Clip-less!

Options
Fit_French
Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
I finally made the plunge and went clip-less! I picked up some Scott Boas and finally got my pedals put on. Definitely a different feeling. But could some pray tell why they are called "clip-less" when your actually clipping into them vs a toe cage or regular pedals?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Because the old style option with the leather straps were actually called toe clips not a toe cage. Hence no toe clips = clip less pedals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Because the old style option with the leather straps were actually called toe clips not a toe cage. Hence no toe clips = clip less pedals.

^^ yeah, that.

toe clips look like this:
    19097.jpg

or like this without the straps (less common)
    1257941674898-1tnmzoqhwu8r-399-75.jpg

your pedals do not have that, so they are referred to as clipless.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I hate that term too. I get it but I hate it.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Inflammable and Flammable is another annoying one!
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Irregardless, you clip in to your pedals that have no clips.

See what I did there?
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Irregardless, you clip in to your pedals that have no clips.

See what I did there?

Now that was priceless.
  • Fit_French
    Options
    Low and behold though.....my shoes give me numb toes....any thoughts?
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Yep - don't tighten the bottom straps up so tight - leave your toes room to wiggle a bit - and make a point of doing so every 10-15 minutes into the ride...

Thats assuming that they are "split tensioned" of course - with one tensioner for the upper foot, and another (or velcro straps) for the bit over the toes...
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Yep - don't tighten the bottom straps up so tight - leave your toes room to wiggle a bit - and make a point of doing so every 10-15 minutes into the ride...

Thats assuming that they are "split tensioned" of course - with one tensioner for the upper foot, and another (or velcro straps) for the bit over the toes...

You can also try playing with cleat placement and possibly the foot beds (depending on shoe). I wear Bontrager shoes that have a heat mold-able foot bed. I tend to supinate and get the same numbness in my outside two toes when running. Was getting same thing on my bike to until I switched to these Bontrager shoes and had the bike shop fit me and place the cleats.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Agreed with both previous replys...

1) don't over tighten your shoes - keep them a little on the loose side, at least until they are broken in a little and you are used to wearing them.

2) if that doesn't work (and give it a couple of rides), try moving the cleat placement forward or back. Unless you are looking for elite level performance, cleat placement can really be a matter of personal preference.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I read that it happens because you a putting pressure on the same nerves in the bottom of the foot, and when tight you are pinching the nerves as well. So, like others said, loosening the lower latch helps. Also, when I started working on pulling up on the back stroke the pain and numbness went away. Pedal in circles instead of up and down. That moves the foot a bit.

Also, because you are clipped in, some say get a shoe a little big to allow the foot to move around just a bit.
  • Fit_French
    Options
    Moving my cleats back solved my problem! It wasn't the snugness of my shoes, it was too much pressure being put on the front of the ball of my foot, now the cleats are centered on the balls of my feet and feel much better!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Moving my cleats back solved my problem! It wasn't the snugness of my shoes, it was too much pressure being put on the front of the ball of my foot, now the cleats are centered on the balls of my feet and feel much better!

Excellent :-)