Bulking Questions

Options
sardelsa
sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
Hi ladies,
I am super excited since I am starting my first bulk. At least I hope I am (still trying to figure out the calorie end of things).

I started off losing the baby weight, and the weight kept coming off. Now I feel like I could use a little more mass especially in the form of muscle especially in the hip and glute region.
What is adding to the complication is the fact that I am nursing my 10 month old. This makes it very difficult to know how much I should be eating and it can change from week to week depending on how much I am feeding and producing.

I am currently 121lbs and I don't really have a goal weight in mind, maybe 125-126ish to start.

I have a few questions.
1. How soon should I be seeing gains? I have been increasing my cals the past few weeks but the scale hasn't moved at all...could I still be at maintenance or is it too early to tell?

2. Any recommendations of types of foods I should be eating or does it not really matter as long as I am in surplus? I want to have fun with this (yay ice cream!) but I also want to be reasonable and fuel my body properly.

3. Does anyone have any success stories trying to gain while nursing or am I spinning my wheels here?

Thank you so much for your help! Any advice is helpful here :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hi there!
    Sorry for the delay- I tried to reply early but it's been pretty crazy at work!

Usually you'll see 5 pounds or so the first week or two- from water/glycogen refills. Most of the time people add calories- see the gain- and hold steady and then don't gain for another 3 weeks till they bump again.

How much did you increase? 1-200 calories often just gets absorbed into the body as "maintenance" and you won't see gains.

250 is typically a minimum number to start with for surplus- then go up from there if you don't see movement- I like to wait 3-4 weeks- but I'm a firm believer in lots of data points to really solidify the situation. That's just me. I wouldn't go any lower than 2 weeks though.

2.) types of food? food you like!!!! Aim for macros roughly- but you have to hit a surplus. Carbs, proteins, fats are usually how people rate importance for bulking (cutting would be protein first) My go to was milk next to oreo's crumbled into ice cream.
    Also all you can sushi and all you can eat brazillian steak houses) just more of what you want. And peanut butter too. don't forget that!! !

3.) Never have- nor will be- so I can't comment on this.

I would honestly aim for at least 10 pounds over though- at 4-5 pounds gain- that's mostly water weight- and minimal muscle gain.

Also I would suggest a min/max time window- so you have a bare minimum to shoot for and hold on to. I wanted 6 months- I was going to bail at 3 (I was miserable) but I have myself 4-6 months- and I made it happily to 5 after I got through month 3.

Wear stretchy pants- lots of them.

Be prepared for "bad" days- when you want to quit.

Brace your hubby/SO- let them know you'll have bad/fat days (you will).

Keep lifting- and feel awesome with the gains of lifting!!!

hopefully that helps a little bit for you!!!

Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thank you so much JoRocka!

Yeah I have heard of this 5 pounds the first week but I am not seeing it yet. I have pretty much been on a very slow increase for awhile now to find my maintenance, but since I kept losing I was getting frustrated and my body was starting to look, well, limp. Not the look I personally am going for. And this loose skin around my belly, bleck, hoping some muscle can help fix that a little too.
    So I increased to 200 recently and am adding 100 every week. Maybe I have to add even more to see some movement on the scale? So you wouldn't recommend a very slow gain then? (ie just above maintenance) probably would be a waste of time in your opinion? I would imagine it is better to just go all out and bulk.. then do a cut in 5-6 months or when I am satisfied (or can no longer stand) my gains.

Ok great. I hear all this talk on "clean" eating while bulking (to minimize fat gain, blah blah) and honestly, I know I won't be able to do that 100% of the time. The foods are too filling and it is just way too boring. Plus if I am at 2900-3000 cals now I am only going to get more frustrated and likely to give up. I LOVE pasta so it sounds like it will be my best friend (again), and ice cream, and peanut butter, and tiramisu... yay:)

Thanks for your honest advice. :happy:
    Ps. Love your profile picture, definitely an inspiration ! :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well- have you figured out what your actual maintenance is?

because it's hard to add a number to that if you haven't figured out what that is.

Re-comping is pretty much great for newbs- and or people who are okay with horribly inefficient ways to put on muscle- it is SO tedious and time consuming- women have a hard enough time putting on muscle- why take the hard route?

