New Doctor

Options
Is so much better than Matt Smith. I'm excited about the show again.

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Thank god we're getting rid of the teenage fangirls......lets bring back some of the John Pertwee / Sylvester McCoy story arcs....
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ^^^what he said^^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like him very much but I did like Matt Smith too. Very excited to see where this is going though!
  • InaraReynolds
    InaraReynolds Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Took my son to see the premiere in the theatre and thought it was pretty awesome. Smith is his favorite (he's only 8) but he thinks the new Doctor is wicked badass and I agree.
    Capaldi definitely lives up to the rebellious, darker Doctor they said he would be, but I love that they still kept the humor in there. I'm pretty excited to see how the season plays out and how his Doctor reacts to some old (and new enemies). I think it's going to be a fantastic turn.

Now, if we could just drop off Clara and bring back Captain Jack for the ride.....
  • alaskamatteson
    alaskamatteson Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I liked Matt Smith but I also like the new Doctor.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a huge fan of the timey-wimey, wibbly wobbly Matt Smith Doctor, but he did well especially considering he had huge shoes to fill. As for Capaldi, initial impressions are good. I like that he's older, more world-worn than Smith, but it's the material that will make (or break) him as the Doctor.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    This was an easier transition for me because I never did get into Matt Smith's version of the Doctor. He was ok but I never could quite latch on.

I like this Doctor so far and I'm curious to see where they take the him and the series.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I liked Matt Smith, but am super excited to see where they go with this Doctor.
  • Caleb_Daniel
    Caleb_Daniel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In the next episode we see the new doctor face the daleks for the first time. it should be great! Then in the third episode he is teaming up with Robin hood!
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did quite like Matt Smith but really optimistic about Capaldi. Since the first episode I haven't really gotten a "feel" as to what kind of Doctor he is, but keen to watch him face the Daleks tonight!
    Still not that overly fond of Clara though :/
  • mrsbadkarma
    mrsbadkarma Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Since the first episode I haven't really gotten a "feel" as to what kind of Doctor he is...
    Agreed.
    Excited to see the upcoming Robin Hood episode though. :)
  • KNHolt87
    Options
    I haven't gotten to see the new episodes yet, so I'm a bit jealous of everyone here!!

It took quite a while, but Matt Smith grew on me a bit. I had a hard time going from David Tennant to him though. I'm really excited to see how this new Dr plays out. :D

Robin Hood??!! Yes please! ....and like another poster mentioned - Bring Capt. Jack back!! :D
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Now, if we could just drop off Clara and bring back Captain Jack for the ride.....

NOW we're talking!
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    He's very good, not sure about the relationship with Clara, I never really liked her, she was eye candy only
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    On the fence still. Then again I didn't like Matt Smith much early on, and I ended liking him a lot.

I will say I have a tiny bit of hearing loss, which makes the accent a little difficult sometimes. I'll probably have to start putting the captioning on. And his delivery is a little flat, but that may change once he settles on a personality.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I like him a lot, it's always a big pair of shoes to fill - I wasn't sure if the speech on the telephone from Matt Smith was directed at the audience rather than to Clara almost as if the writers were talking to the audience through the characters as it talked about 'liking him' and 'it's still me'. Basically subtlety in saying don't lose interest it's still the Doctor as Capaldi was milling around in the background humbly awaiting trial.

Whether I just saw more in it than it was or not I thought it was a good piece of dialogue and it emoted a lot in me from the fanbase who get upset with a new actor and also the characters and how they adjust to a regeneration.

You could see flavours of all the Doctors in the first episode coming through as well from the sagelike knowledge of Hartnell through to the zany character of McCoy and beyond almost as if the regeneration was pulling him inside out through all his previous incarnations. I liked that little homage.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

NOW we're talking!

Yes please!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wish we could see Captain Jack again. But John Barrowman is full time on Arrow now :(
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Episode two was a much better Dalek episode than other incarnations it had a very Genesis of the Daleks tone to it without feeling too forced.

Nice hat tip to Fantastic Voyage too. Or Inner Space. Or Futurama, whichever your poison.