hard to believe...just a little reflection time

Options
I was just thinking about how far I have come in the last 7 months (surgery date 1/29/14). HW 261, SW 239 CW 184. I have been exercising on and off the whole time since surgery, but haven't been as committed as I need to be. I went through a self-inflicted stall/extremely slow weight loss period for close to the last 2 months. Well, most of the summer! I was grazing and making some poor choices. I want to lose a minimum of 14 more pounds which is my lowest weight since 6th grade (I'm almost 35), but I truly want to lose 34 more to get to a normal BMI. School started last week and I sent one off to 1st grade and my middle child is going to Pre-K. It's 3 hours long and it's a 20 minute drive from my house. I have a Y membership that has been gathering dust for most of the last 2 years and I decided that I was going to start back. They will babysit my youngest for 2 hours for only $1!!! In one week I have lost 3 pounds. I have started tracking foods again and seeing where changes can be made. I feel as motivated as I did right after surgery. What has changed for me since VSG? I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace 7 months ago, now I run a 5K in 34 minutes. I can keep up with my children and they are benefitting from an active mommy, and also learning healthier habits. I can shop in normal stores, and even off the clearance rack. No more high BP, I sleep better, my feet don't hurt anymore, and my knees don't hurt when I run. Plus tons of fun NSV's like the simple ability to cross my legs.

Thanks for letting me reflect on my year so far. I hope this encourages someone who may be considering VSG. It is definitely a tool and you can find ways to get around it, like I did when I was grazing/snacking too often. But it truly has been the best decision I have made about my health and I hope I can write again in a few more months saying I am at my goal weight!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful progress report! You are obviously doing great and I applaud your dedication to continuing to goal and your great attitude! Your dedication and attitude will be what helps you get it all off and keep it off!

Pat
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Everybody is so reflective today! Thank you for the post and encouragement!
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We have the exact same surgery day :)

I appreciate your posting as it is helpful for me to hear that we all seem to go through similar ups and downs and at times can feel very much alone in the struggle.

And a 5K in 34 min? I am impressed. I'm pretty sure I'd still be at the starting line, lol.
  • raghav3101
    Options
    Nice to read abt you, infect I too had my surgery on jan 10, this year my sw was 300 lbs and my current weight is 203 lbs and im just 11lbs from my target weight......but I must say last 15 lbs seems to be the toughest one :-)
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nice reflection story. I wish you luck on reaching your goal soon.