Favourite & least favourite CrossFit moves?

Options
124»

Replies

• sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hate in a good way (aka, love):
    pull ups (because I actually see progress-)
    toes to bar (ditto, i finally got the toes to bar)
    box jumps (for months, I used the excuse of being 5'1" for not doing more than 18". This week, on a whim, tried 24"--no problem, it was all mental)
    deadlift (only time I can lift da big weights!
    front squats
    power cleans
    handstands (no HSPU yet)
    rope climbing
    push press

just hate:
    anything snatch and OH squats
    I just can't do these--shoulder injuries, weakness, feels awkward, I dunno--but i've made NO progress here. been subbing

neutral: running, burpees thrusters, double unders (might start to like these once I get better at them), rowing
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't really 'hate' any Crossfit moves although there are several I'm terrible at and some I can't do at all (muscle-ups, pistols and others).

There are others I simply refuse to do and choose to adapt to protect myself from injury. For example, I haven't bothered to learn kipping pulls-ups because I think the risk of injury outweighs the benefit. I also swing KB's to eye level instead of overhead for the same reason.

My goal when working out is to push the intensity to the max while preventing injuries.

I am curious, and I ask because I had the same thoughts regarding kipping until I read an article on the breakdown of kipping and butterflying. What injuries do you foresee on doing proper kipping?
    I somewhat agree on the kipping coment. I graduated from doing strict pull ups to kipping and after a few months of kipping I got bursitis in my shoulder and can only put it down to kipping. Now whether I didn't quite have the correct movement or due to a few weeks of doing them all the time I don't know - but now I have decided to forego kipping and sticking to strict. Not worth the down time although in WODs it sure is quicker.
    oh yeah, I agree, in the regard to the movement. I see all types of "kipping" and even though my gym teaches it one way, many of the members still struggle with the dynamics of it and their kipping looks rough. I can see how it can cause impingement and pain by aggressively trying to make it up the bar. I have no joint issues with kipping or butterflies due to learning the mechanics of it.

And you are going to be one tough bad *kitten* doing all strict, your back is going to look amazing and your strength will increase immensely. :drinker: :drinker: to you and marco
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I 'Love" or "Hate" any movements. I've gotten to a point in my 1.5 year CrossFit journey where I both look forward and dread every workout, no matter what. But I'm always excited.

I suppose I like most what I'm best at: handstand pushups, overhead squats, squats, and the best: turkish get ups. I have great balance and good core control. :-)

I have incredibly tiny hands (they tease me about it), so pull ups and TTB are hard--my grip is weak and my hands are small, and I can't use any gloves/grips to help me out because nothing fits quite right. And then I tear...argh. BUT, I can kip pull ups beautifully because of my core control (we do a lot of proper kipping drills and technique stuff at our gym--it's pretty awesome). I just can't string them together more than 5 at a time, if that, because of my grip. I need to work on it more. I also hate running. Blah.

:-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I 'Love" or "Hate" any movements. I've gotten to a point in my 1.5 year CrossFit journey where I both look forward and dread every workout, no matter what. But I'm always excited.

I suppose I like most what I'm best at: handstand pushups, overhead squats, squats, and the best: turkish get ups. I have great balance and good core control. :-)

I have incredibly tiny hands (they tease me about it), so pull ups and TTB are hard--my grip is weak and my hands are small, and I can't use any gloves/grips to help me out because nothing fits quite right. And then I tear...argh. BUT, I can kip pull ups beautifully because of my core control (we do a lot of proper kipping drills and technique stuff at our gym--it's pretty awesome). I just can't string them together more than 5 at a time, if that, because of my grip. I need to work on it more. I also hate running. Blah.

:-)

TGUs are fun, but I find I'm markedly better on one side than the other. Natural, but I also have a screw in my left knee which makes it hard to do right handed ones. Bought a kneepad which makes it a bit easier.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a "good side" haha!

We did Sotts press yesterday--basically a back squat, strict press when you are in the bottom of the squat, then stand in an overhead squat position--and I loved that. Yay for mobility and core stability!