Introductions

Options
Hi Everyone!

Welcome to the new challenge :) I don’t think we have done introductions in a while so I figure it’s a nice way to meet the new people and get reacquainted with the older ones. I’ll start.

I’m Lisa, 30 and live on Long Island. I have been married just shy of 4 years and at the moment we don’t have any kids. One day down the road hopefully but not in the near future. I have been participating in these challenges since I stumbled across the group for its Easter challenge. I love the fact that it breaks the time into mini goals. Last week I just restarted my P90x and am looking forward to actually completing it this time round. The farthest I have completed is I think up to week 5.

I also volunteer a few days a week after work at the New York Bully Crew which is a local pit bull/large bread dog rescue. We don’t discriminate so there are a variety of dogs there but most are pit or pit mixed. I have been volunteering there for about two and a half years. For me it’s better than joining a gym. So if see me talking about my Freddybear (Freddy), Knucklehead (Roscoe) or ADHD pup (Bentley) they are all current residents of the NYBC. We have about 30+ dogs at the rescue at any given time not including those in foster.

So far this year I have lost about 40lbs and still have about 25 more to lose to hit my ideal goal weight. This challenge I would love to see myself go down another 10lbs.

Replies

• shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

My name is Ev and I am 30 year old wife and mom of a 2nd grader. I have been a part of these challenges since Jan 2014, I believe the challenge was a valentine day challenge. I had set off to lose 20 lbs and I was doing very well until June. I need to get back on track and make sure I participate as much as I did the first half of the year.

I lost 10 (keep fluctuating between 7 and 10) and decided that I really did not need to lose 10 more. So my goal is to lose 5 to 8 more lbs before the end of this challenge and I know that with my MFP buddies and discipline it can be done.

I look forward to gaining more pals and losing more pounds.
  • saranevans
    saranevans Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello :),
    My names Sara. I'm a 23 year old senior in college with full class load. I've spent nearly all of my life being overweight. I started trying to lose weight and I did pretty good, totaling about 20 lbs until i kinda fell off the wagon. I've pretty much kept off the weight aside from a few pounds because i still tried to work out little bit. But I've decided to hop back on fully this time because I'd like to have lose most of my weight by my graduation mid December(!!!!). I weigh somewhere between 200-205 lbs...and being as I've never been thin or healthy before I'm not sure what my goal weight is for right now. So I'm just setting little goals at a time ( 10-15lbs) until I can better gauge what I think my weight should be.

I'm taking 15 hours of some of the hardest classes I've ever had to take ( all science because I'm an animal science major) so I know its going to take more dedication not to eat out or skip a work out day!

I work out 6 days a week, I have an online personal trainer who is fantastic and inspiring. My hardest part is going to be my eating habits. Too often I find myself in a situation to eat bad or go with the healthier option and I don't always pick the better food.
  • knightaa1
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Athena and I'm 23 years old. This is my first challenge and I'm hoping to lose about 10 pounds by Halloween.

I was thinking about doing an hour of exercise everyday, mostly Zumba and maybe DDR. I also have Salsa once a week and may do Yoga once a week. I was also going to try to keep my calorie intake to the minimum as much as possible even with the exercise. But, I'm not too sure how healthy that is. I've been eating salad almost everyday and for breakfast yogurt/cereal/ or breakfast shakes. Then for dinner whatever is low cal, soup, tuna sandwiches -things like that.

