Size Perception Distortion - New topic

Options
I am not talking portions here but your own perception of yourself and your size. For me, and my daughter, and I can now add my friend into the mix, we simply do not see ourselves as big. I mean, I know I am very overweight from the scale, and at 300+ pounds I am really feeling it.

However, when I was at the hospital yesterday I had to strip the top half and put gowns on to cover up, the gowns were on a low stool in front of a full length mirror.. OMG.. moment of ugly truth. And folks, while I do understand and support the theories of those who work to body acceptance.. I just will never accept mine at this weight.. period. and I reserve that right too. I looked huge and absolutely terrible, I have never looked worse, if anything could strengthen my resolve it was that moment I saw just how unhealthily fat I am.

When I told my friend about it she says.. oh yes, she has had the same thing, she feels perfectly normal until she sees photos or a full length mirror and then goes.. OMG.

Do you suffer from this? Do you see yourself as you really are? How does it affect your weight loss efforts? Or not?

Replies

• kdaughertyfp
    kdaughertyfp Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The answer is no...

Even looking in the mirror every morning it did / does not register. 2 years ago I saw myself in a picture and OMG. That is why I never wanted to be in the picture, I am always the picture taker.

This spring I saw myself inn a picture, after losing 120 pounds and still OMG. This past weekend now (after 150 lbs lost) my daughter took a picture of me walking down the street and its better but still have a ways to go.

Its hard to believe or know how we don't see this.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me it is much the same. I am quite a large man, but I think of myself as not being much bigger than my friends. A part of it is I participate in whatever they are doing. I don't let my weight hold me back, but every once in a while I get that ugly reminder of my true size. Sometimes it is a photo, or it could even be lending my suit coat to someone and having it look like a child raiding their father's closet. I think I have accepted the reality of my condition and have been working on losing the weight, but at times I do forget my true size.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a full length mirror , but it seems to be a magic mirror. Some days i look lovely in it and some days I look scary huge in it. My perception is way out. I always look loads worse in pictures than i expect. Pictures are disturbing. I know I am really big but It does not quite sink in most of the time. I can't really conceptulise what being thin must be like. I look at thin people who have visible knee joints, space between thighs, flat stomaches. It is almost like observing another breed of human :laugh: I often forget I probably aught to look like that. I cant remember ever not having a belly. I am struggling to remember what it feels like to walk without my knees rubbing together let alone what air circulation between thighs is. It is not right:noway: Must find my knee bones, pelvic bones and thigh freedom. I will do it or die still trying. Giving up is not an option

Recently i have become particularly facinated by the enormity of my BUM, it really is immence. My body reminds me of a landscape more than a person. Still got to admire it for keeping working as well as it does considering how over loaded it is. Nice body, I still love you really honest, trying to help you :flowerforyou:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I did one of those things where they ask you measurements, then ask you to pick out a silhouette, and it tells you if you are larger or smaller than you think...nearly everyone got smaller, I got larger. Meh. But, as long as I'm looking straight on in the mirror, I like what I see. It is when I turn sideways or backwards (angles to see), that I get thrown for a loop. But, that does leave me with hope that I will eventually like all of the mirror's image!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one for me. I have been overweight since I was a young child due to being sexually abused by my uncle. So I can't even really remember being a "normal" weight. But being overweight never stopped me. I got out and did everything I wanted to do. I played "kill the guy" in the mud with the boys, built treehouses, hiked through the woods, you name it (I guess you can tell I've never really been a girly-girl). Because I was always able to keep up I never considered myself fat, even when I looked in the mirror. Fast forward to the last couple of years of a very bad marriage and having blown all the way up to 525 pounds, and I knew I was fat. I could no longer come and go as I pleased. Walking through the grocery store was a chore and I eventually stopped doing even that. I refused to look in a mirror and hated being in pictures. (Pictures still aren't my favorite but I'm getting better.) Since losing the weight after my RNY 8 years ago, I'm pretty much back to the way of thinking I had when I was young. I can get around and do what I want. I actually enjoy shopping again. But, that's not to say I live in a fantasy land. I know that weighing 290+ pounds make me morbidly obese but most of the time I don't feel that way. When I look in the mirror now, I'm not really horrified by my size but I am horrified of all the sagging skin that resulted from my rapid weight loss due to the RNY. Unfortunately unless I find myself a sugar-daddy or win the lottery, plastic surgery is not an option. So I work with my therapist on accepting my body for what it is and loving myself despite the sagging skin. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.
  • persistentsoul
    Options
    Wow 208 lb lost is pretty amazing. That must feel much better. I agree being able to move about, be more healthy and do the things we want to are the most important reasons to shed the excess lb's.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am keenly aware of how overweight I am, at least I feel like I am. I know it's hard to measure yourself visually. At the same time, being aware of it, I have spent so much time avoiding looking at myself and being in situations where I have to recognize how large I am that I have some distortion. But knowing my BMI and measurements and watching them change has helped.
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I don't *feel* bigger than my friends but I always assume I'm the largest person in any room. The two different perceptions that live in my head are hard to reconcile.

