Running Shoe Advice Solicited

Options
larrewl
larrewl Posts: 122 Member
I'm considering buying the relatively new Asics Gel-Super J33 to replace my existing Asics GT-2000 2 for my half marathon in December. I've been reading Chi Marathon and believe I should make a slight running shoe transition toward minimalist from soft cushion and strong support. I realize there are many excellent brands but I personally love Asics now. My stride cycle has been analyzed via slow motion video at a running store and is not terrible. I currently slightly over pronate with a heel strike (not extreme).

Here's a short summary Asics running shoe comparison that I got from Stoshew71:
http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2013/11/understanding-the-asics-running-shoes-lineup/

Do you recommend I initially try the Gel-Super J33 for my short fast runs or my weekly long runs? Any other opinion or advice is also appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I like to wear a bit heavier shoe for long runs and my mid weight show for marathon pace, then a flat for fast work. This is a pretty light shoe and much lighter than what you are wearing right now. I personally would wear them for shorter and faster. If you are going to use them for long I think you want to ease into them. Another reason to ease into them as I assume the heel drop is much less and if so you need to ensure your calf muscles have the flexibility and strength for the change
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like to wear a bit heavier shoe for long runs and my mid weight show for marathon pace, then a flat for fast work. This is a pretty light shoe and much lighter than what you are wearing right now. I personally would wear them for shorter and faster. If you are going to use them for long I think you want to ease into them. Another reason to ease into them as I assume the heel drop is much less and if so you need to ensure your calf muscles have the flexibility and strength for the change

What do you think about me trying insoles with the new Gel-Super J33?
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think those are probably good candidates for long run races, they still have a good bit of meat on them for cushion. I would DEFINITELY ease into them, I'd start by using them for speedwork after an easy run or two, and then see how they feel as you ramp up the mileage in them. I've been thinking along the same line, I need something lighter than my Ghost 6s for my 1/2s and upcoming full but I still want some give.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I only run in zero drop minimalist shoes for all my runs... the only "beefier" shoe I have is the Montrail Fluid-Flex with a 4mm drop that I use on long trail runs...my brother had me running in "barefoot" shoes from the start, so I can't comment on any other type of shoe...