what do you do....

Ump78
Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
The work week is done. No pressing agenda. It's time to have fun. What makes you happy? Where do you go? What do you do?

Personally, I enjoy working in my yard. I have an acre corner lot, and it's a job keeping it nice. I spend my time mowing and trimming and just making it nice. In the afternoons after work, I haul out my camp chair and have a beer or two just sitting and enjoying the mountaintop view. Small, quiet neighborhood with a fantastic view.

On most weekends, I load my gear and uniforms into my truck and head to a ballpark. I Umpire baseball (tournaments only in the fall) and spend my days on the diamond. It's where I can forget about the worries and struggles. For a few games, there's nothing but baseball on my mind. Strike. Ball. Fair. Foul. Out. Safe.....Simple. Noone expects me to stop what I'm doing for something else. Noone has any pull on me. It's the one time in my life that I'm completely in charge. Not like I abuse my role, by any means, but I ALWAYS win and arguments. Things are the way I see them. Thought he was safe? Sorry. He's out. That pitch was high? Nope. Cockshot. Right down the pipe.
i can completely relax and watch the game unfold around me. Every inning. Every play. Every pitch is a well oiled machine, chugging along. I'm there to ensure it stays that way. God, I love this game.

So, what takes you away from the world and puts you in your happy place?

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Thanks for spurring the discussion!

I'm in a bit of a discovery mode at the moment on various interests, but reading is a definite.

As a kid I had migraines and the doctors didn't know how to make them go away so I used books as my escape. I never stopped. I love books! I can spend all day reading 2-3 books and be a happy camper. I love picking up a story and getting to cheer on a character and watch them find their potential and surpass everyone's expectations. It makes me all sorts of happy on the inside.

I've recently discovered yoga and it's so...peaceful. I feel like I'm giving myself a break each time I go to a class and each small improvement on my posture or the attempt at a new move makes me feel like I'm making true accomplishments. If I keep this up, one day - not now and maybe not 365 days from now, but one day I might be able to do the splits. Which is something I've always wanted to be able to do.

Other than that, I just moved to an artist community at the beach. It's full of aging hippies, beautiful cliffs and amazing art. I haven't had much of a time to explore it yet but I'm itching to spend my evenings strolling through the art galleries and just soaking in the scenery. I don't always get art, but I appreciate it.

Years ago, I studied abroad and had the opportunity to go to many art museums. I used to stop by each piece and take my time but eventually would just walk into a gallery and zoom into what caught eye and then move on. If I don't get every piece... that's ok. I was looking at a piece in this gallery and passed by a plain canvas. It was a simple canvas painted a solid blue. I smiled at the quirk and moved on to a different piece. But when I was in there, I heard a couple talking about it - 'oh, look at that. That's not art. Art is...' . A few minutes later, the same thing happened with an older gentleman, and then yet again. It made me realize that the simple piece was not getting any attention for it's looks, but was stirring a conversation that was invaluable.

Anyhow. I like art. Even if I don't get all of it.

So that's my answer.
  • Ump78
    Thanks for spurring the discussion!

I'm in a bit of a discovery mode at the moment on various interests, but reading is a definite.

As a kid I had migraines and the doctors didn't know how to make them go away so I used books as my escape. I never stopped. I love books! I can spend all day reading 2-3 books and be a happy camper. I love picking up a story and getting to cheer on a character and watch them find their potential and surpass everyone's expectations. It makes me all sorts of happy on the inside.

I've recently discovered yoga and it's so...peaceful. I feel like I'm giving myself a break each time I go to a class and each small improvement on my posture or the attempt at a new move makes me feel like I'm making true accomplishments. If I keep this up, one day - not now and maybe not 365 days from now, but one day I might be able to do the splits. Which is something I've always wanted to be able to do.

Other than that, I just moved to an artist community at the beach. It's full of aging hippies, beautiful cliffs and amazing art. I haven't had much of a time to explore it yet but I'm itching to spend my evenings strolling through the art galleries and just soaking in the scenery. I don't always get art, but I appreciate it.

Years ago, I studied abroad and had the opportunity to go to many art museums. I used to stop by each piece and take my time but eventually would just walk into a gallery and zoom into what caught eye and then move on. If I don't get every piece... that's ok. I was looking at a piece in this gallery and passed by a plain canvas. It was a simple canvas painted a solid blue. I smiled at the quirk and moved on to a different piece. But when I was in there, I heard a couple talking about it - 'oh, look at that. That's not art. Art is...' . A few minutes later, the same thing happened with an older gentleman, and then yet again. It made me realize that the simple piece was not getting any attention for it's looks, but was stirring a conversation that was invaluable.

