Do I really need to taper?

Options
jessspurr
jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
First marathon is on September 20th. I completed the longest run in my training program on Sunday. 20 miles and it went swimmingly! I'm going to be honest here, I've been hitting each and every one of my long runs every week but my mid week runs are really abysmal. Full disclosure: about 6-9 miles a week. Really. I know. A while ago I was doing about 15ish miles mid week but towards the end my want for running the shorter runs has been really lacking. I am embarrassed to admit that here, but there you go.

So! The last two weeks for my marathon call for an end of the week long run of 12 and 8 miles. Honestly, I'm going to keep my mid week runs where they have been. I don't want to increase them now but I don't think they call for any decreasing either. What do you guys think about the 12 and 8 miles. A lot of me is thinking while reading other forum posts from other first time marathoners who are actually running 20-25 miles mid week I feel don't really apply to my situation. Should I make those longer runs? Since my mid-week mileage is so low do I even need to taper? My only goal in this marathon is to finish it. I have no delusions of "racing" it. Wouldn't someone want to taper if they wanted to run really fast? The last few weeks long runs have looked like this:

16 miles(difficult- I was hurting)
11 miles (felt awesome)
18 miles (horribly difficult- I was in bad shape at the end- I think I had a "wall" experience...maybe?? But it was also sunny and hot which I'm not used to running in)
20 miles (felt awesome)

Should I ramp it up one more week? Oh my gosh. I don't know. All I know is I want to feel good on September 20th. What do you think?

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    IMO, the taper is what's going to get you from 20 to 26.2. Don't underestimate its value.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of unconventional training and maybe I just got lucky. I only ran 3 times a weeks and my mid week miles peaked at 13, a 5 and an 8 usually. I ran 23 2 weeks before my full, again probably against conventional wisdom. But there is value in the taper...a lot. I guess what I am saying is that you have options. But ultimately it's up to you.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It takes 3-4 weeks to gain benefits from any training run you are doing. So you won't gain anything from that time to your marathon. Speed doesn't matter... marathon pace is relative to the individual and the effort is the same for someone running 8:00 min/mi vs someone running 11 min/mi.

The taper is there for a reason, follow the plan. 13 and 8 sounds standard to me. And honestly, at this point, your mind is your biggest enemy. Starting to question your training and doubt everything is normal (trust me on that!).

And don't forget.. You didn't taper for your training runs... Bad runs are making you stronger!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You don't really "have" to do anything. I've "over tapered" before. I find I only need 10
    Days of cut back. The 4 days before EXTREmE cut back. Everyone is so different. Experiment with it. If you plan on doing another ;-)
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Ok, so I'm gathering generally consensus is taper. It's somewhat nerve wracking your first time! I imagine after you've done a couple of tapers and experimented a bit you would kind of learn what works best for you but it really feels like I'm just closing my eyes and crossing my fingers that I don't lose fitness in 2 weeks?
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You won't lose fitness. You will be running still just not same mileage. Tapering helps you rest for the big day. It serves a purpose.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    IMO, the taper is what's going to get you from 20 to 26.2. Don't underestimate its value.

This. Tapering is tough mentally...be ready for it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You still need to taper, but you may only need 2 weeks instead of 3. During your 12 miler, if you feel good go 15, if not stop at 12. Keep your last one at 8-10. Although your mileage isn't high, its probably high for you. Although you are not "racing" you still want to come into your marathon strong and full of energy. That will make the race hopefully less miserable for you. I'd stick with the standard, but if it makes you feel better, bump the next to last long run just a little bit.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Agree with others - taper is one of the keys to resting the body up for the race. However, one mistake I had made in the past, is letting my intensity of my runs drop with the mileage. Keep the same intensity but run less.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm gathering generally consensus is taper. It's somewhat nerve wracking your first time! I imagine after you've done a couple of tapers and experimented a bit you would kind of learn what works best for you but it really feels like I'm just closing my eyes and crossing my fingers that I don't lose fitness in 2 weeks?

You sound like every other runner at this point in your training. Just trust the process.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Studies have consistently shown a 1-6% performance increase with a taper (some even more!). To the the most benefit, cut mileage but keep up your intensity. I keep a speed session and strides even in the final week.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Studies have consistently shown a 1-6% performance increase with a taper (some even more!). To the the most benefit, cut mileage but keep up your intensity. I keep a speed session and strides even in the final week.

+1 to keeping the intensity. Don't run slower, just cut the distance.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. So, I will keep the same intensity of my training runs just shorten the duration and will stick with 12 and 8 mile long runs the last two weeks and possibly increase them a little if I feel good. Oh man I'm so excited! I am actually really looking forward to those weekends, maybe be able to make some plans with friends those 12 and 8 mile days instead of just coming home and being dog tired pretty much the whole weekend after a 16-20 mile run as I have been doing!