Glucose Sensor and Infusion Set in One

Options
carolinatx
carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
Have you seen this yet!!?? :)

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-information-articles/diabetes-basics/1018-new-medtronic-device-launched-glucose-sensor-and-infusion-set-in-one?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=New+Medtronic+Device+Launched

I've always heard that they had to be 6" apart to not falsely affect the CGM readings so I'm wondering what new things they did to get around that. Happy to see one kick it off, hoping others follow - like Omnipod because I'm not going back to being tube connected again.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've seen that. I've also seen the contacts that are in development that are CGM sensors. I don't wear contacts, though.

I also wondered about the distance, though I've always thought 1 inch was enough. Maybe that was just something they said, though.

I've also heard there is a device in development that contains insulin, glucagon, and a CGM... the device would automatically dispense insulin or glucagon based on CGM readings. That has a long ways to go with current CGM technology, and then users would need to figure out glucagon settings and such. Of course, then one would want to suggest adding amylin. It might be even better if there were something that could sense presence of GIP and GLP-1 to dispense amylin automatically... just like a normal pancreas with intact beta cells. Still, I know some of us have had some pretty serious side effects from amylin (Symlin) and will approach such a device cautiously if developed.

Ultimately, though, I get a bit upset when I see things like this combined sensor and infusion set. I don't mind poking myself for better technology and better results. I currently poke myself twice (CGM and infusion set), and of course for glucose readings. I would prefer that research be put into something that yields better results before worrying about fewer pokes. I know some will disagree with me on this, but I want to prolong my life more than I want to cut out 1 needle every few days.
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely understand where you're coming from with that. For me, I am worried about scar tissue from all the 'insertions' required for the pumps as long as I've been wearing them and the rest of my life (presuming a cure is not found :)) and to basically double that worries me because I was having a problem with site sensitivity and had to increase the number of spots I used for my pods - which has worked and I've found some very creative spots ;) It's just a flesh real estate issue IMO :) And for some, who don't have a CGM as part of their pump manufacturer, it requires another device to see the CGM data, so 1 more thing to carry around/lose
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm currently pumping with a tslim and using a dexcom G4. I get 2-3 weeks of useful information/life from a single G4 sensor, and need to change my infusion sites about every 4 days. Why would I want to have to change out Both at the same time?

The Medtronic CGM by report does not settle down for a day or two and then it would need changed! Just another way to suck our wallets dry! For me there is no justification other than greed to do this kind of combination, since the current quality of Medtronic CGM tech is already way behind what dexcom can do, what sucker would buy it?
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with 2hobbit. Why one earth would I want to change the CGM and my insulin infusion set at the same time? My CGM lasts 3 weeks (Medtronic elite) and my sensors only last 3 days. Like Carolina I am also having trouble with infusion sites. I rotate them all the time but for whatever reason I always start to run high at the end of day two instead of after the full 3 days. I also have lots of scars and bumps from insertions and I can't figure any way to not end up with a bump and scar. I have been pumping for something like 12 or 13 years.

I do like that they are researching and making progress with new products. I also like that other pump manufacturers are doing other things so we have more choices. I have been with Medtronic the entire time I have been pumping but I am really excited about the other models now on the market and will consider changing in Nov. when I am eligible for a new pump.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Okulyd Re pump bumps - do you use auto sets or manual sets? Auto sets give me bumps where manual sets do not. Have read that the harder impact of an auto set starts a tissue injury reaction that causes the absorption drop off and scaring. Manual insertion is slower and more controlled and does not seem to trigger as much of a reaction. At least that seems to be true for me.

I'm also very meticulous with my site prep before insertion. I use a chlorhexadine scrub on both the site I just pulled and where the new one will go. Still alcohol wipe the site before insertion and use neosporin on the old site for a few days. If I forget the scrub or neosporin for the old site I tend to take longer to heal.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hobbit! I always use the auto sets. I am such a wimp that the one time I forgot my serter I was in tears with my husband staring at me in dismay because he couldn't help me. Eventually I got it done but have never wanted to repeat that moment.. However I am sure I can get over this fear and start doing it manually if it helps with the bumps.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to have extras handy. I tend to have crimped cannulas when I insert manually, and scar tissue tends to squeeze the cannula faster once it is in, which results in no delivery.