I am curious what other people plan to do to get down to their goal? Thanks!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Hello All

Shooting for 5 pounds
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is amber. I live in west virginia. I have been with my husband for 10 years on october 23. We have been together since i was 15 and married since i was 18. I work in home health care. I have been on my journey exactly 1 year and 1 day. I have had a lot of ups and downs. But i am getting motivated to get back to doing everything again. I hope to lose 5 lbs in this challenge. I wish everyone good luck
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am the old timer i guess. I am 60, married for 41 years, 3 grown children and 6 grankdkids. I joined MFP in Nov 2012 and have lost about 125 pounds. I started at 293 , currently at 171 ish. Still have a little way to go. I started this journey when someone suggested we look at MFP for our weight challenges at work. I have been overweight my whole adult life and I credit MFP for finally helping me figure it out. I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in May of this year, which kind of threw me for a loop. I just completed radiation treatment and started on a breast cancer drug last week that I will take for the next 5 years. I maintained +/- 5 pounds for the last 3 months, so now it is time to focus on losing again. I am not an exercise nut, I usually walk 2.5- 3 miles 5 days a week, along with some strength / resistance exercises thrown in. I need to have both knees replaced, but weight loss and walking has helped so I am postpoining it as long as I can. I want to be at my goal weight before I have the first knee surgery. Let the challenge begin!!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Kathy and I think I'm the oldest, Claremoak, not you, because I just had my 64th birthday! I'm married with adult daughters, 2 grandkids, 10 eclectus parrots, 4 dogs and a grandcat that stays here now and then. I drive school bus during the school year and have been flagging (stop/slow sign-holder) for a road construction crew for the past 4 summers. I live in South Dakota, hence my user name.

I'm a fatty from forever, weighing 70 pounds when I was 4 years old. There have been a couple times in my life where I lost some, but I never figured out how to keep it off and I can tell that the slow weight loss using MFP methods is the answer for me. Very happy to have lost 40 pounds since joining MFP in February, plus about 8 more prior to that when I started to "watch what I eat" last August. So pretty close to 50 pounds in the last year. I figure it will take me another year or two to reach goal, but only 20 pounds until I leave the Obese Class 1 category down into the Overweight category.

These challenges have been a great help for me. My first one was the Easter Challenge when I started at 212 pounds... I now weigh 184 so I'm getting there.

I think I'm shooting for a pound a week this time, with 1 pound thrown in extra just because. Haven't looked at how many weeks it is til Halloween so I don't know until I hit the spread sheet what my goal will be. Will do that now.

Good luck everyone!
  • TiffHiff
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am Tiffany and I am 23 years old. I have been working in the public accounting world for a year and due to that work schedule as well as some family issues, I have put on 20 lbs in a year! My goal when I graduated was to get the weight off and I just seemed to have completely missed the mark. I am mad at myself for letting that happen and I feel so overwhelmed that I now have 40 pounds instead of 20lbs that I need to lose. I am hoping MFP can help me with my nutrition (I have always somewhat enjoyed the working out part).

I removed myself from the toxic family situation and switched job offices so I am hoping the recent changes will aid my weight loss journey. I hope to lose 18 pounds by Halloween. ( I know that seems like alot, but I just recently got off some medication that made me retain a lot of water).

I know with some support and accountability, I can do this!
  • Itbeginswithyourself
    Options
  • Itbeginswithyourself
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Shantel. I am 26 years old. I am married and have three children, 7, 3, and 1. I am a stay at home/work from home mommy. I have been overweight my whole life, and having baby after baby was my excuse to be "heavy". As I am done having children I have decided to get to a me I was happy with that could run around and chase my kids. I started on here in August 2013. I've lost 90 lbs to date, I would like to lose another 20 pounds. 15 to Halloween would be amazing, I know it sounds like alot but I would love to aim high, or low on my scale. ;) I work out an hour a day at the gym, and have my rest day on Mondays. I recently started the 30 day shred. I am on level 1 day 9 today. Nice to meet you guys.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm Theresa from Indianapolis. I'm a divorced mom of 15 yo twin boys. I work two jobs and we are active with the marching band. I started this journey in May of 2013, weighing in at 205# and being diagnosed pre-diabetic. With the help of MFP I lost 20# in the first 6 months, by learning portion control and starting some exercise. In the 8 months after that, I lost another 15#. I no longer eat meat, and very rarely drink soda. I was riding my bike some this summer, but got off track.

