Day 1 of soft foods

Options
Today I can start eating soft foods. I've been really looking forward to being able to chew my food and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed! I attempted to eat some Mac & Cheese earlier and it just wasn't sitting right with me. Tried a string cheese and that didn't either. Maybe my new pouch doesn't like cheese!?

Replies

• murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been told on the soft food stage that you need to introduce foods again slowly. My plan is to be feeding myself homemade mashes kinda like feeding a baby. I am going to start with mashed vegetables and fruits with unflavored protein powders added for protein, and then add in moist ground meats. Maybe try eating ricotta or cottage cheese?

Hope your journey gets better! :)
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been told on the soft food stage that you need to introduce foods again slowly. My plan is to be feeding myself homemade mashes kinda like feeding a baby. I am going to start with mashed vegetables and fruits with unflavored protein powders added for protein, and then add in moist ground meats. Maybe try eating ricotta or cottage cheese?

Hope your journey gets better! :)

I just finished that stage and I'm not on what my doctor is calling "soft foods" - cheese, soft veggies, eggs, lunch meat, meatloaf, meatballs, tuna/chicken salads, etc. I can't stand the taste of ricotta or cottage cheeses so I've been staying away from those. I've been living off mashed potatoes with added protein for 3 weeks and was looking forward to a little variety!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love roasted root vegetables with a little bit of coconut oil and garlic salt. What about something like bean or lentil soup? Greek yogurt with whole fruit and slivered almonds for crunch? I am pre-op so forgive me if these aren't good idea's for your stage. I am trying to come up with a list for myself for each stage as well to make sure I have lots of options.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Anything high in simple carbs makes me very nauseous. It causes my blood sugar to spike. I had fried okra today, I knew better. It was half a cup. I just had to suffer thru 2 hours of nausea
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I start soft foods on Thursday. Through this, I've learned that what I thought was going to work pre-surgery wasn't an option post-surgery. For example, mashing up vegetables with added protein powder only works if it doesn't make you hurl.

I am looking forward to adding eggs, crock-pot cooked chicken recipes, turkey meatballs, tilapia, salmon, baked tofu, etc. I think pasta would be hard to get down. If you want mac and cheese, maybe try cauliflower in place of the pasta; that might go down a little easier. Let me know if you want some recipes.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with any sort of pasta for a long time. If it is not overcooked it sort of swells in my sleeve and makes me feel ill. Cottage cheese of any flavour worked, mashed potato with cheese, herbs, weirdly pate swirled in was really good! Any meat really minced was fine so chilli....peeps on here reccomend refried beans??? I also struggled with eggs unless they were scrambled with lots of milk and cheese.

Oh and thicker soups and chowders were good.
    It takes a while to get used to each stage and how it makes your stomach feel. I soooooooo struggled with meat but now it is fine.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I started soft foods I did mostly canned chicken and avocado for about a week. It takes time for the pouch to adjust.
  • clcesari
    clcesari Posts: 56
    Options
    I am doing well with mosit proteins. My pouch loves tuna, bbq shredded pork, shredded chicken. I made low carb meatballs the other day and they went down like BUTTA. Hope you are finding good foods twin!
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    I am doing well with mosit proteins. My pouch loves tuna, bbq shredded pork, shredded chicken. I made low carb meatballs the other day and they went down like BUTTA. Hope you are finding good foods twin!

I was craving meatballs until I hit this stage....now I dread eating food at all. It takes me forever to eat and I'm definitely not getting in enough fluids. I've been able to eat eggs and I made a bit of chicken salad as bland as can be but that's been about it with foods I can chew. Thinking of staying in the puree stage as much as I hated that!
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll have to try out some more things to see what I can "stomach"
  • msmarisa21
    msmarisa21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i also just started on soft foods. So far I have done really well with fish and beans. I have heard that some people do well with egg beaters. My surgeon suggested Wendy's chili during this phase because it has both meat and beans in a small portion size. I was a little surprised he would suggest fast food, but said many of his patients do well with the chili.
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    I'll have to try that. Wendy's chili is one of my favorites
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili is great! Most towns have one and it can save your bacon if you didnt plan well on a trip