Weight loss has stalled and I'm frustrated...

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
Stats:

52yo female, 5'4"
SW - 232 - Feb 2013
CW - 178ish
GW - 165ish, 35% BF by Dec 2014
UGW - 140ish, 25% BF by Dec 2015

I lost most of my weight with cardio and a calorie deficit (sedentary TDEE - less 400-500cal/day + exercise calories), little to no strength training. I am on week 6 of SL5x5 with additional core and leg exercises (leg curls & extensions for a bad knee - 40-50# high reps), and I dropped my cardio from 5-6x/wk (20-25miles/wk) to 3x/wk (10-12miles/wk). I was losing at a rate of 3lbs/mo and I was happy with that b/c I was eating good, was satisfied (and this isn't a race, right?). Oh, I also started C25K - currently W2D3.

And my weight loss has stalled. This month I have been bouncing around from 181 to 176. I know this is to be expected when adding a consistent strength training program to the mix, but I was just wondering how long this stall might last. I know if I just continue to work through it, I will begin to drop weight again; but of course, I would rather this stall be a short one.

And I got a Polar FT4 HRM and have been using that for my cardio calorie burns - they tend to be about 10-15% higher than MFP calorie estimates, so I know that is having some effect on my weight loss.

I just need some reassurance that "this too shall pass". What was your experience when you added strength training? I am willing to wait this stall out, I just don't to have to wait too long. :grumble:

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I'm sorry this has happened to you :(

I won't go into details here because I already shared my story with you so feel free to PM me if you like. I did want to post though because I know how frustrating this is and I completely understand where you're at :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have been at the samish weight for the same amount of time it took me to lose the first 30. I know most of it is diet, so whateves lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you using your HRM for burns when you lift? Those are likely to be inaccurate (and I'm not sure if they skew too high or too low; my guess would be too high). Are you being consistent with also measuring and taking pictures (I measure every week and take pictures every month). Often the scale does nothing for me, but pictures show changes. I also found a group where I could post my photos, which is very helpful because I may not see the changes, but my friends will point something out, and then I can see what they see.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I only use my HRM for cardio. I have been taking measurements once a month (on the 1st). I haven't taken any pics since June.

I think I will continue to weigh daily (I'm anal like that lol), but not worry about the weight. I wanted to look great when I see my family at Christmas, weighing a respectable 165lbs, but I know that 4 months of good lifting will definitely show. I will continue to take measurements and know that progress is being made regardless of the scale.
  • auddii
    Options
    I only use my HRM for cardio. I have been taking measurements once a month (on the 1st). I haven't taken any pics since June.

I think I will continue to weigh daily (I'm anal like that lol), but not worry about the weight. I wanted to look great when I see my family at Christmas, weighing a respectable 165lbs, but I know that 4 months of good lifting will definitely show. I will continue to take measurements and know that progress is being made regardless of the scale.
    I also recommend pics because they are such a useful tool. There are times my measurements don't change much, but I can see a huge change in photos. I had this weird hump on my back when I was 50lbs heavier. It's gone now, but my measurements would never capture that because it was nothing I could really measure. But, it's something I could easily see in photos.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My losses come in waves as far as the scale is concerned. And on that note, DITCH THE SCALE and take progress pics and measurements instead. I was weighing myself daily and graphing it to see the trend, but then I started taking pics and measurements and that's where you can really see the differences so I haven't weighed myself since Aug 23rd. For those that obsess about the daily scale number I highly suggest not weighing yourself daily. :flowerforyou:

If you're truly eating at a deficit, then this is not a stall. Water retention is a b***h! Just stick with the lifting. :smile:
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ugh I can feel your frustration! It's so hard not to be a slave to the scale. I have been weighing daily and only logging the losses. I have found that recently the number on the scale seems to affect my mood all day long, and also my desire to binge. If the number goes up then I think "I have to eat less today", I feel deprived and by 9pm it's binge city. If the number goes down, I think "hey it's party time!" and I want to eat more. Crazy!!

I just read a great book about intuitive eating and it has a whole chapter on how the scale can mess with our minds and our desire to eat. So...I'm trying to avoid the scale but still caving in every few days.

I hope you see some results soon...but I agree with everyone...results come in many forms. :-)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the way i try to look at it is: there are three different things i can use to reassure myself that i'm making progress: my weight's going down, OR my measurements are shrinking, OR i'm getting stronger. for myself, i find that those three things can vary, so i'm using the mind-set that so long as at least one of them is moving in the direction i want, i'll decide to be happy with that.

for reference: i'm just under 5'4", started trying to lose weight with cardio only more than a year ago, at probably pretty close to 150lb, and i'm somewhere between 125 and 130 now (would like to see what i look like at 120 again, which was what i usually was back in my 20's and 30's). i only touched my first dumbbell this april, and i started doing actual stronglifts workouts halfway through june. weight loss since then has restarted from a plateau, but it's also slowed down a whole lot. but the slowing-down is probably related to the fact that i'm pretty close to a realistic goal anyway.

fwiw, i think i'm noticing that every time i take a rest week from lifting i tend to put in more cardio again, and that does seem to bump the plateau, if i'm on one.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Is it me, or are you posting to yourself up thread?!

The same thing happened to me in terms of I took up weight lifting and the weight-loss stalled. I know I'm in the minority, but it seemed futile to me. My main goal was weight-loss, and on a deficit I wasn't going build muscle. So I stopped the weight-lifting and the weight fell off again. Lifting at goal weight is working much better for me.
  • auddii
    Options
    Is it me, or are you posting to yourself up thread?!

The same thing happened to me in terms of I took up weight lifting and the weight-loss stalled. I know I'm in the minority, but it seemed futile to me. My main goal was weight-loss, and on a deficit I wasn't going build muscle. So I stopped the weight-lifting and the weight fell off again. Lifting at goal weight is working much better for me.
    Nah, she's doing the same fitness challenge I am, and we like confusing everyone with similar avatars... Don't worry, she hasn't actually developed a split personality...yet. :laugh:
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh! Observation fail on my part!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Your profile says you're eating at TDEE -25%. If that's still the case, even with the exercise calories added back in, it might not be enough. You're doing a LOT of stuff, between 5x5, accessories, and running.

Maybe bump up to -20% and see if that helps at all? Or figure out your active TDEE vs. sedentary TDEE and experiment a little?

C.