Anyhow. I like art. Even if I don't get all of it.

So that's my answer.
    nice. Who's your favorite? I love cubist Picasso. I see it for what I see. No what I'm 'supposed' to see. I have 3 commissioned copies of his work. Familiar with 'The Old Guitarist' ?
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    I roller skate a lot!

:)
  • Ump78
    I roller skate a lot!

haven't skated since I was a kid. I'd kill myself and everyone else would die laughing. They'd call in several medevac choppers and scores of ambulances. It'd look like we all drank the Kool-Aid. Guess I better not. Can't have all you dead folks on my conscience.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    kid is a senior in HS, so IF he's home, do things w/him. if not, I have to get caught up on housework, grocery shopping, and the like. Not too much down time. I do make it a point to go to the gym. I will try to go out w/friends once in a while just to get some enjoyment. or go to the beach - even if it's by myself. love to walk along the shore and when I'm done walking just chill on the beach for a while. but can't do that too much unfortunately. have to work sometimes on the weekend w/deadlines.
  • bananafannah
    bananafannah Posts: 194 Member
    I roller skate a lot!

I love to roller skate! I have a secret dream to join a roller derby team. One day....
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    I roller skate a lot!

I love to roller skate! I have a secret dream to join a roller derby team. One day....

You too!?! But then I think of those movies and how fierce they are...and the fact that I wasn't allowed to be in volleyball in high school because apparently, I'm not competitive enough. It might not be the best idea for me. But it looks like fun!
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    We have a derby league here. I want to join but my daughter's sports schedule interferes, they are pretty strict with the practices.
    It's funny on the contract to sign up it states that it's not if you get hurt but when you get hurt! LOL They have a jr league but when my daughter read that she said no I am out. LOL I don't know that the jr league is as dangerous but ?? I want to at least join to do the practices, seems they are intense, don't care too much about being recruited to actually play.
  • bananafannah
    bananafannah Posts: 194 Member
    I roller skate a lot!

You too!?! But then I think of those movies and how fierce they are...and the fact that I wasn't allowed to be in volleyball in high school because apparently, I'm not competitive enough. It might not be the best idea for me. But it looks like fun!

I love this lol. It does look like fun :) I'm super fierce. It's just a matter of coming up with the right Derby name. I've been thinking about it for quite some time.

@scrapalooza: Haha, I like that.. not if.. WHEN. I would imagine the JR league probably is less aggressive. Too funny that she knew better though lol. Too bad the schedules don't match up. It'd be good just to get a little skate time in - if not to be recruited, simply for the exercise!
  • RonnaAustin1111
    RonnaAustin1111 Posts: 10 Member
    I love doing lawn work too. People think I'm crazy because I love mowing and breaking a huge sweat while I do — and feeling like I can't keep going but doing it anyway.

I also love the wind in my face when I ride my Harley and the peaceful feeling riding gives me..

I also love singing for groups of people. I'm about to move to another state so I don't have a band going right now but will again as soon as I get settled.

I read, camp, walk, road trip, teach... so many things make me happy. I'm a content person for the most part.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    A lot of things make me happy. I love what I did this weekend, doing everything I wanted even if no one wanted to come with me and on my terms and time. I went to see a concert by myself on Friday, took a trip outside of town, visited friends, visited some city's attraction (one was planned, the other I happen to walk by and I decided I had to go in there). Eating on a patio in the old part of town, just walking around feeling alive :love:

Music makes me happy too, to me listening to music is vital and I listen to music everyday :heart:
  • My weekend is typically spent catching up with my best friend over a few cold beers (or wine depending on how we're feeling). There are those rare occasions when I like to wander around town aimlessly. It's actually how I've discovered some neat shops/eateries. I'm the kind of person who hates sitting still for long periods of time and wanderlust takes over more often than not, so I must keep myself occupied one way or another.

If I MUST stay indoors, I'll probably play the sims 2, since it's my little getaway from the outside world. I write stories (don't laugh!) and just take them on little adventures since there are times when I'm unable to leave. All in all, I try to get out and away as much as possible.
  • My weekends are usually a combo of doing housework/yardwork while sprinkling some quality catch up time with friends and family here and overseas.skype is my friend lol my wallet thanks me for it. Of course during season, Saturdays are all about watching college football!