. Plus I rarely need to use my car as we're walking distance from the beach/shops/train station etc. In England people tend to walk a lot more. My 3 year old stopped using a stroller for good at 2.5, so I don't have a double to worry about. It's very rare for kids over 3 to be in strollers here.

Do you have a garden? We live in a flat so we don't, which is why we go out so much.

I didn't feel criticized. :) It's more I get mad at myself because I want and need to get out more, but it's hard. I'm in California in a big city in the United States. So there's one park within walking distance, everything else (grocery shopping, entertainment) all has to be done by car. My son isn't the best listener yet, but doesn't mind the stroller so I use it to make sure he doesn't run out into the street. My husband suggested I start having him walk next to the stroller while I push the younger two in it, but I haven't found the car seat attachment (I haven't even looked yet as he's trying to get us to move house soon and he's trying to work on the house to sell) to try to do that. I'm just overwhelmed. I'm mad at myself, I feel like I should be able to figure this out. I was able to get out with two kids. Three seems to have crippled me.

We do have a yard in the back with lots of toys, I need to take them out there more, it's just easier sometimes to trap them in the house.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Shower!
    Honestly, in feel like if I can handle at least this one thing every day, I feel so much better. I do whatever neccesary, even sacrifice sleep to get in a shower. It just makes me feel more reviatlized and refreshed than the 15 in sleep would have.
    I take a shower in the morning to help get my day started. From there - gosh, every day is different.
    I have the ability, the means, the patience, the lack of older kids - to get out of the house. But, get out and do what?
    My oldest leaves for school each weekday morning and I only have the baby at home. I hate being stuck in the house and want to get out but out there is so mundane too... See, I live in the dry hot desert! So, going to play in the sand, not an option unless you like to get burnt. Even playing in the river this time of year = sunburn. So, anything outside is out with a baby, not happening. Indoors but not home? Unless you gave the money to eat out all the time, that's out too. Because I can't take my baby to go play laser tag or to go bowling or to the movies. So, I give up and sit home with the baby... Which honestly, is the best darn thing in the whole world. Boring at times? No - melancholy yes, not bored. I have plenty to do I just do I just don't want to do it. Frustrating? Heck yes! But, there is nowhere else I would rather be.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

I didn't feel criticized. :) It's more I get mad at myself because I want and need to get out more, but it's hard. I'm in California in a big city in the United States. So there's one park within walking distance, everything else (grocery shopping, entertainment) all has to be done by car. My son isn't the best listener yet, but doesn't mind the stroller so I use it to make sure he doesn't run out into the street. My husband suggested I start having him walk next to the stroller while I push the younger two in it, but I haven't found the car seat attachment (I haven't even looked yet as he's trying to get us to move house soon and he's trying to work on the house to sell) to try to do that. I'm just overwhelmed. I'm mad at myself, I feel like I should be able to figure this out. I was able to get out with two kids. Three seems to have crippled me.

We do have a yard in the back with lots of toys, I need to take them out there more, it's just easier sometimes to trap them in the house.

I've been to California...only to San Francisco, and LA via the PCH. We stopped at Santa Cruz too. Before kids obviously! Looking back I don't remember seeing lots of kids about. I guess somewhere like Santa Cruz would be a nice place for kids, or Venice Beach maybe, that would be good for scooters and running about! I can see that you'd have to drive everywhere though. Really strange for am English person!

When my son was a toddler he had reins so I'd loop those round my wrist while he walked. He was 22 months when my second was born and didn't want to sit in a stroller much even then. Can you see why I need to get out lol. It is a good idea to get your 3 year old used to walking. As mine did it from a young age, they were fine by 3, had good road sense.

This is where I live: http://www.discoverbexhill.com/attractions/britishseaside.php. Perfect for kids. We're 2 minutes walk from the beach.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    well...personally I just adjust myself to maintenance rather than weight loss when my kiddos do that. I'm not in this to compete in a bikini competition and I don't have any short term goals...just a goal to generally eat a healthy diet and exercise for health and strength. So with that a week or two of letting things "slip" is ok with me. I think sleep is a basic need. Its hard to do anything when you are deprived of it. If the poor sleep is a temporary thing (teething, developmental leap, illness, move, routine change) then I would just give yourself permission to ride it out...oh and get dressed and shower every day. If you had to, I'd stop buying cookies for a week. Or substitute them with cereal or something. But it sounds like things are already better.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    after rough nights, i find i feel better if i go for a walk with my baby, the sun, fresh air and exercise help make me feel more alert and on top of things. plus she often sleeps well in the pram/ergo
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options

sounds like an Aussie winter ;)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

sounds like an Aussie winter ;)

Lol about right! It's actually sunny today. Although I took my kids to the beach in the rain the other day. The things you do for your kids....