Hip Joint Problem when dead lifting

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
So, I have a weird problem and this is where I've got answers before for weird things.

The background. I sprained an ankle this summer, quite badly. Ended up taking 3 weeks off lifting and was limping for nearly six weeks. It is still not right.

That isn't the problem though. With the limping, I started having lower back, knee, and hip pain.

The lower back and knee pain went away as my gait returned to something approaching normal.

The hip pain pretty much went away but comes back strongly when I deadlift. I even lowered my weight to 220 pounds and with every lift, feels, for lack of a better description, like the joint is going to pop out of its socket as I move it up.

I've tried wider stances (much, much worse), narrower stances (not quite as bad, but still very painful).

Squatting doesn't bother it, obviously OHP and BP don't bother it, and even rows, as much as I hate them, aren't a problem.

So, anyone have any ideas what I might have done to myself? Have a similar thing at some point?

Should I try lowering my DL weight more and doing more reps? Try subbing in a different lift for a while?

I am thinking a chiropractor might help, but I can't afford it right now, but that is definitely in my future.

Any guidance you might be able to toss my way would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am going through this same issue and have stopped deadlifting due to my ankle sprain (4th time in 17 years).
    I believe a lot of my troubles came from over compensating and that all just leads to malalignment.
    Working with my chiro, she has corrected my posture again and helped me get more support for my ankle.
    She will get me a proper brace and has instructed me to keep lower body lifts to a mininum.
    I can only do arms right now (preacher's, lats, tricep ext etc...) but we have a plan for getting me back to deads in about 4 weeks.

I think the best way to overcome is taking it easy, de-loading for a bit, stretching a whole lot (Pigeon stretch is lovely), using ice packs on affected area and seeing that chiro as soon as possible.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar issue. Front to back movements aren't terrible, but any sort of side to side motion or deep squat really aggravates it. Kicking at kickboxing doesn't seem to bother it, but things requiring that deep squat- squats, deadlifts, rows, are just awful right now.

Pigeon pose at yoga has me nearly in tears, it is so painful on that one hip!

I am heading back to continue my upper body work, but am laying low on the squat moves for another few weeks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i had this thing for a while - pre-lifting - which my gp finally diagnosed for me as a slightly rotated pelvis. no prior injuries but i apparently have one leg longer than the other, which is enough to mess with your gait. forgot to ask them which one so i've never done anything about it.

anyway, it gave me low-back stuff and a kind of low-grade sense of tension/torsion in my spine, and i do remember clearly that i didn't trust myself to put all my weight on that leg. it wasn't even especially painful, but i just had a feeling of weakness and instability in the hip. prop myself on a wall to take my socks off, type thing. she had me do very slow-motion lunges with a kind of hip-drive effect while coming up, and it helped an amazing amount.

i never tried deadlifting on it, since i didn't know from a barbell back then. but for what it's worth.
  • glwerth
    Options
    Can you post a video?

I'll try to record next time I try deads. Right now, my hip hurts too much to even try.
  • glwerth
    Options
    I am going through this same issue and have stopped deadlifting due to my ankle sprain (4th time in 17 years).
    I believe a lot of my troubles came from over compensating and that all just leads to malalignment.
    Working with my chiro, she has corrected my posture again and helped me get more support for my ankle.
    She will get me a proper brace and has instructed me to keep lower body lifts to a mininum.
    I can only do arms right now (preacher's, lats, tricep ext etc...) but we have a plan for getting me back to deads in about 4 weeks.

I think the best way to overcome is taking it easy, de-loading for a bit, stretching a whole lot (Pigeon stretch is lovely), using ice packs on affected area and seeing that chiro as soon as possible.

I have a trick ankle that I managed to screw up every couple of years. Sounds like your situation and mine are very similar.

Pigeon is doable for me, but boy howdy, sitting cross legged hurts like heck, and I've been working on stretching, but I can't seem to get the right area, you know? Ice packs, I can do and I think we'll be able to afford the copay on the chiro next month (Sept, which is almost here.

Thanks for the info...it's good to know that this isn't too terribly unusual!
  • glwerth
    Options
    I am having a similar issue. Front to back movements aren't terrible, but any sort of side to side motion or deep squat really aggravates it. Kicking at kickboxing doesn't seem to bother it, but things requiring that deep squat- squats, deadlifts, rows, are just awful right now.

Pigeon pose at yoga has me nearly in tears, it is so painful on that one hip!

I am heading back to continue my upper body work, but am laying low on the squat moves for another few weeks.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, but yeah, it hurts and it is scary, because when I did that second dead lift today, I thought my hip was going to collapse. I'm afraid to do any lateral movements because it also feels like it will collapse.

I also always have to lead with the other side going up stairs, because it hurts so much to lift from that side alone.

Hope both of us are better soon!
  • glwerth
    Options
    i had this thing for a while - pre-lifting - which my gp finally diagnosed for me as a slightly rotated pelvis. no prior injuries but i apparently have one leg longer than the other, which is enough to mess with your gait. forgot to ask them which one so i've never done anything about it.

anyway, it gave me low-back stuff and a kind of low-grade sense of tension/torsion in my spine, and i do remember clearly that i didn't trust myself to put all my weight on that leg. it wasn't even especially painful, but i just had a feeling of weakness and instability in the hip. prop myself on a wall to take my socks off, type thing. she had me do very slow-motion lunges with a kind of hip-drive effect while coming up, and it helped an amazing amount.

i never tried deadlifting on it, since i didn't know from a barbell back then. but for what it's worth.

