Asking MFP for genderthings

Options
Lottiotta
Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
Hey! I've been on MFP for ages and only just found out there are groups, heheh. :)

So it really bugs me that they offer two gender options at sign up. I'm nonbinary, I picked the gender closest to my hormone levels because I figure hormones are relevant to various MFP calculations, and now the site is calling me "she/her" and telling everyone I'm female.

I want to at least hide the gender, if not replace it with nonbinary. Anyone else with me?

I'm thinking if we can make a co-ordinated effort we can at least ask them to let us hide our genders on our profiles.

Replies

• KingstonJack3
    KingstonJack3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one there's hardly anyone in here anymore. Good Luck
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Actually, hormones aren't strictly relevant to the calorie calculations - they're just assuming that women have a higher body fat percentage then men (generally true), and therefore have lower daily calorie burns. A cis man and a cis woman of the same weight, activity levels and bf% will have the same calorie burns. (See the Katch-McCardle calculations, for example; it's one of the more accurate calculations and it doesn't take gender into account at all.)

I'm all for the option to add nonbinary as an option, but until that happens, if you'd prefer male pronouns over female, you can just switch your gender and custom adjust your calorie goal. :) Just select my home, goals, and use custom settings. Personally I still lose eating more than what MFP assumes I would need to eat if I were female, and that's what my hormones are closest to.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really interesting about the calculations and your own experience of that! Thanks. :)

I don't prefer he/him/his, I prefer they/them/their.