Probiotics?

Options
Symphony2010
Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
Any gastric bypass patients out there using probiotics? I heard u can lose more weight if u do. Is it true?

Replies

• Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Interested to find out myself. I am 10 months post op and pooping doesn't happen regularly. If probiotics help with that and increase weight loss...that would be AWESOME.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm very doubtful they could help with weight loss. There is no miracle pill. They best thing we can all do to lose more is weigh and log everything we eat, stick to the plan, and increase our activity. That's the only miracle we can expect.

But I would love to know if probiotics could help me poop better. That I could use.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Pre-bypass surgery I took probiotics when i had the opposite of not pooping problem due to extreme stress and clinical depression. They worked amazingly well. i bought at vitamin store, not drugstore and they were not cheap. When i was trying to be frugal I'd switch to drugstore or increase my yogurt consumption but did not get the same results. Gut bacteria is so important to digestion and well, everything really. And so much can mess up the balance in there.

a doctor once explained to me that not nearly enough research is done in this field and what is done, is not specific to women. But the phrase 'gut feeling" is based more in medicine that western society cares to believe. He said often the first symptom his patients will come to realize about a chronic health issue is that their stomach or digestive system was off.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months post-op and I've been taking probiotics since before surgery. I now take a chewable one. My "schedule" is pretty regular :)

And it's not made to help you lose weight faster, nor does it actually do that. Just makes everything run better :)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what brand of chewable probiotic you use? I could always use more regularity.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started taking one a few weeks ago (six months out) and it seems like my weight loss has picked up a tad. Reguardless, I am a big believer in them for overall health. My digestion functions better and I believe they help fight sickness. The only downside is they are a little expensive.
  • kbear621
    kbear621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months post op and have been taking a chewable probiotic as a part of my daily vitamin routine and have been regular since a week after surgery. I use the Bariatric Advantage brand that i order with all the rest of my vitamins.
  • ginthebombshellks
    Options
    My surgeon offers a bariatric friendly multi vitamin with probiotics added. He requires his patients be on the vitamins a month before surgery and six months after surgery. I will say I haven't had any problems with dumping syndrome and the constipation issues that I have read about. You can buy it from my surgeon for $25? A bottle of 60 pills. Just Google KC Bariatric, my surgeon us Dr. Hoehn.