FitBit Freaks out on Motorcycles

Options
I have been using FitBit for over 3 years now, and just recently got a motorcycle to commute to work (1999 Vulcan 750). I noticed that when I ride to and from work, my fitbit goes crazy. One time it showed that I climed 19 floors (I live in the midlands of South Carolina). If I would have climbed that many floors, my legs would have fallen off. It didn't cause any problems with the steps, just the number of floors climbed, which increased the number of active minutes (which I didn't earn honestly, because of the bike). I was wondering if any other FitBit users had experienced this problem riding a motorcycle while wearing a FitBit.

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but I heard it happens. You may be able to correct it by logging your rides in the fitbit activity database. There is an entry for "motorcycle riding" and it will correct the calorie burn and possibly the steps (not sure about the floors).
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but I heard it happens. You may be able to correct it by logging your rides in the fitbit activity database. There is an entry for "motorcycle riding" and it will correct the calorie burn and possibly the steps (not sure about the floors).
    The "fake" steps are not subtracted but the calorie burn gets corrected. (at least that's my experience when I log strength training/bike/driving, I'm scared of motorcycles lol.)
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine goes into sleep mode when I use the pepper grinder!
  • DavidHensley77
    Options
    It's kind of weird, I'm not noticing any great increase in my usual number of steps for the workday. The only thing is that the floor counter is going crazy. One day when I rode to work and back, it registered 20 floors. I don't live in the mountains ( I could halfway understand it then) but it's generally flat here.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    David, my guess is that it might be the air pressure when motorcycling. I've had it credit me with extra floors when I walk outside on a windy day. luckily the floor count doesn't seem to have anything to do with the calorie burn. Though that is small comfort if you are using it as a motivational tool to get yourself to use the stairs more. I wish they would add a way to manually correct the floors, but I am not aware of a method yet.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mine goes into sleep mode when I use the pepper grinder!

Mine goes in and out of sleep mode when I'm pushing a shopping cart!