#BikeSeptember Introductions

Options
So I was just thinking to myself that there was a missing discussion board..Introductions obviously!! I'm having an off week for sure. I would like to know more about each one of you. Please tell the group a little about yourself and your journey below.

Also, if you're new to this challenge, feel free to add me! I'm always here for additional support :-)

Caitlin

Replies

• caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Here's a little about me...

I'm Caitlin. I am 25 years old, born and raised in MA. In April, I learned I had hip bursitis and had to take a break from intense exercise for a while. My physical therapist recommended biking so I have been using indoor bikes the last couple months :-) In August, I finally had enough core strength/balance to use an outdoor bike (although I did have a bad fall aha). I am slowly getting back on my feet. I wasn't happy about only biking in the beginning so I created this challenge to motivate myself and others! Now, I have definitely warmed up to it :-) Monday night was my first day back to zumba! I am still doing other activities in moderation but biking has definitely strengthened my muscles. I hope everyone has a great experience with this challenge, regardless of skill level and passion. Welcome to #BikeSeptember :-D
  • kal509
    kal509 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Kim and I live in MA. I am currently finishing up my Master's Degree in education, which takes up a lot of my time, but I need to remain motivated with fitness! Having goals with a group of people will definitely help! This is my first time doing this challenge so my goal is to do 100 miles or possibly even more!
  • Cycle_pathic
    Cycle_pathic Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!

Dave from Rhode Island, former fat kid that fell in love with riding a bike a couple years ago, which led to a cycling addiction and then I started running as well.

Hope everyone has a great month!!
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i'm sara. i'm just discovering a love for cycling. i live in central america, so unfortunately the best time for me to get out and cycle (late afternoon) is sooo hot. i make lots of excuses. but as soon as i actually exercise, i feel so great and happy to have done it. i'm here to remind and help push myself to get over it and get out there, because like buckshot said, exercise really is medicine & biking makes me feel amazing.

my goal is 200 km this month, but i've decided to do the 30 day shred this month as well. so i probably won't reach my goal. but it is still a good goal to have and push toward. i'll be happy with whatever i accomplish, so long as it's more than i did last month (71 km).
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Aaron here.

I ride road to keep somewhat in shape for racing cyclocross in the fall & winter.

Nothing like racing with 100 of your friends in cold, wet and miserable conditions.

Fun times for sure.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Looking forward to the September challenge. Circulstanes got in the way of me logging at the end of last month but the challenge really motivated me to do a few extra miles so I am back again for another go - a little fitter than before and ready to push
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!
    My name is Megan and I am 25 (soon to be 26 years old). I bought a stationary bike many years ago and before a trip to Hawaii, I used it constantly for a month. I was keeping track of how many calories I burned based on what the machine told me, and got very discouraged at the numbers I saw...even though I lost 11lbs that month. It looked like I was doing no work! I ended up giving it up after the trip.

Some years later, I joined MFP and dusted off the old bike. Turns out, my bike was programmed for something like a 5'8" male who weighed about half of what I did. I was actually burning at least double the amount of calories during each work out!! So, now my bike is my primary means of exercise because I'm too much of a scaredy cat for a gym yet, and I detest running when it's hot or cold out...so, y'know...basically all year long. ;)

As an aside, I do have hypothyroidism, so it seems to be extra hard for me to lose weight...but I am doing so regardless! I'm tentatively halfway to my final goal. :)
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    HI!

JJ from Iowa. Been riding seriously for the last few years and it has helped me to lose about 70 pounds. Have a pair of bad knees so the bike is definitely easier than pounding the pavement.

This should be a lighter month as I lose Saturday rides hanging out at Kinnick stadium for the Iowa Games.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You might consider a mobile bicycle. It will get you out in the fresh air and sunshine.

You can bike in the mornings when it's hot out, and dress warm when it's cold outside or ride the stationary on foul weather days.

There might be some nearby parks or greenway trails where you can ride safely and get in a zone.

Either way, I'm glad you figured out the stationary bike, I love mine.

That will definitely be on the table at some point. Right now I'm between houses, and my real bike is still at another house. I'm planning on moving again in the next year, and hope to have a riding buddy to join me so I feel a bit safer about going out. :)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Pam from Vermont. I'm 55 years old and used to ride a lot before I had kids. Only had fat tire bikes for the dirt roads and trails around here. Well, the kids are teenagers now and I'm working hard to get my mojo back. Got over my fear and bought a road bike last month. Hope to ride cross country in a few years. Just got back from an awesome ride, getting over my fear of that skinny tire. Been spending a lot of time hiking, trying to divide it up with biking, this challenge is helping.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the add! I'm Lauren, I'm 32 and live in Wyoming. I really like mountain biking and also just got a road bike a few weeks ago, so my goal is 100 trail + road miles in September. (I'm also training for a half marathon, my 6th I think, so I'm not exclusively biking...) I'm at 39.5 miles so far. Unfortunately up here at 7200 feet, winter comes EARLY, so we'll see how it all goes. It's supposed to snow Thursday night!

Also, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, please do! I have an open food diary and try to be pretty supportive to my friends on here :)