RECIPES

Options
jhall1255
jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
Any one have any healthy, yummy recipes to share in this journey?

Please post below!

Replies

• Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is the BEST lentil soup recipe ever. I ran it through the recipe builder using the Kroger brand of lentils and Swanson reduced sodium chicken broth and it is 157 calories for a 2 cup serving.

Five Vegetable Lentil Soup with Kale

10 cups reduced sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cups lentils
    1 large onion, diced
    4 stalks celery, chopped
    4 large carrots, diced
    1 TBSP tomato paste
    1 medium bunch kale, chopped.
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 TBSP good olive oil
    1/4 cup flat leaf parsley

Soak and wash lentils in colander until clean.

Meanwhile, sautee the onions, celery, and carrots in the olive oil in 10-12 quart soup pot until golden. Tthen add garlic and sautee for 1 minute being careful not to burn garlic. Add tomato paste, broth, lentils, and pepper.

Simmer for one hour.

Add chopped kale, stirring until well incorporated.

Simmer another 30 minutes until lentils are soft. Turn off heat. Add parsley

From FitBottomedEats food blog.
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I love lentil soup! Thanks for the great recipe!
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Banana Pancake

My daughter told me about this easy recipe and I love it, so easy! Mash 1 banana, add 1 egg and a dash of cinnamon, mix well. Put into a small sauté pan and cook like you would any other pancake. It's so good and filling. Makes 1 large pancake
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That lentil soup sounds great. I can't wait to try this recipe.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Banana Pancake

My daughter told me about this easy recipe and I love it, so easy! Mash 1 banana, add 1 egg and a dash of cinnamon, mix well. Put into a small sauté pan and cook like you would any other pancake. It's so good and filling. Makes 1 large pancake

Mmm. There's also the higher-protein cottage cheese pancake! http://fountainavenuekitchen.com/kathleens-cottage-pancakes/
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Thanks I will try them, I love the banana ones because its so quick to whip up a couple of things, lol
  • sam1053
    sam1053 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have another pancake recipe. If you use protein powder this is a good recipe to use it in. It came out of the Insanity nutrition guide. It sounded weird at first, but it tastes really good.

Protein Pancake:

2 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1 scoop of why protein powder
    1/4 cup of instant oatmeal
    2 spoonfuls of water to desired consistency
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese + Honey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Under 300 calories per serving

makes 4 potatoes

4 sweet potatoes

2 cups red, seedless grapes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

4 ounces goat cheese

2 tablespoons honey + additional for drizzling

pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Poke holes in sweet potato with a fork, then wrap each tightly in aluminum foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes and tender to the touch. Unwrap foil and cut a slit down the middle of each sweet potato. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Lay grapes on a nonstick baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until grapes begin to burst. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Once sweet potatoes are somewhat cool, gently remove the flesh with a spoon, trying to keep the potato intact. Add the sweet potato to a large bowl, then mash with 3 ounces of goat cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and honey. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired, then scoop flash back into the potato skins. At this point you can re-warm the potatoes (if you let them cool completely) in the oven, then top with remaining goat cheese. Add grapes on top and serve with additional drizzled honey.
  • mustangEvie
    mustangEvie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese + Honey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Under 300 calories per serving

makes 4 potatoes

4 sweet potatoes

2 cups red, seedless grapes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

4 ounces goat cheese

2 tablespoons honey + additional for drizzling

pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Poke holes in sweet potato with a fork, then wrap each tightly in aluminum foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes and tender to the touch. Unwrap foil and cut a slit down the middle of each sweet potato. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Lay grapes on a nonstick baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until grapes begin to burst. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Once sweet potatoes are somewhat cool, gently remove the flesh with a spoon, trying to keep the potato intact. Add the sweet potato to a large bowl, then mash with 3 ounces of goat cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and honey. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired, then scoop flash back into the potato skins. At this point you can re-warm the potatoes (if you let them cool completely) in the oven, then top with remaining goat cheese. Add grapes on top and serve with additional drizzled honey.

Sounds so good, love sweet potatoes and love goat cheese! Gotta try this soon.
  • Ansin529
    Ansin529 Posts: 47
    Options
    May be a little off topic, but if you are looking for a healthy alternative to flour tortillas, you guys might want to check out the whole grain "Ole" Extreme Wellness Wraps... They are 90 calories a piece and the lowest in calories for this type of food... They are much much healthier than any of the alternatives that I have found...

Mix these wraps with a salsa and broiled meat of choice and you have a filling meal with very low calories...

I have done away with anything white and processed, which includes all breads. The wraps are the healthiest alternative to bread I have been able to find and enjoy at the same time... (AND CHEAP)
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    great idea- Bump
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazingly good.