3 and a half months...random thoughts

Options
Well here I am 3 and half months after being sleeved...Im down 80 lbs and do not regret a thing. Just got done with a month stall, which right or wrong actually made me stay away from this site and my scale...but I did stick with the program. I just couldnt take the disappointment of the scale. I wish I would have taken measurements as I know I decreased in size during that month. So for all of you newbies take measurements they might come in handy. I have been religious about my protien but havent always got my veggies in...this had led to some uncomfortable moments in the bathroom...think pine cones. But as I have gotten better so has that. Just had my first major blood work done and everything is looking good. No diabetes meds, no cholesterol meds...Yess! I have had to force myself to eat at times and at others I have had to restrict myself...you will learn to watch what to eat very carefuly to get your proper nutrition in. Thanks go out to all you posters on here for the great info, support, and tough words too. We have chosen this and there are permanent consequences and responsibilities that come with it. Remember this is the rest of your life...treat it like the gift it is.
Cheers and tight lines,
Chuck

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It is weird how the scale won't move or even goes up a little but you drop a pant size. Have you tried chili? There is a reason cowboys ate so much of it. High protein diet and hours in the saddle make constipation a misery. I make a huge pot of lentil soup every week and just eat a little each day. Has saved my butt, literally. Especially since I still take iron pills weekly
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Congratulations on your results so far. For the first time I have actually noticed this phenomenon personally. I had lost good numbers on the scales but clothes sizes were slower to move,,they did but didn't seem to match the scales in my mind. Now this month,,,lower loss but down another size or so in clothes. People noticing more this month. My activity is still not as regular as I would like yet due to my arthritis reacting badly in the following days so I don't put it down to muscle gain. I failed to take measurements from the start but I agree,,,do it. I have to rely on clothes size to know when I am still losing when the scales don't move. Measurements would have made that easier and keep you sane.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It's odd. I never lose pounds and inches in the same week. Inches always come off during a stall.
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Chuck, for this post! I needed to read that I am not alone. I had my sleeve May 5. I have had a difficult time with a long stall but in the last 2 weeks I've had a lot of people comment on my loss. I feel slimmer and my clothes are baggy. I, too, have stayed away from MyFitnessPal, but I'm back and ready to move forward.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support. I need it!
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's odd. I never lose pounds and inches in the same week. Inches always come off during a stall.

I love seeing your "0 pounds to go." :flowerforyou:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Chuck, I too seem to lose inches when in a stall, I think that's pretty normal. Since I stall often, I notice the clothes getting looser quite often. :happy: I don't measure myself, I really gage inches off by how the clothes fit, if I can now wear something without a shaper without it either being too tight or showing the hernia bulge or if I'm constantly pulling up my pants, etc.

One thng I will say though, when you are feeling like you aren't following plan well, or losing the way you want, try to stay on MFP and let your friends help you. When I'm down about my progress, I get quiet on here, don't really post or respond to much, but I stay on because I still need the support, probably need it more in those times.

Hang in there! We all go through those times and we are here for you.

Pat
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options

One thng I will say though, when you are feeling like you aren't following plan well, or losing the way you want, try to stay on MFP and let your friends help you. When I'm down about my progress, I get quiet on here, don't really post or respond to much, but I stay on because I still need the support, probably need it more in those times.

Pat

^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^ And congrats on doing so well so far! I had some "potty problems" there for awhile and have found adding just a little whole grain carbs helped me lots BUT that is not for everyone-- for some folks adding that in causes cravings, so YMMV (your mielage may vary). Keep posting and letting us know how things are going for you and keep up the great work!
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good job on the "0" to go! It's inspiring!!!

I actualy had a 3lb uptick in the scale today- but tried not to freak- because I know it's not real. I know there's a pinecone in there, I'll be eating lentil soup for dinner, and I'll be back where I expected to be by Thursday. It's true- sometimes I take a break from the scale, but never from the program (though bad days happen) and never from the accountability of MFP. It keeps me on track!
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months post op and find that the weight loss is a slow process. I have only lost 35lbs. My calories are between 500-900 a day and I jog 10 miles per week. I struggle with getting in my water, I am super excited when I finish a liter in a day. I have went down 1 pant size. I don't know, I think my body is working against me. I feel lightheaded quite often when I stand up. I eat 3x a day, usually yogurt with some fresh fruit in the morning, tuna or salad for lunch (although its usually just 3-4 bites) and then some lean protein and vegetables for dinner (again a few bites) All meals combined is equal to 1 1/2 cups of food a day. My one weakness is popcorn, I found that prior to sugery I didn't care much for salt and now I crave it and for some reason I can eat almost 3 cups of popcorn at one time. So I try to only do that 1x a week. All in all I am losing about 2lbs a week, I suppose thats progress.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months post op and find that the weight loss is a slow process. I have only lost 35lbs. My calories are between 500-900 a day and I jog 10 miles per week. I struggle with getting in my water, I am super excited when I finish a liter in a day. I have went down 1 pant size. I don't know, I think my body is working against me. I feel lightheaded quite often when I stand up. I eat 3x a day, usually yogurt with some fresh fruit in the morning, tuna or salad for lunch (although its usually just 3-4 bites) and then some lean protein and vegetables for dinner (again a few bites) All meals combined is equal to 1 1/2 cups of food a day. My one weakness is popcorn, I found that prior to sugery I didn't care much for salt and now I crave it and for some reason I can eat almost 3 cups of popcorn at one time. So I try to only do that 1x a week. All in all I am losing about 2lbs a week, I suppose thats progress.

I too lose slowly, always have. And I stall often. Talk to your nutritionist but you might need to break up your total calories into 6 small meals so that your body is getting nutrition all day. Might be what's causing the lightheadedness. At 3 months out I had to do 6 small meals a day, couldn't get all my protein in otherwise. Just a suggestion.

Popcorn is easy to eat because it pretty much disolves when you chew it, so it's very much like a slury in the tummy. That's why you can eat so much and not feel full. I eat a lot of popcorn, all within my calories for the day and only after I've gotten all my protein. BUT, I have to measure it, if I don't I am eating way more than the normal portion amount without even realizing it. I am 3 years out now and still pretty much weigh and measure everything to insure I stay within "normal" portions.

Hang in there and keep working the plan. Doesn't matter how slow you lose as long as you continue to lose, you know?

Pat
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nkac1980:

I'm almost a year out and have only lost 45 - 50 (I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds). I need to lose 80 more to be to goal. I have the opposite issue. Everything tastes too salty. I guess everyone is just different. I walk for excercise because I have back, neck and shoulder issues. It sounds like your diet is good. Make sure you have enough protein and water and you should be fine.

You are doing great! You are only 3 months out so just stay the course. If you stall for 6 months, then I might be concerned.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i'm about 3.5 months out and I recently emerged from a long period of UNIMPRESSIVE in the weight loss arena. We were on vacation and traveling and getting the twins settled at their respective colleges at either end of the state. While I pretty much followed the program, I was off my feed and out of routine and i think that contributed. I've noticed that stalls seem to happen at certain points, if my very unscientific observation of when people post here and elsewhere they've stalled merits any credence. First is a couple of weeks out, then a month out and also at about 2.5 to 3 months out.

I'm losing well now and without effort. I just let it all go. decided not to obsess, eat when I know I need food rather than on the clock and choose foods in the program. If I don't weigh, I don't worry.

I don't want to say any of that too loudly lest the weight loss gods hear and smite my efforts. :)