August 22, 2014 - Do you know Why?

Options
Good morning!

Okay topic of the day was inspired by my surgeon - he said that in order to help someone they have to know why they are fat. And btw I liked his use of that word, he didn't use something silly like fluffy, or overweight, or obese, just plain fat and I liked that straightforward plain word, no sugar coating there.

So why are you fat? Can you answer that question?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because I'm scared. I'm scared to try when I've always failed. I'm scared to succeed because I have no idea what that will look like. I'm scared to lose weight because I don't know who I'll be in the end - and if I'll even like her. I'm scared to fail because that is what I've always done. I'm scared to push because my health has been so wonky (ironic, because if I don't push, I will get worse...)... I'm scared of working hard and sweating because it HURTS! I'm scared of not, because that hurts in other ways. I'm scared of having a real life. I'm scared of not having one... I'm scared...and because of that, I'm fat.

I have RATIONAL answers for all of these types of fears, but fear is not rational. The part of me that has to have gumption isn't rational. So I kind of have to circumvent the irrational side, and trick and coerce my way into thinking I'm really not trying, because if I'm not *really* trying, I can't fail...and I don't have to be scared of succeeding. Messed up, no?
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    My biggest fear is not being liked or perceived as a bad mom, or bad whatever it is I'm doing. I think I use my weight as kind of a shield against that. "They must not like me because they think I'm too fat."

But, at the same time, I really do love food. And, I'm not good at self restraint. It's something I'm really working on, in all aspects of my life. Why have one potato chip, chocolate bar, book, cat, swim suit, when you can have TWENTY! Stopping myself at a smaller portion or quantity is a muscle I'm building. Teaching myself to be satisied with just one, so I don't have to deny myself all of it. It's tough work. But, I'm getting there.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am fat because
    I used food to self medicate and comfort myself
    I have an addictive nature and get hooked on sugar
    My mum thought cola and drink were one and same thing so i grew up on it, I also grew up believing breakfast was 2 courses and mountains of pudding eating was a normal evening activity. My mother was a food addict and passed it on.
    I was put on first diet age 10 and fell in to yoyo diet trap
    I have pcos which increases my bodies ability to store and its reluctance to let go
    I was badly bullied in childhood and made to feel ugly and unlikable, this lead to a lack of self f value and belief.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why I am fat. I am going to say though that it is a mixture of different circumstances. I come from a long line of heavy people, I was bullied in grade school, my parents really limited the types and amounts of foods we were allowed to eat growing up so when I moved out and could control what I ate I didn't really understand moderation, I have suffered from depression and low self esteem, had five kids in 8 years and the list goes on. I am thinking about things differently now though. The other day when I got stressed out and frustrated I would have gone for a donut or sweet treat of some sort. This time the only thing I craved was a difficult and fast bike ride.
  • wbl512
    wbl512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am fat because I'm insecure. People wouldn't know I'm insecure because I hide it well....or do I? Stress perpetuates my fatness. Stress is brought on because I'm insecure. What a vicious circle. Insecure-stress-insecure.
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm fat for a few reasons. I was always an obese child. I grew up on fatty meats and creamy casseroles and a whole box of Mac and cheese everyday after school. My mom did not enforce good eating habits.she let me eat whatever and how much I wanted and only kept bad food in the house.When I got older I started to eat when I was depressed. I also love food. I enjoy eating. Unfortunately I have no self control (I'm working on that). Also I have an addictive personality
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm obese for several reasons that compounded upon each other. My problems with food began when I was being sexually abused by my uncle. As I started to gain weight, my mom decided I needed to lose weight (instead of asking why I was eating too much, she focused on the problem not the cause). She restricted my food intake and tore down my self-esteem even more than it already was. To gain some control over my life, I decided I was going to control my eating. I began sneaking food, hiding food, eating in secret. Food turned into my best friend. Which consequentially turned into a food addiction. Even my weight gain after gastric bypass surgery was based on being abused by my uncle, low self-esteem and food addiction. I still battle those three demons but I'm working very hard on them and most days I'm winning but they will always be there.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have spend countless dollars figuring this out. I always knew that I was afraid of failure. I always failed at weight loss and figured if I didn't try then I wouldn't be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong. I'm still disappointed, but in a completely different way. I also knew that I ate my emotions because I didn't have the types of relationships where you could talk about real issues. Instead, my family proved love with food. If they couldn't be around to make me my lunch or dinner, then they'd at least buy me what I wanted to eat. My life was chaotic growing up and food provided some much craved normalcy. What I was surprised to realize was how my binge eating actually started as soon as I was born. We didn't have the healthiest food all the time growing up, but we always had vegetables or fruit with every meal and in the summers we had a huge garden, but I didn't realize how much food I sneaked, ate raw or frozen, hid, and ate in one sitting. I thought this started in high school. So I guess the short answer is...I'm fat because the behaviors that make you fat are more engrained in my brain than the healthy ones.

I used to hold onto a lot of anger. I used to think...why didn't my parents ever call me out on the fact that the family size Doritio bag only lasted an evening or that all the cheese was gone in 2 days? But I have to take responsibility. I felt guilty and ashamed when I ate all that stuff, which tells me I knew enough about nutrition then to understand that what I was doing wasn't healthy and wasn't helping me in the slightest. I'm fat because I let myself get fat, even when I knew better.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sherambler, that sounds like an awful lot of self-blame to me. There is a difference between taking personal responsibility and between becoming a martyr. For me, personally, part of my issue stems from the fact that I have no idea how to aspire to a goal I have never achieved. It isn't like I want to get back to something. I want to achieve something I've never known. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat there. You cannot beat yourself up for not being able to learn self control when it was never demonstrated to you or taught to you. You weren't taught coping methods. Yes, we can learn them now. Yes, there are a number of ways we can learn them: from others, from books, from videos, from observation, from instruction, from trial and error, etc., etc., etc. But as children, we don't generally instinctively know these things. Most of the times, it isn't that our parents don't want to help us (or didn't), it is that they didn't know how or they were busy dealing with their own internal mess-ups.

For me, in this part of my journey, forgiveness has been the biggest component. I was always the failure. I was always the mistake. I was always.... Now I realize that I'm human, and I can't control my destiny, but I can damned sure give it my best effort to steer this boat! LOL

Anyway, I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, it isn't my intention. I am just very passionate, and sometimes it makes me a little over the top. I hope y'all understand.

HUGS!
    Carly in OK