I need to cut a corner- not good

Options
So I am behind in my marathon training plan. Not running to race, not even running for time, running to finish. This week I did 11 miles. I have 8 weeks until the marathon (dear god, typing that made me throw up from nervous fear :sick: )

So this is how LR training is breaking down:
1. 13
2. 15
3. 18
4. 14
5. 20
6. 10
7. 8
8. MARATHON

I am super worried about that jump from 15 to 18, like that is too big. But then I am worried I wont make my 20 if I dont try out the 18 and I dont have enough time to add a week in. The sinus infection two weeks ago and having a wonky foot in the beginning of the training have ate up all my extra weeks and have put me behind.

I am also super worried about my running. My long runs are at 14 minute mile pace on average. I need to maintain that for 20 miles in order to beat the bridge or else i am riding the sweeper bus back. I know I am slow, just so scared I won't make it. I am seriously freaking out today. Dear god, why did I think this was a good idea?? And I conned a friend into running this with me, only she is a running goddess and can run circles around me. Which just adds the pressure of making it as I know she can, I am worried about my abilities. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :sad:

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Breathe! I'm in a similar boat, only my marathon is an unplanned one (I won an entry) and 12 weeks out. I'm also a slow runner and often say my running totem is a turtle. Sometimes you just have to forgive yourself and then buckle down.

Here is what my training looks like if it makes you feel any better. It isn't really that different a schedule!

1. 12
    2. 13
    3. Half Marathon
    4. 16
    5. 14
    6. 18
    7. 14
    8. 20
    9. 14
    10. 12
    11. 8
    12. Marathon
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I hope that 11 was "my long was 11 miles" not "I ran 11 miles last week".
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So I am behind in my marathon training plan. Not running to race, not even running for time, running to finish. This week I did 11 miles. I have 8 weeks until the marathon (dear god, typing that made me throw up from nervous fear :sick: )

So this is how LR training is breaking down:
    1. 13
    2. 15
    3. 18
    4. 14
    5. 20
    6. 10
    7. 8
    8. MARATHON

I am super worried about that jump from 15 to 18, like that is too big. But then I am worried I wont make my 20 if I dont try out the 18 and I dont have enough time to add a week in. The sinus infection two weeks ago and having a wonky foot in the beginning of the training have ate up all my extra weeks and have put me behind.

I am also super worried about my running. My long runs are at 14 minute mile pace on average. I need to maintain that for 20 miles in order to beat the bridge or else i am riding the sweeper bus back. I know I am slow, just so scared I won't make it. I am seriously freaking out today. Dear god, why did I think this was a good idea?? And I conned a friend into running this with me, only she is a running goddess and can run circles around me. Which just adds the pressure of making it as I know she can, I am worried about my abilities. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :sad:

Is there an option to drop down to a half? If you can manage to hold your 14 mm you are looking at an over 6 hour marathon. Do you think you can run for 6 hours straight without stopping? I think you're in for a real sufferfest. Drop to the half if you can and go for the full next year.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lol no, 11 miles was my long run. Those are my LR distances, not my overall mileage. God help me if that were the case.

I know it is going to suck. I feel stuck. I committed to it and have another friend who committed to it because of me. Bib bought, hotel bought, etc. I am going to be stuck in the suckfest. :frown:
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lol no, 11 miles was my long run. Those are my LR distances, not my overall mileage. God help me if that were the case.

I know it is going to suck. I feel stuck. I committed to it and have another friend who committed to it because of me. Bib bought, hotel bought, etc. I am going to be stuck in the suckfest. :frown:

Well if that's the case then just make the most of it. Do your long runs as you have listed, don't skip any, and just try to have fun at the race. I wish you luck!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There's no half option for MCM, and bib deferment closed on Sunday. You're stuck. Enjoy the shirt and just run as many miles as you can :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just tagging to share with another MFP member who may benefit from the discussion. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1344774-tips-for-a-rookie-registered-for-a-full-marathon)
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    This is what I get for living in denial and putting off the foot doctor visit. 6 weeks of rest and I came out of it thinking "Sure, why not go right into marathon training?" And to top it off, "Let's have my friend run it with me." Now hoping guilt will push me those last miles of hell :laugh:

Wondering if I should change up the long runs anywhere in there?? Maybe? I am hoping I can at least cut the time down a bit during the race. We will see. When I come back here whinging on October 28th, please just pass me a glass of wine and feel sorry for my stubbornness in the face of knowing better. I:ohwell:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This is what I get for living in denial and putting off the foot doctor visit. 6 weeks of rest and I came out of it thinking "Sure, why not go right into marathon training?" And to top it off, "Let's have my friend run it with me." Now hoping guilt will push me those last miles of hell :laugh:

Wondering if I should change up the long runs anywhere in there?? Maybe? I am hoping I can at least cut the time down a bit during the race. We will see. When I come back here whinging on October 28th, please just pass me a glass of wine and feel sorry for my stubbornness in the face of knowing better. I:ohwell:

I think your biggest challenge will be to prevent your anxiety from making you do something that will cause an injury going into the marathon.
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    It is like you can see into my SOUL

<whispering> are you psychic????
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    On yer bike.

No, seriously. If you own a bike, add in some rides to your training schedule. Great, low impact way to increase your lactate threshold. It's like increasing your weekly run mileage without the corresponding increase of injury risk (assuming you don't fall off).

Cycling is the best thing I ever did for my running.

Also, are you still cutting? If so, you might consider shifting to maintenance until after the race. You'll recover and adapt to your training much better.

To increase your pace, consider at least one interval run a week, if you aren't already doing it.

Beyond that, just do your best, enjoy the ride, and take the swag. Even if you don't finish, you'll still have achieved more than many, and there's always next year.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    16 miles is my longest run. I run a lot of mid week miles so my total for the week is pretty high...55-70 miles. You don't gain any more cardiovascular fitness from a run any longer than 3 hours, so its a waste of time and takes too long to recover from. Make your week day runs longer and keep the long one the same.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it out. You are doing fine. going up 3 miles will not be that hard for you. Just remember during the marathon -- pace yourself and watch your time. I don't know if yours has a mandatory finish time but know where you need to be and just have fun. Who cares how fast your run? You are doing something that millions of people refuse to even try. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!