We were at a cookout recently and there was a large woman there. She was pretty big, but honestly, not as big as I fear I am. She moved without any struggle and was sitting in an average sized chair, which was maybe a tiny small for her, but not the way I think I look in a small chair. I asked my husband afterwards if I was larger or smaller than her. He looked at me with a confused look and said "She's bigger than you EVER were."

Huh. That was not what I expected to hear. I couldn't decide if I should completely discount his words because he IS my husband is supposed to be kind to be by law, lol, but maybe there's truth there. I don't know....

I've always looked bigger in pictures than I think I am. Part of it is that I have no neck or chin. :( Even when I was young, before I ever thought I had a weight problem, I had a double chin. I also have a pretty evenly distributed hour glass figure. So, there's no angle that ever makes me look thin. I don't have skinny legs or ankles, no shoulder definition, and while my waist is narrowed, I don't really wear clothes that accentuate that, as it only draws attention to my wide hips and butt and large chest. I guess I need to find some old pictures and do a side by side comparison.

I sometimes am surprised in the mirror to see that large woman over there and realize she's me, if that makes any sense. How am I that big???? And, how am I 60 pounds smaller than I was last year? I feel how big my body is in relationship to everything around me, how chairs are snug, seat belts only have so much room left before the end, how much smaller everyone around me is, but then I'm surprised by how big my reflection is???? I honestly don't understand it
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I realize I am big and for some reason in my mind I always pictured myself as substantially bigger than I really am. Even after losing some weight I can't see the difference. It doesn't make sense because I know that after losing 60 lbs something has to have gotten smaller or the weight wouldn't be gone. I still take the aisle with the largest gap when in a restaurant or store or something, still request a table instead of a booth, worry about if I will fit in the seat comfortably or not. My kids say the difference is really noticeable and the dr is impressed with the loss but I just don't see it. I don't know if it will ever hit a point where I will notice it and feel better about myself. Sometimes I start to feel better and think I might not be looking so bad and then I see my shadow or my reflection in a window and think nope still huge. Its weird because I will see other people who have lost he same amount of weight -even people that started at roughly the same number as me and there is a big difference but I can't see it in myself.
  • pahky
    pahky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've always felt larger than I am. Even at a lower weight this was an issue for me. A lot of it has to do with the fact that not only am I very large, but I'm relatively tall as well. As an example: I'm 311 pounds, 5'9.5", and I wear a size 20/22 jeans or a size 2xl top. I have an awful habit of shopping for clothes in a rush. Sometimes I'll pick a few pieces and not try them on. Because sizes vary so much in different shops (skewed sizes, their own sizes, etc.) I get the ones that look like they're my size instead going by the numbers. As it turns out I consistently buy pieces about three or four sizes bigger. It's not my intention, it's just how I see myself. I'm really hoping that as I get smaller, and learn to be more comfortable with myself that will resolve.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm new to the group but I can relate to each one of your stories. What baffles me is, why do we feel this way? Is it because we are programmed to think like this? Is it what we've heard others say that we then reloop in our own minds? I recently came to the realization that I have to learn to let go of the fat. I have to stop identifying with it because I cam NOT fat, I HAVE fat. Lots and LOTS of it. But why do we own it like a cloak then want to feel gross about it? It's really bizarre when you think about it. I've got lots of fat that I'd like to separate from so I have to stop thinking in terms like, "I am so fat," "I am the biggest person in the room," or "My thighs are huge." It's hard but it needs to be done. To the OP, no I don't feel like I'm mobidly obese but I am. Sometimes I walk around feeling fantastic then I pass a storefront or get in a mirrored elevator and think, "Who is that looking back at me?" Weird.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Welcome, 40andFindingFitness... You'll see that we start a daily thread most days to keep active here! Nice to see you and look forward to getting to know you.... I am often bamboozled at why we are a certain way... I know I keep reading about distancing myself from the concept of not being something, but having something... I'm going to try to focus on that...

