Other gyms

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have another gym membership on top of crossfit? Do any of you do any other lifting programs other than crossfit (strong lifts or NROL4L)? I've kicking around getting a regular gym membership so I can work out on my lunch too.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My Crossfit gym is part of a regular gym so I get the best of both worlds. We have a large area just for us but I can use the cardio and lifting areas whenever I want.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've done Stronglifts at my box. There are usually a few people around (if there's room) doing their own thing during classes.

I can't always get there, though. I'm looking into getting my own equipment so I can continue SL at home in addition to CrossFit.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i did for the first month but wasn't really getting my money's worth so i just go to open gym at the box when I want to lift on my own. I sweat too much to be able to workout at lunch but I know a couple of people at my box who do.

I don't follow a set program but I'm training for a strength competition so I try to do a strength or technique focused workout 3x/ week. Typically either after a WOD I may do Oly technique and on days off of WODS I'll do more strength. I"m mostly just hitting the 5 lifts that will be in my competition (Snatch, C&J, back squat, bench press, DL) and I try to do each one at least once every 2 weeks.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    My Y family membership is $95 / month. Most X-fit gyms are another $100+ / month. There's no way I'd add x-fit to my regular Y membership.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do. I do yoga and lifting at my gym. I mostly do Wendler 5/3/1. I can't practice Oly lifting at any of the gyms in my town because you can't drop weights, so there's no way I'd give up Crossfit. I pay $95 per month for Xfit and $55 at my regular gym (I live in an isolated town w/o corporate brand gyms). I don't mind spending the $$ at all. I don't have cable, car payments, etc. and I feel it's money on something I enjoy. I can't always go to CF because it's across town and I work nights so their classes don't always work with my schedule. That being said, I was never this fit when I was just utilizing my regular gym and I've made lots of new friends, so I'll keep both. I did pole dancing before CF and that was $80 per month for lessons so another $15 instead didn't really increase my overall monthly budget. There's no open gym times in the middle of the afternoon at my box, and that's when I can lift.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a regular gym as well as I go swimming and to a group exercise class with friends. It's a little costly but I get the best of both worlds this way and I'd rather cut something else out my life.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    My job has a gym that's $10 a month, and I keep it for the occasional workout day, and zumba tuesdays!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've got a gym at work that I can use for free, and it's actually good decent equipment. Having used a lot of hotel gym facilities recently having a decent barbell and rack is rare.

But I don't really use it.

Aside from CrossFit I cycle and I'd much rather do that outdoors. Also really don't like the unsociable culture in regular gyms.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have an additional family memberhsip at the local YMCA ($75 / month). They have several classes (yoga, spin, etc.) that I participate in. They also have an indoor pool and track which is great when the cold & snow arrives. I will use the weight room for general strength training and conditoning. It allows for a nice variety of acitivities, especially during the winter months.

*The "Y" also nice for "lunch-time" workouts, since my time is more limited, I can go and be back in an hour. CrossFit is done mostly in the evenings, but I will occasionally sneak in one for lunch :-)
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Along with crossfit, I also do Krav Maga.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like to do some accessory work at the gym I work at such as some dumbbell and cable work for my recovering shoulder. I teach spin class too so I like to cycle on off days.