Taste buds changing

Options
maradot
maradot Posts: 95 Member
Has anyone else noticed that food tastes differently to them after changing to an unprocessed vegan foods diet. I notice I am wanting raw food, and that I just do not get cravings. Its wild. Its freedom. Wow!

Replies

• Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Since making the full switch to vegan, I can taste flavors much more intensely now. Vegetables and grains, especially. I am totally happy to eat a dish that contains just quinoa, some steamed vegetables, and just a dash of some standard spices (oregano, pepper, etc.). No need to add cheese or oils or dressings, the pure taste of veggie is enough! I have talked to another vegan about this recently, and we agreed- its like we had to get all of the bad stuff out of our bodies to truly experience the awesomeness of natural flavors!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I never crave salt any more. Things actually taste TOO salty to me now, if it is something I did not make on my own. It is amazing what your body can accomplish.
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Same. I do not get cheese cravings anymore and in fact slipped and had some cheddar and had to spit it out it was so gross. i also grave vegetables like brussel sprouts and broccoli. yum!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    No, I have been vegan for 43 years and STILL crave steak, roast beef, Kraft mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, cheeseburgers, French toast, brown & serve rolls, white bread and butter, twinkies, cupcakes, sno-balls, suzy Qs, Tastykakes, Little Debbies, honey buns, chocolate malted milk, milk shakes, pancakes, pork BBQ, ham & cheese on white, bologna & cheese on white, liverwurst & cheese on white, liver, Boston cream pie, vanilla pudding, angel food cake, whipped cream. strawberry shortcake, eggnog, hot dogs, Kraft mayonnaise, Velveeta, American cheese, cottage cheese, Cheez Whiz...no, my tastes haven't changed at all! But I never give in to the cravings, because I am an ethical vegan.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I was craving blueberries and strawberries the other day with the all the intensity I used to crave cookies with. Sadly the blueberries and strawberries were out of my budget that day, the cookies would not have been. America needs to take a close look at its subsidies and do some serious shifting around.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Meat and dairy look and seem so greasy and repulsive to me now.
    I find I am more sensitive to the variety of tastes of vegies and grains that I mostly live on. Fresh herbs are sensational!
    I feel like my palete is more discerning now.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Totally. Gone are the days where I craved french fries and pizza. Even the smell of such things almost nauseates me. Even on plant based my taste buds continue to change. I think it's more about adaptability and availability.

I do find eating raw is overall more efficient to the body’s need to run efficiently (in my case as a long distance runner/cyclist). I do occasionally eat things like organic cereals and granola, but I find these foods are dense calories that I prefer to only eat if I have burned an excessive of calories. I pretty much eat unlimited fruit as snacks and with meals—a solid smoothie with protein and a well rounded salad. I cater this to my training and it runs between 1800-3000 calories depending on how active I am.

But the short answer to your question is I don't expect I will be eating the same thing this time next year, my taste buds are always changing. Luckily with fruit, I eat whatever is abundant in season and it gives me a good variety year-round.