August Challenge plus some Sept. Sat Aug 30 to Friday Sept 5

Options
beerbikegirl
beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
What the heck. I'll start a new weeks thread.

Happy Saturday. From Chicagos to Moms yesterday. Mom still lives in my childhood home halfway between Chicago & Milwaukee. Took her shopping for a new recliner than to dinner. Between wandering the city and wandering the mall a decent step day. Topped off with another bit excessive dinner. At a hibachi place. Limited amt of fried rice I ate but ate a huge protein load plus veggies. Definitely in "I'll get strict / tighten up *post* holiday" mode.

Heron - we have that fitbit Aria scale so yes I knew a range of body fat. But it varies in a nearly ten point range for me day to day depending on hydration & I suspect inflammation. The dexa reading was nearly the center if the range. So I shouldn't have been surprised by the reading. And really wasn't. It just made it much much more real. Plus I like knowing the distribution. Again nothing I couldn't already tell from the mirror but in a more format more relevant to my analytical mind.

Replies

• carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim! Happy Saturday! What a fun time that sounds like with you Momma. :)
    I'm fascinated by your dexa info. I'd love to know more. I bet it gives you more determination if nothing else. I love hacking. But I've been advised to take ANOTHER week from tracking anything.
    I'm dying with my new work load and the Masters and the kids' stuff and everything. Going to really try to check-out mentally today and tomorrow. Off to the beach!
    I love the "don't track - just try to eat sensibly" approach. I am learning to trust myself to do that. It isn't going to get weight off but if it helps me maintain, we should be ready to get back on it in a few weeks. I'm just SO burned out and I've been sick and (insert more excuses here).
    So we are down to the last few days! Hope you guys are ready to record!!

Carol
  • carolssalva
    Options
    "Carol when is the race in Florida? I do not run/jog at all any more. So not sure about a tough mudder but my bucket list is to do Warrior dash every five years from age 60-90. That starts this coming year so looking at the options. My 16 mile Carry the Fallen Ruck walk has been moved to Sep 27th So plenty of time if any of you want to come to Savannah. I've got plenty of room at my house so trans would be your only cost. "

Oops! Sorry John
    I will ask Lisa when the run is. I am pretty sure it is the Saturday Nov 8th.

What a great offer for folks to join you on Sept 27th in Savannah! Who is going to join this awesome guy????
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Not sure which one we're using so here is post from the other thread
    Well Workout went great New 1RM for dead lift 295 a 20% increase in 90 days, Incline Press 1RM 105 a 60% increase. Did Karen (14lb wall ball to 10ft line from a squat and return on catch) 150 reps in 18:43. That set my baseline for that one. Arms are a little tight at the moment but the burn is gone so great time with Son Dan.

Some food fpr thought here. For weight loss / gain should we consider the natural rhythms when we set out goals? Consider the paleolithic model. This time of year late summer food is in abundance, veggies/ fruits are starting to peak (though many veg's have been available since probably April) Game is sticking close to water sources because of the heat so hunting is less of a strain, You're body starts to accumulate some fat. Chief starts prep for southward mobility. Fall rolls in and by late November Fruit (sugar) has peaked veggies have peaked and game is at its fatest. Things are so abundant you take a day to feast and honor the spirits for such good fortune, (more fat accumulates and you start walking south faster a bit further each day) Winter solstice comes and once again feast on the last of the southern harvest finish what ever you can still find. Time to hunker down since the big game is going into hibernation. Winter rolls in and food and game is scarce by mid season you are in starvational ketosis and you are burning fat to survive (drop maybe 15% of your body weight by mid Feb) Spring equinox comes and things are really tough, you've now lost 30% of your body weight, but signs of warmer weather are creeping in and you look to the migration North but got to get some strength back before the trip. You gather what you can and make a small feast and pray to the spirits for good weather and hunting in the coming year. Mid spring You've managed to catch some of the bigger game coming out of hibernation and you are strong enough to move all day again early veggies in the southern climes like cabbage and onions are abundant so you start walking the harvest north more and more appear as the weather warms and buy Summer solstice you are now at your peak of strength and lean without being in starvation mud July you are back farthest North. So when we set our goals should we not consider this circadian sort of rhythm in our goals? Just wondering what you all think on that one..

BTW thanks for the shout out on the PODcast Carol. Got to get a Webcam this weekend.

Kim - Dexa interest me as well do you get the BF breakdown as well (sub-cutaneous vs visceral)

Have a great day all.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We have too threads going here. This one has the right date for Saturday so we will try to go with this one. LOL I'm glad I only have to track one more day because with the two threads it's going to get confusing.
  • howie6267
    Options
    I wish the forum had a lot of things Mark. One is being able to edit the headers and the big one would be to get email notification of post.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a tanita scale the one where it has sensors on the foot and handles that is attached to the machines. It tells me the % of fat in my left arm, right arm, left and right leg, torso, overall as well as visceral fat, BMR, weight of bone, percentage of water, and muscle weight. It's BIA. accuracy is not that great but it gives me a range. My boyfriend recently did the hydrostatic thing and there is a 8% difference... It's actually pretty cool, the company has a mobile tank and it will go to different company and just park the truck in the parking lot and do the test at a discounted rate. The perks of living in the bay area and him working in silicon valley.

