Plantar Fasciitis

Options
bregrig
bregrig Posts: 154 Member
Sorry for all of the questions... but I have developed some PF in both feet over the past two weeks and was wondering what in your opinion are definite exercises to avoid in Crossfit. I am guessing running and any jumping but would lifts like squats and deads and cleans be ok to not make it any worse? My right heel is more painful than my left and I could push through running and jumping but just don't want to make it worse. Thanks!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you try to push through, you WILL make it worse. This is one of those injuries that requires physical therapy and rest, unfortunately. I'd say anything except maybe handstand (except you'd be landing on your feet) or maybe some seated weightlifting should be avoided for a few weeks. I've had friends who ignored the soreness and ended up tearing it. Surgery. Six months on the shelf. Better to rest for a few weeks then ease back into workouts.

WebMD has a decent writeup on what to do.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-treatment-overview

If you have health insurance go see a doctor and get some PT.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. But CF actually helped by PF. My awesome coaches taught me how to mobilize. My PF was due to tight calf muscles, and during a flare up I lacrosse ball roll the crap out of the bottom of my feet. Good luck but my advice talk to your coaches.
  • marykellymires
    marykellymires Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Massage it with a lacrosse or golf ball. It will hurt like a ***** but it works!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis for years, from playing soccer -- ie, lots of cutting and sprinting.
    I am not recommending anything, but . . . . I have found that running and jumping are much worse for my feet than lifting.
    Get supportive insoles, preferably Superfeet insoles, and put them in every pair of your athletic shoes. (I even had to put them in my regular shoes for a while.) They are available at any decent running shoe store.
    Do the stretch described in this following, linked handout at least twice a day. It really works like a charm because it produces a better stretch than any other, because the toes are flexed back too. The doctor who developed it -- he developed it for people with chronic plantar fasciitis. I get the same stretch, but easier, by kneeling down in a Hero Pose (yoga), but with my toes flat on the floor and the sole of my feet facing the back wall.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned above I've only had it once, and maybe I am too caught up in the minimalist shoe movement, but I feel like our feet were built to be barefoot so orthotics to me seem like the last thing I'd try.

But that's just me.
  • bonz1481
    bonz1481 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have gone through this as well. 1. Physical Therapy. Must. This will help you to stay active through treatment. And they can help you to learn exercises that will help you to heal faster and prevent further problems down the road. And, honestly, if it hurts...you're probably using other parts of your body in a strange way to compensate (I created some hip issues for myself by not wanting to stand on the "ouchy" parts). 2. Lacrosse ball. I've got one under my desk right now. Conference call + foot rolling :)
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with no orthotics because then you become reliant on them. I have PF on my right foot since December thanks to running. However, my gym advocates strengthening the foot instead of relying on inserts. I've found that splaying my toes and having my toes be free works wonders for the PF. Anything that constricts my toes causes my PF to cry out.

Sometimes I sleep with a compression sock/sleeve on my foot at night and that helps too. Wrapping your foot with Rocktape or Mueller tape helps to support your arch when PF is really acting up. The Lacrosse ball is a must! It helps tremendously.

I say that as long as you properly warm up your calves before your workout you should be able to get thru it. After the workout pamper your feet by setting them free from shoes and rolling them with the Lacrosse ball.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is sooooo helpful thank you. My calves have always been tight (previous die-hard runner that never stretched) and foam rolling them before and after working out, though more painful than my IT band, helps tremendously. I have been using a ball to roll out my entire plantar fascia and it is super tender in both feet. is this normal? is it supposed to have that 'good hurt' kind of feel?