My exercise goal is to ride 150 miles in September/October and my weight loss goal is 7#. Our marching band is going to Disney World the last week of our challenge, so I'm gonna have to really work at it the first 7 weeks!
  • CumberlandGrammy
    CumberlandGrammy Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, friends! My name is Sara - without an H like one of our buddies you met earlier in this thread. :) I am 57 years old, the mother of three grown kids (daughter 32, son 30, and daughter almost 24) and one super adorable granddaughter who is 21 months old. Actually my kids are pretty cute themselves! I taught elementary school for a number of years after being an at home mom for about 10 extra special years. This is my second school year not teaching. This transition from teacher to .... (still trying to figure out what my next gig will be) has been a little tough as I miss having a jumble of fifth graders to hang out with all day and the wonderful colleagues with whom I worked. But, it has also been an enormous relief and blessing to have this time to regroup, regain my sanity and joy, and serve as a nanny to my precious grandchild.

The neighborhood kids called me "string bean" growing up, so it wasn't until the birth of my first child (a traumatic C-section - no time for a bikini cut) that my once flat belly began to bulge. I've always had a big back porch as my mama called it (thanks, mom). Over the years of raising kids, I was that hyperfocused-on-the-kids kind of mom (not so good for my first marriage) and just didn't think much about how I looked. Through a disastrous second marriage I went from 145 to 176 pounds. In the four years since then, I've fluctuated from 142 to 162. I can see these changes correlate to my activity level and calorie deficit. Hmmm, this MFP stuff makes a lot of sense!

Honestly, in recent years, I am trimmer and more fit than in my youth. This is all to say that I haven't terribly far to go in my weight loss journey, but still plenty of work to do on becoming stronger. I am not one for the gym even if I could afford it. Giving up my teacher salary has forced me to live especially frugally, which I actually enjoy quite a lot. It helps too that I have a very sweet and understanding gentleman friend, who shares his home and heart with me. We have a sweet little garden and six hens, plus a pond full of fish, to supplement our diet. This summer we've made fewer trips in to town for groceries.

I am 5'7" and presently weigh about 147 pounds. It's a good weight for me as most of my clothes fit, though I believe 140 would be even better. I am fortunate that through the luck of the draw in the gene pool, my arms and legs tend to stay slender, while the extra weight piles on my tummy and hips. My goals in this challenge are (1) to bring my weight down so that my upper limit is 145 when I have an indulgent episode (major sweet tooth on this old kid); (2) log 1,000 minutes in September working out on either our bike or elliptical machine (will think of an October goal when I get there); and (3) to try some new workouts on youtube (at least one per week).

Sorry to be so chatty!

I am looking forward to seeing us all work towards our goals in this challenge!
  • 989RunnerGirl
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Lovisa. I am 5'8, 30 years old and new to MFP. Over two years ago, I lost 50 pounds. Since then, I've gone through a divorce (no kids) and put 20 pounds back on. I am very active and I love working out. Unfortunately, I also love eating sweets. I joined MFP and this group to help get back on track.. I'm much better when I track everything and when I have check-ins.

My long-term goal for this challenge is to track my food/exercise daily. When I track, I make better food decisions and then I lose weight. When I don't track, I substitute cookies and chocolates for meals. This first week, my goal is no sweets. I'm a day and a half in. Phew, it is hard work! I'm hoping to ween myself off so I can be better about eating desserts in moderation. I don't want to cut them out all together but I do want to stop eating them daily (and sometimes multiple times a day!).

Looking forward to checking in!
  • jsandrews915
    jsandrews915 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My name is Jennifer. I am 42, married, with 3 boys (24, 9, 7). This will be my first challenge. I just started MFP last month at the request of some friends, who have all dropped out! I lost 41 pounds last year, stalled, then gained 15 over the Spring/Summer months. I really need to get these last 25 (or so) pounds off so I can keep up with my boys! Hoping the accountability that comes with this group will keep me on track. I will be so very happy if I am down 10 pounds by Halloween!!
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Michelle and I am a 43 year old mommy of two. My daughter is 9 and my son will be 11 in October. I am hoping to lose 10 pounds during this challenge. I'd write more.... but I have to rush off to my girl's cheer practice and take my son to cub scouts. I look forward to getting to know you all and helping you reach your goals!
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Hi! I'm Karen and I'm a 41 year old Canuck, married to a truck driver and we share a beautiful 4 year old daughter. About 6 months ago I quit my high-stress job to stay home and focus more on family, community, church, and me! A year ago we traded in city life for an 11 acre property in the country complete with 6 chickens, large garden, 2 cats and a new puppy (husky cross).

