Is 24 burpees in 1 min good?

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
The Y has this weeks fitness challenge as burpees in 1 min. I did this after my light chest day but that wasn't the problem. I was getting gassed the hell out. Haha

Replies

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What are you measuring against?

Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, as long as you are progressing.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    It's a gym challenge. I have no idea what my progression is as that's my 1st time doing them for time
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. Going at my fastest "I can do this pace for two minutes" rate I can get about 20 per minute. How strict are they on form? Because ideally you should reach up and jump at the end of each rep, but when speed is the goal most people cheat and don't straighten their hips.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I average 10 a minute based on a 7 to 10 min WOD so I think 24 a minute is pretty good if you can sustain it (which I certainly couldn't). Agree that each burpee should be good form with full extension at each jump.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Agreed! When I do 100 burpees (usually as an at-home workout if I can't gym that day), it's usually at around a 9-10 minute pace. But if I had to sprint them, I could probably do 18-20 in a minute, with full extension/jumping. Usually should jump 6 inches off the ground.

Though we don't usually have to extend if we do over-the-bar burpees...
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I can do 100 burpees in 8:09 and 50 burpees in 3:57. So 24 in a minute is awesome in my book.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can barely do 10
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Agreed! When I do 100 burpees (usually as an at-home workout if I can't gym that day), it's usually at around a 9-10 minute pace. But if I had to sprint them, I could probably do 18-20 in a minute, with full extension/jumping. Usually should jump 6 inches off the ground.

Though we don't usually have to extend if we do over-the-bar burpees...

When did 100 for time the first time (maybe a week into Crossfit) it took me 22 minutes. About three months ago it took 14 minutes. Going to give it a try in another month or so hoping to break 10.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I took a peek at the standings and someone did 33! That's 1 every 2 seconds (actually a tad faster than that)
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I jinxed myself apparently because we just got programmed a 7 minutes of burpee fun yesterday. ;-) I beat my usual pace and did 85 in 7 minutes. Improvement! yay! One dude in our class did about 120 in that 7 minutes.

Show off.
  • kaaaaylee
    Options
    I can barely do 10

/\ same.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I jinxed myself apparently because we just got programmed a 7 minutes of burpee fun yesterday. ;-) I beat my usual pace and did 85 in 7 minutes. Improvement! yay! One dude in our class did about 120 in that 7 minutes.

Show off.

We just did a WOD that was:
    100 burpees
    every 2 min time (2:00, 4:00,6:00...) do 10 95# thrusters

I counted 28 burpees in my first minute, 19 in my second minute which is the only full 2 min time, due to completing 10 thrusters.
    My total time in completing the burpees was 7:33 with 30 thrusters thrown in the mix.

grueling workout and fun!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    What are you measuring against?

Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, as long as you are progressing.

+1
    this.

see how you're improving. don't worry about the other guy.

think Yoda:
    about the other guy worry not.
    to faux competition worry leads.
    to one upping faux competition leads.
    to bad form one-upping causes.
    injury the cause of one-upping is.

if you're improving, that's awesome!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes. Good rep max for a minute. 8 months ago mine was 22. I should re test it. Good job!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at the standings and someone did 33! That's 1 every 2 seconds (actually a tad faster than that)

I can almost guarantee he didn't do them to crossfit standards. That's what games level athletes do. A lot of people consider a burpee just going down as far as a plank or top of pushup position, that's probably what he did if this was at the Y

Then again maybe he's a beast. Still, 24 is great, more than what most people can do