I often, too, feel pretty rockin' sometimes, then I see myself in a mirror or picture and think, "What the heck??"

Again, welcome!

Carly in OK
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Carley. :)
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is a HUGE problem for me. I have it in my head that I look one way and even take "selfies" where they come out looking the way I look in my head "good" but whenever someone takes a picture of me or video, I am devastated, ABSOLUTELY devastated for a while over what I see because this is NOT what I see when I look in the mirror. So, I totally get it when you are stuck looking into a mirror that you aren't used to looking into. Like at a hairdressers for instance or your doctor's office. I hate that.

This past weekend we were at a wine festival and I dressed up retro style and I really wanted to get a picture of me stomping grapes but that meant I hate to relent to having someone else take the picture. Argh. Later on I saw the picture and started crying at the lunch table. I felt so stupid, but it hit me, even at almost 130lbs lost, I am still ****ing huge and disgusting. I am not this smaller girl I thought I was seeing looking all cute in this dress. I looked like a stuffed pig still. Total reverse body dismorphia going on.

Edit to add, here is my retro look from the festival.

Pinup_zps53c68000.jpg
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think your retro look is totally adorable. I agree with everyone here. In my head I'm about half of my reality size. I've lost 22 lbs so far and the only difference I've seen is my rings are loose. WTF? Who wants to lose weight in their fingers? It might take 100 lbs lose for me to be able to see any difference in my body.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely gorgeous bondage. LOL Cynthia you lose weight EVERYWHERE, even your feet go down sizes.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Selfies are a b***h aren't they? The angle makes us feel invincible then someone takes a photo from a different angle and we want to skin them lol. I love your retro look, especially the bangs. Your eyes are beautiful by the way, lovely color. What we have to do is learn to love ourselves as is, what we looked like before, and embrace the changes to come.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I think of myself as this confident, sexy thing, and flaunt it for my husband who also thinks I'm this gorgeous woman. But then when I see a mirror or I see a picture of me, I feel absolutely crushed. And seeing pictures of me next to my husband, who is pretty damn handsome and athletic looking just makes me feel horrible because I'm not living up to the potential and I never realize it until a picture or mirror. Constantly having to "realize" that is horrible. I don't understand it.
  • persistentsoul
    Options
    I look exactly like scarlett johansson in my internal vision of myself , sadly it is not a reality. Then again if i hold on to the confidence that , that is what my inner beauty looks like, i think it does shine through a bit. Confidence is attractive.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Confidence is a huge part of it. My guy makes me feel sexy on a regular basis... I just don't look in mirrors extensively. I know how I **FEEL** and to me that is more important. Eventually that damned mirror image will catch up with the me in my head.

And Heather, you look amazingly cute and gorgeous in your retro look. I'm sure if I'd seen the picture you deemed horrible, I would have seen you for you - not the way you saw it. (HUGS)