Carbs?

Options
sparacka
sparacka Posts: 137 Member
I was eating a LCHF diet for about three months before becoming pregnant. I know that I need to stop losing at this point (& hopefully start gaining, at least in the 2nd & 3rd trimesters), but I don't want to revert back to my carb-laden diet of old. Does anyone know how many grams of carbs are needed during pregnancy? I'd like to try to add things back in like sweet potatoes, brown rice, and fruit, but still avoid bread, processed sugar and sweets. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that also as prior to getting pregnant I was on a lower carb diet (usually -100g a day).
    What I did was follow IIFYM recommendations using maintenance as my calorie goal. So far so good!
    There are days I still don’t hit my carb goals but it’s actually nice having a lot of wiggle room to add foods back in
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how many carbs you eat during pregnancy as the baby will get whatever it needs from the calories you're eating. I know several women who continued eating LCHF during pregnancy, gained weight and then had healthy babies. I would focus on your maintenance calories and the other allotments for the second and third trimesters. If you do that then you shouldn't have to worry about carbs.
  • simply_sarah_
    simply_sarah_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey sparacka! I have also been doing a LCHF diet recently (for the past couple months). Just found out I'm pregnant on Wednesday. I plan to continue to eat semi-low carb (between 40-70g net carbs/day). I usually don't have a problem achieving that just with plenty of veggies and a bit of fruit. I'm really excited and feeling empowered to avoid processed sugar during pregnancy -- before I tried LCHF I wasn't sure that was a gift I'd ever be able to give my babies!