Barbell Safety

Options
Leadfoot_Lewis
Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
Good morning ladies! I saw this over on the Starting Strength website. Very good article that everyone here should really take the time and read.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/barbell_safety#.U_s-prd0wiQ

Replies

• bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I lift alone about 50% of the time. Good, solid advice. Thanks for sharing.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, good advise. I always lift alone so this is very helpful!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Awesome, although very sad in the beginning of the article..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    very sad start...wow just wow.

Yes learning to fail is crucial....and poweracks can be made for home if the purchase price is too steep.

Lots of plans online.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I probably would not have thought to leave off the pins if / when I bench press alone. Hopefully it'll never come to this, but just in case, that will be a lifesaver.

For those of you who lift alone, but in a gym with other people around, do you ask folks to spot you?

C.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! It is really so important. I pretty much never have the safety clips on the bar, so that I can bail safely (and also from laziness). Luckily, I have safety rails when I bench press and they have helped me even now when the weights aren't very heavy.

The story in the beginning was really sad :(
  • Nellpop
    Nellpop Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I've just started lifting weights at home, by myself and came in here to find out the safest way to do it..

Can anyone suggest cheap, easy (!) diy rack ideas.....
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Have you checked Pinterest? There are probably some power cage/squat rack building plans in there. Just ignore all the silly workout advice that plagues that site :-)
  • mimi1136
    mimi1136 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for posting, this was a really helpful article. Especially about the COLLARS!~ I always put those on because I thought I needed them for balance but since I never ask anyone to spot me at the gym, this is really critical information. I'm always kind of embarrassed to ask for a spotter. But the other reason is that EVERYONE wears HEADPHONES! Sometimes I have a question about form and trying to find someone who isn't in his own world isn't easy. Oh, and it's almost all HIMS in my gym.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    @mimi my gym is majority dudes too. that happens when you lift where professional power lifters lift...but the gym is also old school. There aren't many collars to begin with so I almost never have them on the barbell. I only like them on deadlifts now just to hold everything still. But I also only increase weights every couple weeks right now so I always feel decently confident when increasing (but can still bail if needed!)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OP:)

I lift alone 95% of the time, and have for over 2 years. Always without collars--except for DLs--and always inside a rack, with the safety rods adjusted for each lift. (Unless I'm using dumbells) I've had to bail on both squats and benches before. It's an unnerving feeling, scary if you aren't prepared for it.

Great information on how to properly spot people, too. That was very helpful.
    Nellpop: Not DIY, but here's the squat rack I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VLRVSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not as pricy as some and it was easy to put together. My daughter and I put it together in a couple of hours. I got the Amazon Prime because it was cheaper than paying for shipping. I think mine was around $420 when I got it. It looks like it has gone down in price. :)