Bulk- and go for it- you don't have to dirty bulk and eat 1000 calories over maintenance- but I mean- eat at a solid surplus- you can always back it down if you are gaining to fast.
    1/2 pound a week is perfectly realistic- I put on 15 pounds in 5 months- which was pretty solid and consistent- and I've kept a fair bit of size on my cut. (LOL- tried to get into a shirt I purchased in 2012 - I was probably 170- so I'm 10 pounds lighter- and I could barely fit into it- I had to get my BF to help me put it on because it's not stretchy and it wouldn't' get over my lats)

as far as "Clean" bulking.
    Clean bulk is a small surplus 100-300 calories over.
    Dirty bulking is like 500+ surplus- much more fat gain.

"clean eating bulking" is useless. and really quiet honestly stupid. I mean dont' go out of your way to ONLY eat ice cream- most people who do this TEND to eat "clean" but don't go out of your way- eat what you need to ball park hit your macros and when you can't eat any more chicken breasts and broccoli and quinoa- stuff some ice cream down your pie hole LOL.

pasta is a great bulk food!- I don't eat it so I tend to forget about it- but pasta- oatmeal- bread- ice cream peanut butter- pop tarts- I know a guy who blends cheese cake into his smoothies bc he has such a crazy metabolism. Gotta do what it takes!

(thank you! by the way!)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi. You already got all the good advice from JoRocka but congrats on the baby (I think I read somewhere that you may need as much as 500 extra for nursing) and good luck with the bulk!

Oh, and don't worry about the belly, it'll go back to normal soon :smile:
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I am definitely not looking to recomp at this point so full on bulk it is! I am really starting to get into the mindset and you are helping to diminish any fears I have.

I know I really need to figure out my maintenance but think I am finally there now. I feel like I have been chasing after my maintenance for weeks and never really getting there. I think you are right about going for a solid surplus or what is the point. So if I am at maintenance now (let's say) would I be adding an extra 250 to my current calories?

Thanks for clearing up clean vs dirty bulk. Hmm cheesecake into smoothies? I guess some people have to do what they have to do!

Thanks 3laine! :)
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been bulking since January and in my opinion, if you are going to do it you might as well do it for the long haul. Gaining muscle is a slow process. It could take a year or more to gain 10 lbs of muscle, but you can lose 10 lbs of fat in 10 weeks. So I decided to suck it up and take the fat along with the muscle. It just doesn't seem worth it to do a bulk for 3 months to gain maybe 1.5 lbs of muscle at most. I don't even know that it would be very noticeable, but I don't know what your goals are. Mine are to really build up some mass.

I'm doing a slow controlled 15-month bulk. I'm up 9 lbs and all my clothes still fit me. Just now I feel like things are fitting a bit tighter, but no stretchy pants required here. In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with. If you do things slowly I think you'll find that its more bearable. I really didn't expect to be up 9 lbs and still fitting in the same pants. I still get to enjoy treats but I don't get too out of control and monitor my weight each week and look at monthly trends to make sure I'm not gaining too quickly.

For me it took awhile to see gains, but I did a reverse diet after eating about 1700 calories for 4 months. I think it helped my body to stabilize as I increased the calories about 150 per week. I'm now up to 2600.

As far as foods, as long as you hit about 1g of protein / lb and 0.4-0.5 g fat/ lb you can pretty much fill in the rest of your calories however you want. I eat a lot of peanut butter just because I love it! Other than that my food is the same as when I was "dieting" I just eat more now.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thanks burtnyks for the advice!
    So when you say 0.4-0.5g fat/lb, should I be limiting my fat to that number? That is really low for me (it works out to only 60.5 grams... at a 2900-3100 cal diet that is hard), after some peanut butter, olive oil and eggs I am past that limit, definitely no room for more peanut butter or ice cream haha.
    I am so scared to lose the definition in my stomach, but I know it is inevitable. Where is the first place you ladies gained when you started?

In terms of goals, that is definitely something I need to think about. Of course I want to build strength and be able to lift really heavy things, but I will not lie..a huge part of it is definitely aesthetic for me. I am happy with how I look now, but I feel like something is missing. I came across a picture of Australian fitness model Emily Skye and thought, WOW.. she looks fantastic. Obviously I want to look like ME, but she is the same height as I am and it helps to have something to aspire to. For me at least.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd class the fat as a minimum (same as protein) :smile: