Frustration - when do you actually SEE IT yourself

Options
jakicooke
jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
Ive been working hard since January and I know I still have a way to go - ive lost 54 llb and have 30 lb still to lose just to get to the top end of "normal" weight for my height, but when will I actually see the loss in myself?

Yes I know ive had to change some clothes and yes ive had some people make remarks but I just cant see it in myself I look in the mirror and I really cant see it and its so disheartening. I just thought id have done far better and be seeing something like the results I want by now

Replies

• cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Surprised you can't see any difference after 54lbs. I've lost 10 and can see a dramatic difference in belly and legs plus with extra exercise (cycling) muscle tone in my legs. Maybe you need to start taking pictures or something. If others are seeing the loss then it must be there!
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Have you still got your biggest clothes? Try them on and see how much "room" there is now, after nearly 4 stones there should be a massive difference! :)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Maybe, you should have gone to Specsavers.
  • chloe2300
    chloe2300 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ive been working hard since January and I know I still have a way to go - ive lost 54 llb and have 30 lb still to lose just to get to the top end of "normal" weight for my height, but when will I actually see the loss in myself?

Yes I know ive had to change some clothes and yes ive had some people make remarks but I just cant see it in myself I look in the mirror and I really cant see it and its so disheartening. I just thought id have done far better and be seeing something like the results I want by now

I'm exactly the same! I've lost 60lb and know I must be smaller because I've had to get new clothes but when I look in the mirror I honestly can't see the difference. The best way I've found to stay positive is to try on my old clothes - my jeans from a year ago fall down as soon as I let go - it always reminds me that while I may not see it yet I have definitely moved forward :)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had dropped 2 dress sizes before I noticed. The weight crept back on as I became slack, disheartened thinking I hadn't changed. Well that's when I noticed how far I had come once I noticed my clothes were tight again. The battle has recommenced:devil:
    Don't give in, you will notice a difference. Take yourself shopping and try a smaller size. When that bags off you then try an even smaller size. Take a walk and see how you feel in comparison to how you would have felt before the weight loss. Dig your old clothes out try them on and see how big they are on you. Try anything but don't quit, you will feel like *kitten* if you give in, whereas you shine more each day that you stick to your guns:flowerforyou:
  • jakicooke
    Options
    Maybe, you should have gone to Specsavers.

thanks really useful
  • jakicooke
    Options

I'm exactly the same! I've lost 60lb and know I must be smaller because I've had to get new clothes but when I look in the mirror I honestly can't see the difference. The best way I've found to stay positive is to try on my old clothes - my jeans from a year ago fall down as soon as I let go - it always reminds me that while I may not see it yet I have definitely moved forward :)

I can tell you "get it" its like I know when I look at where the scales were that ive lost and I know that ive had trousers that have fallen off me but I look and I just cant see it. its like what I know and what I see are totally different. do you think its because ive still so much to lose? does it take time for you to actually get your head to see it?
  • jakicooke
    Options
    I had dropped 2 dress sizes before I noticed. The weight crept back on as I became slack, disheartened thinking I hadn't changed. Well that's when I noticed how far I had come once I noticed my clothes were tight again. The battle has recommenced:devil:
    Don't give in, you will notice a difference. Take yourself shopping and try a smaller size. When that bags off you then try an even smaller size. Take a walk and see how you feel in comparison to how you would have felt before the weight loss. Dig your old clothes out try them on and see how big they are on you. Try anything but don't quit, you will feel like *kitten* if you give in, whereas you shine more each day that you stick to your guns:flowerforyou:

thank you im just trying to "tick off" each work out and keep logging and just hoping that one day I actually feel I have achieved and can see it for myself
  • jakicooke
    Options
    Have you still got your biggest clothes? Try them on and see how much "room" there is now, after nearly 4 stones there should be a massive difference! :)

I shall try this tonight as ive still kept all my things :smile:
  • chloe2300
    chloe2300 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I can tell you "get it" its like I know when I look at where the scales were that ive lost and I know that ive had trousers that have fallen off me but I look and I just cant see it. its like what I know and what I see are totally different. do you think its because ive still so much to lose? does it take time for you to actually get your head to see it?

I think for me part of it is that at my heaviest I clearly had a completely distorted body image. In the same way that an anorexic can look in the mirror and think they're fat, I was obese but looking and thinking it wasn't too bad...it's only now when I try on my old clothes that I realise how fat I must have been - I must have been kidding myself for years.

I really want to be able to see evidence of my weight loss but I think some of the problem is that I'm a work in progress. I'm still overweight (another 20lb to lose) but I think when I look in the mirror now I have a more realistic view. I know how I want to look, I know I'm not there yet and - unlike a year ago - I can actually see that I'm overweight and recognise that it's not fine.

I'm hoping that as I continue to lose and get closer to my ideal that I'll be able to see how far the scales say I've come.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think its all part of the phychology of our condition, how long have you been overweight? You get used to the image in the mirror and your mind will overide what the eyes see. For me - I was obese for 20+years, I've lost 6 stone since then, my waist size has dropped 10 inches and I am now in the best physical shape of my life - but I still see fat me in the mirror - I still see the excess baggage, the moobs, the belly, the underarm stuff - It will maybe take another 20 years of looking at thinner me before my mind catches up. I do hope its quicker than that though.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Your eyes will deceive you. You know you have lost 54lbs which is fantastic. Your old clothes tell you that you have lost inches as well as the weight but as we look at ourselves most days we don't see the change that has happened as it is a gradual process. I bet if you see someone you have not seen in a while they notice you have lost weight?

Do you track any of the other measurements you can on MFP? It is another useful boost when you see an inch of here and there.

There is a difference in how you look already and you do look better having lost the weight so far, keep going and watch how other people react and you'll know how much of a difference you are making.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can never see it in the mirror, the only place I see it is in photographs. Try taking some photos now then some in a few months time, and compare them to old photos, and see if you see a difference.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'3" and have lost less than you, but have dropped from a 20-22 to a comfortable 14. That is a big difference.
    You won't notice the change week by week, but over a year it is telling.

I still look at size 12-14 trousers and think to myself that I'll never fit into something that small, but I do, and that is a lovely feeling.
  • ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's a long term thing! :) Just stick at it.... it's about how you feel too? I tend to notice how much more energy I have and zest for life! This is equally as important as weight loss. Generally know I'm loosing weight because clothes go baggy on me and things wobble less! :D

Keep on with your journey and don't get to disheartened you have done an awesome job so far!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's going to be a while (if ever) before the brain finally catches up. I've lost 70lb(ish) and I only see it in a mirror if I catch a glimpse of myself. When I turn and look, I still look pretty much the same as before, to me at least. Everyone else notices it straight away.

But please don't be disheartened and know that it's just your brain playing tricks on you. It's not a true reflection of reality. I think someone has already mentioned this, but the best way to get a true perspective on your own weight loss is to compare 'then and now' pictures, side by side. It can really help. This is why a lot of folk on the site recommend you take some starting photos, even though you may not be too comfortable about it. (I know I wasn't - no starting photos for me...)
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I found that after being so big for so long, i just couldn't see all the weight i had lost; from a size 14 to a size 8/10, so i knew i must look thinner, but being so used to looking in the mirror and seeing fat, that that is all i saw for a good few weeks after. I just....wasn't used to seeing slimmer me! I would also recommend photos, definitely much easier to notice progress there!
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss!

I lost 3 stone last year but when i looked in the mirror i didn't see anything different about myself (even though i was fitting in to clothes i couldn't before) - close friends were great and commented on how they could notice, whilst i think other people felt a bit awkward commenting. Unfortunately as i couldn't see the differnence myself I became totally demotivated putting all the weight back on.

I'm now starting over again, and someone commented that i'm quite a visual person so why not try have a jar in the kitchen and put a pound in for every pound lost - i'm hoping that by seeing the jar everyday and it fills up it will help to remind me of my accomplishment as well as saving some money so i can treat myself as a reward.

Fingers crossed!
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd taken photos along the way. When I see the ones on the success story board I find it quite inspirational.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm using the £1 in a jar - only I'm putting £1 in one for me and £1 in one for charity. If I gain then the £1 goes from my jar into the charity jar and I take longer to reach my 'you can take the money out and spend it' point when I reach the amount of my treat!

I have had to start again as I lost the plot so this is added incentive this time.

As to 'seeing' the loss, I think that is difficult - feeling fitter and moving better - is easier to quantify. I'm not visual either.

Well done to those who have had such fantastic losses, you are an inspiration to those of us who are starting out (again in my case).