Plantar fasciitis and continuing to run

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
My wife has PF in one foot. She has taken a break from running this past week in hopes of making it better. But, not running is torture for her. Plus, she usually runs the California International Marathon, which this year is in December.
My question is: What is the recommendation regarding continuing to run? And/or does anyone have any relevant experience with running or not running to heal PF.
(She already rolls, stretches and has supportive insoles, of course.)
I myself had it for years and only recently got over it completely, probably because I quit playing soccer and I found a really good stretch. But, I had it for years -- perhaps because I never ceased my running activities.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've had it. Stopping running never made it go away. I kept running. It was never painful when I ran though. I kept stretching and doing strength exercises. Mine eventually went away. If it hurts to run I'd probably be more inclined not to run though.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've had it since the beginning of June. It went from excruciating pain to manageable to it's there but doesn't botter me.

I've seen a physio in June who told me that I wouldn't make thing worst if I ran on it. She told me it was a matter of how much pain I could tolerate...

I've been ramping up mileage for an October Marathon (Up to 55 mpw now) but I had to stop speedwork and running on trails (hills!) for most of the summer.

Also, it has gotten significantly better since I've started focusing on my calf and achille (Stretches and rolling and strenghtening exercises).