Rotated Pelvis....I always carry my bag (and kid) on the same side and long ago, when I was in college, the chiro I saw mentioned the rotated pelvis.

Yeah, got to get myself to the chiro ASAP and get this squared away. Will also look up the lunge with hip drive (isn't it amazing what one can find on the internet?) and see if that helps.

Thanks so much for responding!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm also just going to say, if there's any doubt at all about the joint itself being compromised, such as osteoarthritis - and if your medical situation can cover it - get an x-ray. you really really really really don't want a hip that's actually damaged. just don't.

not to minimize what you're stuck with right now. but i fell hard on a hip joint one winter (bike, black ice) and just jamming the joint inside the capsule like that made it so even touching my toe to the ground on that side brought my entire body out in an instant cold sweat for four days or so. it was insanely painful.

@glwerth . . . how could i forget the kid-on-the-hip? mine's bigger than me now and fully grown up, but i think the muscle habits i learned in those days never did go away. i think there are some useful things on youtube about the rotated pelvis. i know that i would have taken it to my chiro if i hadn't been in a no-money mode, but the stretches my gp showed me actually made it unnecessary after a couple of weeks.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was posting on my phone earlier. Typically squats are much harder on your hips than deadlifts unless you squat with a very narrow stance, and even then it's probably a toss up. Do you sumo deadlift? What part of the movement is causing you issues, or is the whole movement?
  • mimi1136
    mimi1136 Posts: 12
    Options
    My hips are typically very tight and although deadlifts haven't been an issue, I really have to watch it with glutes. I recently added fencing to my weight training and you can be sure that those one-legged lunges work every leg muscle but especially the hip. My chiro has insisted I use the foam roller before and after work outs. She even thinks I should use it when watching tv for example. I have found it helps the tightness in the hips and the glute area. Have you tried it? Anyone else? I think it's a possible save until you get to your chiro.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My hips are typically very tight and although deadlifts haven't been an issue, I really have to watch it with glutes. I recently added fencing to my weight training and you can be sure that those one-legged lunges work every leg muscle but especially the hip. My chiro has insisted I use the foam roller before and after work outs. She even thinks I should use it when watching tv for example. I have found it helps the tightness in the hips and the glute area. Have you tried it? Anyone else? I think it's a possible save until you get to your chiro.

I had hip problems since my last pregnancy and the roller really helps it get better. Is it totally gone? Of course not but ALOT better so it's worth a try.
  • glwerth
    Options
    Sorry I was posting on my phone earlier. Typically squats are much harder on your hips than deadlifts unless you squat with a very narrow stance, and even then it's probably a toss up. Do you sumo deadlift? What part of the movement is causing you issues, or is the whole movement?

When it really bothers me it at the top of the dead lift when I'm holding the weight. It just feels really...unstable and there is a sharp stabbing pain in the joint. Going up, no issue, just that moment at the top and then, after that, the whole movement hurts for the next one.

I do a regular dead lift, as shown in the videos online, squatting down and then moving up.
  • glwerth
    Options
    i'm also just going to say, if there's any doubt at all about the joint itself being compromised, such as osteoarthritis - and if your medical situation can cover it - get an x-ray. you really really really really don't want a hip that's actually damaged. just don't.

not to minimize what you're stuck with right now. but i fell hard on a hip joint one winter (bike, black ice) and just jamming the joint inside the capsule like that made it so even touching my toe to the ground on that side brought my entire body out in an instant cold sweat for four days or so. it was insanely painful.

@glwerth . . . how could i forget the kid-on-the-hip? mine's bigger than me now and fully grown up, but i think the muscle habits i learned in those days never did go away. i think there are some useful things on youtube about the rotated pelvis. i know that i would have taken it to my chiro if i hadn't been in a no-money mode, but the stretches my gp showed me actually made it unnecessary after a couple of weeks.

We're in no-money mode right now. You know when you trip on a sidewalk and then you stumble for several steps trying to get your balance before you fall on your face? That's where we are right now, in that stumbling phase after a setback several months ago. So, no chiro yet, but my regular doctor has a very small co-pay, so I CAN go and have them check it out. After we get back from Camping, I think.

Mine is 5 and sometimes I still end up carrying him every so often, but he's small, only about 60 pounds. Before I started lifting he seemed terribly heavy, but now 60 pounds is nothing!

Been checking out rotated pelvis videos and they seems to help a bit. This might also explain the low back pain while I'm walking any distance. Watching the videos also tells me that the reason I had a lot less pain when I was doing yoga regularly was that it probably corrected that. Must add that back into my routine as well.

Thanks so much
  • glwerth
    Options

I had hip problems since my last pregnancy and the roller really helps it get better. Is it totally gone? Of course not but ALOT better so it's worth a try.

I have a roller, but no idea how to use it...off to youtube I go!