I'm new to MFP (past week) and stumbled across this challenge tonight and thought I'd join in on the fun. I'd like to lose 12 lbs over the next 8 weeks and am hoping to lose 42 lbs total by the time I reach 42 years in June. Recently I bought Fitbit Flex step counter to integrate to MFP and am having lots of fun challenging myself to reach my daily goals.

I look forward to getting to know people hear and welcome positive friendships!
  • ls8735
    ls8735 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Leza and I live in GA. I am 29 years old and I have been married for a little less than 2 years. My husband and I are hoping to start a family soon so I am trying to get to a healthy weight. I am a huge animal lover. We already have 5 furry children (3 cats and 2 dogs). I love to read fantasy and mystery novels and play video games. My husband and I have started bicycling on a regular basis recently for exercise and to explore the beautiful area we live in.

I have had a lot of success so far with this website and app and I am so happy a friend recommended it to me. It has inspired me to be more active and to get my whole family to think about what they are eating on a regular basis. I have lost 12.2 pounds so far and I can already wear a lot of the clothes I outgrew again. I am feeling great about myself but I still want to lose a little bit more so I have set my goal at 10 pounds to lose by Halloween.

Anyone can feel free to add me. We can support each other!
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Adriana, 25 years old in Delaware. I have a one year old furry son with four paws; a yorkipoo named Leo who I love very much! I work in food service at a skilled nursing facility.

I've actually been with MFP for about four years now, but wanted a fresh start, so I deleted my previous account, and recently rejoined. This is actually my first challenge.

I'm setting an aggressive goal of 17 pounds to lose by Halloween. I have a costume party to attend, and would like to feel confident enough to take some pictures. Still stumped on a costume idea.

Good luck to everyone!
  • victoria_b482
    victoria_b482 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Victoria and I am 27 years old with three children ages 7 years, 5 years, and 9 months old. I am from Texas and I am currently a stay at home mom for the first time ever. I just started this fitnesspal today and it was very eye opening. I started keeping track of what I was eating today thinking I was doing good and realized I wasn't. I am 5"4" and 155 pounds. I was always active growing up and I noticed after I had my second child I was not as active anymore and started to get out of shape. My third pregnancy was hard on me because I was so out of shape. I have gained weight now because I do not work anymore too. More than anything I want to feel strong and have my energy back. I would like to lose 30 pounds or more and just get toned. I started exercising and watching what I eat today. I hope this daily journal will keep me motivated to stick with it.

For this challenge I would like to just be able to fit into my clothes that no longer fit. My size 11 pants are as big as I will buy so right now I am in sweats and gym shorts until I can get back into them. I think 15 pounds is a reasonable goal for this challenge.
  • JJofWA
    Options
    Hello All,

I just jumped on board and am scouting around to see how this challenge works. My name is J.J. I am 37 years old (for a few more days) and I am a stay-at-home mother to four children. My eldest is 18 and my youngest is two. We share our home with a Boston Terrier (looking to adopt another) and an elderly kitty. We live just north of Seattle, WA. I adore the Pacific Northwest and the rain. I've been on MFP for about a month and a half. So far I'm enjoying working toward a more active lifestyle. It is challenging for me to be consistent as I lack real-life support for my fitness endeavors. Hoping having a weekly check-in and public goals will help keep me on track.

I'm setting a goal of 12 pounds lost by Halloween. That seems reasonable to me. I don't have any costume ideas in mind but something will come to me.