John, I do believe in eating seasonally, but I live in California and we are fortunate to have long seasons as far as produce is concerned. I was just listening to a BBC podcast on circadian rhythm.
    Traditional Chinese medicine is big on eating with the season and according to your body's specific needs. For example, I cannot eat a lot of "heaty" food (mangoes, grapes, deep fried food) because that will mess with my immune system especially in the summer months, I will eat more cooling food like melons, gourds and spicy stuff. I do notice that when winter hits, I crave bone broth and I love sucking out the marrows.

Kim, sounds like you made good choices at the habachi place. Good for you!

Carol, you ARE burned out. Take care and I know this may be hard for you but try to relax and not to worry about little things get those cortisol levels down. :wink: Have fun at the beach!
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Saturday. Got some honey do's done and got out the camping gear.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not feeling well. Almost missed!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks!

Rae - Hope your feeling better soon.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    And its Sunday, a beautiful day out. We got a good rain yesterday, supposed to get more later in the week while camping. Hopefully the weather men are wrong.
    Still struggling with getting more exercise. Started doing squats which has my legs a little sore but its not enough.
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Heron - You are so right. Burned out is such an understatement. I AM at the beach right now but I'm in the bedroom finishing some papers that are due tonight. But when I woke up the first 2 hours were spent trying to catch up on work things that have deadlines coming up.
    Yesterday was Carb Nite. I was told to not overdo it because I'm not really being strict with my UCL days. *FAIL* We have people here and I'm sorry but it was just too nice to enjoy everything. I probably didn't overdo it as much as I think I did.

John - this will sound dumb but what about people who live in the northern hemisphere and move to the southern hemisphere. Do you think the seasonal changes have an effect on them? They're opposite. I'm fascinated by this whole topic of trying to align yourself with how we have evolved.

SO who all will be recording with me on Sept 3rd?
    Have you tried to start up a google hangout yet?
    Make sure you have a google+ account.

Howie: Can you post the names of the winners on Monday or Tuesday? I'll need them to email me so I can get the google hangout link to them.

But hey… we are ALL winners, right?? What a great month of community sharing. It has been crazy stressful for me but I always knew I could find some friends here that would give me a smile and some motivation. THANK YOU!!
  • carolssalva
    Options
    And its Sunday, a beautiful day out. We got a good rain yesterday, supposed to get more later in the week while camping. Hopefully the weather men are wrong.
    Still struggling with getting more exercise. Started doing squats which has my legs a little sore but its not enough.

I'm right there with you Mark. I am over my cold so I'm getting back to the gym this week and I need to just get it done! Rachel Guy's program has me motivated to do more than just the minimum. Have you thought about online training??
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sunday. Ugh. Sorta bit impromptu CarbNite before actually starting CarbNite has my stomach in knots.

John - no not a breakdown of visceral vs subcutaneous fat. Just by region of body.

Heron. Sounds like your scale gives you much of the same readings as the Dexa.

Carol - hoping to make podcast. Need to figure out the whole mic / headphone thing. And the google hangout.

Chores around the house day.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Last day ladies and gentlemen. I puttered around yesterday doing a bunch of stuff that I need nice weather for. At least it has finally cooled down to the low 70's so I am not worried about heat stroke!! LOL
  • howie6267
    Options
    Whoo Hooo! Day 31! I will be there Wednesday evening Carol and I will post those who made it all 31 days tonight after they finish signing in.

Carol I thought the whole idea around Paleo was so you do not have to think about it so much. It seems like you are thinking about your diet more so now than ever. I hate to see you stress out about it so much. Take care of your self.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sunday! Got home from church to find out that my ac had stopped working....
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Well seem to have found Homeostasis for me 245 +- 5lbs seems to be it. Found my Minimum effective dose of exercise to complement that. BF% is at 22.2 % for me, was 22.4 % last month. Measurements changed slightly but nothing significant. Belly is still 1/2 in smaller than my hips so I'll take that for now. Next week is deload week, so will re-evaluate and configure a program that should create a slight caloric deficit while maintaining my 1RM capability at a minimum and maybe improving it since I should still be in a state of rebuilding after my prolonged De-conditioning period. It will be interesting to say the least.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Quick check in.
    Rae, I hope today is a better day for you:flowerforyou:
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah! It's been an amazing August everyone!!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Good Morning. Happy Labor Day Folks!