what did you do when your dedication weakened?

Options
trsttg
trsttg Posts: 21 Member
hey all. I joined this group because the idea of losing 20 lbs more by christmas excited me; and I also thought it would help me re-focus on my fat loss efforts - to no avail.

I went to a rib fest 2 weekends ago and allowed myself to eat without counting for the weekend. ever since then I've been unable to really get it back under control.

I'm still logging in daily and recording most of what I eat, but my logging habits have become sloppy and don't always reflect everything I've eaten that day.

do any of you who've been at this for a long time have something that helped you through a period like this?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My entire summer was hit or miss as far as logging or eating right. As a result, I gained another 10 pounds on top of the 10 I had already gained...OUCH! Denial was what got me through it...not a good thing. I did try several times to get back on track but I wasn't ready emotionally to do that. I hadn't hit bottom yet. My friends here were encouraging but, as with all motivation, it has to come from within yourself.

What got me out of it was when I looked in the mirror at a ladies boutique I went into...it was a full length mirror and I was totally appalled at what I saw...someone I never thought I would ever see again. Tears welled up in my eyes and I wanted to crawl into a hole. That was the kick I needed..I had hit bottom again, like just before I joined MFP.

This group is going to be my lifeline....I need this accountability. One thing that causes me anxiety is being embarrassed and since I want to avoid that, I will be here till Christmas and I will do what must be done. I WILL lose the weight.

Everyone goes through those weak times. I have to hit bottom before I can rise again.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I lost all motivation. The more I worried about it the less I did about it.
    I didn't gain but ........
    New month. New resolve!

Exactly what Crochetluver said. Exactly!

Looking forward to being part of this with all of you. :)
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I just stand naked in front of the mirror, that's usually the kick I need, but I also pray about it, I think sticky notes with encouraging words left on the fridge or bathroom mirror are great. Make a list of why you want to drop the weight. Also don't make large goals, 5 pounds at a time, 5 days of logging, things like that, You can do it!!
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The last few weeks I've been feeling stressed and eating very poorly. I intentionally stopped getting on the scale because I knew what the scale would say. Today I got back on the scale and saw the damage. It has opened my eyes and made me realize that I need to take control of my life.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find being mean to myself never works for me. If I feel disgusted when I look at myself I tend to think well whats the point trying. The only time I can lose weight is when I feel good about myself. If I feel strong, healthy and attractive in my head I then start to want the body to go with the mind. Sometimes I can't resist the cravings but the day after I try to put in perspective. I stand on the scale and say okay I've gone up by 2lbs this week, but since the start I'm still 6lbs less than I was.

I also had to find my reason for doing this and think about that constantly. The little things like I really want to get into a size 10 don't work for me, but the big, gun to your head reasons, the life or death reasons keep me focused. For me it was diabetes. My entire family is diabetic and I will not go down that road. That reason stopped weight loss being nothing more than a vanity issue for me and turned it into something I had to do to stay alive.
  • jafray4
    jafray4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me a few months ago and I took one day and weighed and measured everything. Just focusing on one day. Then realized how much I was eating so I focused on the next day.

I just try hard to log what I can even if it is at the end of the day. At least then I logged it. I always tell myself this isn't a diet its life and I need to let myself have the days at ribfest (or the fair, family picnics, fancy restaurants, ete) but I still log it. Helps me feel that I learn what I can do to balance things out.

I do make little goals fun things like fitting in a dress or a pair of jeans. It pushes me for something that I want and I'm more motivated when I get there, to make it to the next goal. But I make them something small like one size down or a shirt that fits but just a little to small. I still have big goals and the ultimate general healthy life style but it helps me to have little rewards to keep me motivated.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Above all, don't give up! Focus on positive things you've accomplished. You've lost 25 lbs! You've come a long way. Focus on small things you can accomplish and don't beat yourself up for hitting a bump in the road.

My motivation has weakened slightly in the last week or so, but I keep sight of the road to my goal. With my motivation taking a slight detour, I pulled out something from my closet that I would like to fit back into. I don't shop for clothes very much; I also haven't cleaned out my closet in about 8+ years, so I have a selection of items that I haven't fit into for a while. I've reached my current goal of fitting back into my wetsuit before my diving trip, so I needed something new to spur me on. I pulled out some cute red pants that I fit into when I was at/near my goal weight, squeezed my big butt into them - hey, they fit! Wouldn't wear them in public, but at least I got them on. They are now hanging front and center in my closet staring me in the face.

Take things one day at a time and you'll win the race.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am in a 90 day challenge at my gym I did very well not drinking any alcohol for the month of Aug. Labor Day i had a bottle of wine by myself. My eating was very poor, but I reset, reboot and get back in the saddle. I am not going to beat myself up for one day. We can do this everyone!!!
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My b-day was on the 1st , I did poorly eating and drinking all weekend and last night I ate 1/2 bag of chips..( my downfall)
    I am starting fresh today and logged food and exercise.
    Took my measurements also, have not done that in the past and was amazed and disappointed how my mid section had grown.
    I am committed to loose the 15 lbs by Christmas so here's to everyone in this group to say we can do it!!
    Lets keep each other motivated!!